Does anymone have experience with editing google docs on the web with NVDA?

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello all,
I am actually working with somebody on a good structured google doc.
The short cuts list says that you can reach the next heading by pressing ctrl+alt, then n then h.
This is conflicting with the shortcut for starting NVDA.
Going on browse mode and hitting h just goes to the next heading but not to the following.
Do you have any hints on this?
Second, if a document contains a table of content, is there a way to jump to one specific section? Activating a link to this section does not work for me.
thank you for your help.
Best
Sylvie

Felix G.

Hello Sylvie,
in case you don't find any answers here, you might also want to try asking these questions in the Google Group about accessibility of Google products. This can be found at: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/accessible
Greetings,
Felix

Sylvie Duchateau <sduchateau@...> schrieb am Di., 7. Nov. 2017 um 12:08 Uhr:

Hello all,
I am actually working with somebody on a good structured google doc.
The short cuts list says that you can reach the next heading by pressing
ctrl+alt, then n then h.
This is conflicting with the shortcut for starting NVDA.
Going on browse mode and hitting h just goes to the next heading but not
to the following.
Do you have any hints on this?
Second, if a document contains a table of content, is there a way to
jump to one specific section? Activating a link to this section does not
work for me.
thank you for your help.
Best
Sylvie

Tony Ballou

Hi Sylvie,

Not sure if this will work but before executing the command you want in
google docs hit insert-f2 which will tell NVDA to pass the next string
of commands directly to the application that you are working in then try
the command again. Hope this helps.

Tony

On 11/7/2017 6:08 AM, Sylvie Duchateau wrote:
Hello all,
I am actually working with somebody on a good structured google doc.
The short cuts list says that you can reach the next heading by
pressing ctrl+alt, then n then h.
This is conflicting with the shortcut for starting NVDA.
Going on browse mode and hitting h just goes to the next heading but
not to the following.
Do you have any hints on this?
Second, if a document contains a table of content, is there a way to
jump to one specific section? Activating a link to this section does
not work for me.
thank you for your help.
Best
Sylvie

Sylvie Duchateau

Hi Tony and all,

The problem is that this shortcut is not a NVDA command but a windows shortcut.

So nvda+F2 cannot and does not work.

But thank you for trying to help!

Sylvie

Le 07/11/2017 à 17:15, Tony Ballou a écrit :

[...]

Michal Rada

Hi,

Yes, i working with google office in my office :-D

Documents, Slides and Sheets are fully accessible with Jaws, you must enable accessibility support by keystroke ALT+CTRL+Z, but, it works only in Mozilla Firefox. Other browsers does not work properly.

There are some tips for using documents.

* Moving classical by arrow keys, but CTRL+arrows works too.

* There are many keyboard shortcuts for navigation and using these apps, look here https://support.google.com/docs/answer/179738?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

* There are basic tips and guides - look here https://support.google.com/docs/answer/1632201?hl=en

* Verry usefull tip is moving by headings - it works with keystrokes ALT+SHIFT+T and O

* Menus are accessible with ALT+SHIFT+letter - for example ALT+SHIFT+F for File menu, etc.

* And, if yoy focussed menu, try TAB and SHIFT+TAB to move to other important controls, tool bars, quick document bