Another NVDA question

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Could someone please tell me--or tell me where in the manual to find:

Back when I was using jaws, I could turn on the "JAWS Cursor" and look all over the screen--or maybe the current window. How can I get that effect in NVDA. Many times programs will give me a screen full of info and then just let me tab around a two or three button dialog: "yes, no, or cancel". I'd sometimes like to read the question before I answer it.

Thanks, anybody.
Howard

John Isige

NVDA-b reads a dialogue. NVDA-numpad 7 changes review modes, sometimes
screen review will read things, sometimes it won't. The next thing to
look into, if neither of those work for you, is object navigation.

On 11/6/2017 14:48, Howard Traxler wrote:

Back when I was using jaws, I could turn on the "JAWS Cursor" and look
all over the screen--or maybe the current window.  How can I get that
effect in NVDA.  Many times  programs will give me a screen full of
info and then just let me tab around a two or three button dialog: 
"yes, no, or cancel".  I'd sometimes like to read the question before
I answer it.

Thanks, anybody.
Howard

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

I have not used the jaws cursor but there are a couple of different ways.

In my case i usually use object navigation. It lets you get to parts of the screen not read.

but another thing that would be maybe the same is grab your self a copy of the golden cursor you can control it with your keyboard. for this add on go to nvda key + letter N then tools then manage add ons then go into it. Tab until you get to the button that says get add ons then press the enter key. It will then take you up to a website where you can grab it It will then need to be installed.

In the user manual it is around 5 to 6. This section covers navigating with the keyboard and the different cursors review text, screen review etc.

hope it helps.

Gene nz

On 11/7/2017 9:48 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:

Back when I was using jaws, I could turn on the "JAWS Cursor" and look all over the screen--or maybe the current window.  How can I get that effect in NVDA.  Many times  programs will give me a screen full of info and then just let me tab around a two or three button dialog:  "yes, no, or cancel".  I'd sometimes like to read the question before I answer it.

Thanks, anybody.
Howard

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Gene

I would suggest looking at a tutorial on the subject prepared by Joseph Lee.  You can download sections or the entire tutorial from
That isn't the official place to get the tutorial any longer but its still there.  Someone may have the official link so that people may keep it as a reference and not worry about whether the tutorial will disappear at some point from the official location.
You can look at links to the sections and see which ones deal with navigation and screen review.  You also need to learn screen review commands, which in the desktop layout.  

there are two main review modes, both of which are advantageous to know.  What you have in mind is the screen review mode, which is analogous to the JAWS cursor.  But object navigation is important because it gives access to things in some applications that screen review mode doesn't and you need to know it for apps such as many Windows 10 apps or other apps that use the touch screen interface. 

Depending on how you use programs and on what programs you use, object navigation may not be important to you now but it may be at some point and the tutorial discusses and demonstrates it.  Whether you want to learn it now, now you know where to find a discussion and demonstration of it. 

I haven't listened to the discussion and you may have questions.  The tutorial is popular among those learning NVDA.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, November 06, 2017 2:48 PM
Subject: [nvda] Another NVDA question

Back when I was using jaws, I could turn on the "JAWS Cursor" and look all
over the screen--or maybe the current window.  How can I get that effect in
NVDA.  Many times  programs will give me a screen full of info and then just
let me tab around a two or three button dialog:  "yes, no, or cancel".  I'd
sometimes like to read the question before I answer it.

Thanks, anybody.
Howard

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi, Howard,
You will need NVDA's browse mode to move freely around the screen.
NVDA + space bar toggles between focus mode and browse mode. You can tell you are in browse mode when you hear a high "pip" sound. When you are in focus mode you will hear a dropping "chopping" sound. A good idea is to turn on keyboard help with NVDA +1 Then try NVDA+ space bar and listen to what it describes as you repeat it a few times.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Isige
Sent: Monday, November 6, 2017 10:05 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Another NVDA question

NVDA-b reads a dialogue. NVDA-numpad 7 changes review modes, sometimes screen review will read things, sometimes it won't. The next thing to look into, if neither of those work for you, is object navigation.

all over the screen--or maybe the current window. How can I get that
effect in NVDA. Many times programs will give me a screen full of
"yes, no, or cancel". I'd sometimes like to read the question before
I answer it.

Thanks, anybody.
Howard

Gene

Browse mode doesn't apply.  It is used in web browsing and reading PDF documents.  It is a specific feature that certain browsers and PDF readers support.  The JAWS cursor equivalent is what is being asked about.

Gene

Sent: Monday, November 06, 2017 4:40 PM

Hi, Howard,
NVDA + space bar toggles between focus mode and browse mode. You can tell you are in browse mode when you hear a high  "pip" sound. When you are in focus mode you will hear a dropping "chopping" sound. A good idea is to turn on keyboard help with NVDA +1 Then try NVDA+ space bar and listen to what it describes as you repeat it a few times.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

NVDA-b reads a dialogue. NVDA-numpad 7 changes review modes, sometimes screen review will read things, sometimes it won't. The next thing to look into, if neither of those work for you, is object navigation.

> Could someone please tell me--or tell me where in the manual to find:
>
> Back when I was using jaws, I could turn on the "JAWS Cursor" and look
> all over the screen--or maybe the current window.  How can I get that
> effect in NVDA.  Many times  programs will give me a screen full of
> info and then just let me tab around a two or three button dialog:
> "yes, no, or cancel".  I'd sometimes like to read the question before
> I answer it.
>
> Thanks, anybody.
> Howard
>
>
>

I thought that there was a issue with it no longer being compatible with nvda in the near future do to some coding issues?

Hank

On 11/6/2017 3:05 PM, Gene New Zealand wrote:

Hi

In my case i usually use object navigation. It lets you get to parts of the screen not read.

but another thing that would be maybe the same is grab your self a copy of the golden cursor you can control it with your keyboard. for this add on go to nvda key + letter N then tools then manage add ons then go into it. Tab until you get to the button that says get add ons then press the enter key. It will then take you up to a website where you can grab it It will then need to be installed.

In the user manual it is around 5 to 6. This section covers navigating with the keyboard and the different cursors review text, screen review etc.

hope it helps.

Gene nz

Back when I was using jaws, I could turn on the "JAWS Cursor" and look all over the screen--or maybe the current window.  How can I get that effect in NVDA.  Many times  programs will give me a screen full of info and then just let me tab around a two or three button dialog:  "yes, no, or cancel".  I'd sometimes like to read the question before I answer it.

Thanks, anybody.
Howard

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

I think they had to get a hold of the developer for the changes. some thing to do with code changes.

You can also use the physical mouse as well.

I guess if that is the case we will have to wait and see.

Gene nz

On 11/7/2017 12:01 PM, The Wolf wrote:

I thought that there was a issue with it no longer being compatible with nvda in the near future do to some coding issues?

Hank

On 11/6/2017 3:05 PM, Gene New Zealand wrote:

Hi

hope it helps.

Gene nz

Thanks, anybody.
Howard

--

--

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Gene,

What a strange thing to assert!

As I speak, I can use browse mode on this message and look around at areas that the live cursor cannot get to. I can also use this feature reading Word documents. I can, in fact, use it everywhere that the JAWS cursor moves to.

Would you like to clarify your statement?

All the best,

Cearbhall

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, November 6, 2017 10:44 PM

Browse mode doesn't apply.  It is used in web browsing and reading PDF documents.  It is a specific feature that certain browsers and PDF readers support.  The JAWS cursor equivalent is what is being asked about.

Gene

Hi, Howard,
NVDA + space bar toggles between focus mode and browse mode. You can tell you are in browse mode when you hear a high  "pip" sound. When you are in focus mode you will hear a dropping "chopping" sound. A good idea is to turn on keyboard help with NVDA +1 Then try NVDA+ space bar and listen to what it describes as you repeat it a few times.

All the best,

Cearbhall

>
> I answer it.
>
> Thanks, anybody.
> Howard
>
>
>

Gene

The person wasn't asking about how to move around web pages.  He wanted the equivalent of the JAWS cursor.  That is not browse mode.  The equivalent or rough equivalent of the JAWS cursor is screen review.  Browse mode is an entirely different feature.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 2:48 AM

Gene,

As I speak, I can use browse mode on this message and look around at areas that the live cursor cannot get to. I can also use this feature reading Word documents. I can, in fact, use it everywhere that the JAWS cursor moves to.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Gene

Hi, Howard,

All the best,

Cearbhall

>
> I answer it.
>
> Thanks, anybody.
> Howard
>
>
>

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

There are still some bits of software where nvda b will read stuff that neither screen nor object nav can venture though. That seems to be a bit of an issue on soome windows 10 screens.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 8:48 AM

Gene,

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie

Browse mode doesn't apply. It is used in web browsing and reading PDF documents. It is a specific feature that certain browsers and PDF readers support. The JAWS cursor equivalent is what is being asked about.

Gene

From: Cearbhall O'Meadhra <mailto:cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie>

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Hi, Howard,
NVDA + space bar toggles between focus mode and browse mode. You can tell you are in browse mode when you hear a high "pip" sound. When you are in focus mode you will hear a dropping "chopping" sound. A good idea is to turn on keyboard help with NVDA +1 Then try NVDA+ space bar and listen to what it describes as you repeat it a few times.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie <mailto:cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie>

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Isige

all over the screen--or maybe the current window. How can I get that
effect in NVDA. Many times programs will give me a screen full of
"yes, no, or cancel". I'd sometimes like to read the question before
I answer it.

Thanks, anybody.
Howard

Gene

It's not just in Windows 10.  Now and then, I see times when Windows b reads something that other methods won't read and I also see times when other techniques read something that Windows b doesn't read.  I don't see this often, but I see it now and then and if I can't find something on screen I think should be there, I try all methods until I find one that works, if any do.  Also, because of the complexities of looking at all the layers using object navigation in some programs, it's simpler and easier to just use Windows b and let everything read at times, until it gets to what I want.  Then, if I stop reading very quickly, object navigation, which follows what Windows b is reading, is in the right place or just about the right place. 

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 9:01 AM

There are still some bits of software where nvda b will read stuff that
neither screen nor object nav can venture though. That seems to be a bit of
an issue on soome windows 10 screens.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 8:48 AM

Gene,

As I speak, I can use browse mode on this message and look around at areas
that the live cursor cannot get to. I can also use this feature reading Word
documents. I can, in fact, use it everywhere that the JAWS cursor moves to.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Browse mode doesn't apply.  It is used in web browsing and reading PDF
documents.  It is a specific feature that certain browsers and PDF readers
support.  The JAWS cursor equivalent is what is being asked about.

Gene

From: Cearbhall O'Meadhra <mailto:cearbhall.omeadhra@...>

Hi, Howard,
NVDA + space bar toggles between focus mode and browse mode. You can tell
you are in browse mode when you hear a high  "pip" sound. When you are in
focus mode you will hear a dropping "chopping" sound. A good idea is to turn
on keyboard help with NVDA +1 Then try NVDA+ space bar and listen to what it
describes as you repeat it a few times.

All the best,

Cearbhall

<mailto:cearbhall.omeadhra@...>

[mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Isige

NVDA-b reads a dialogue. NVDA-numpad 7 changes review modes, sometimes
screen review will read things, sometimes it won't. The next thing to look
into, if neither of those work for you, is object navigation.

>
> I answer it.
>
> Thanks, anybody.
> Howard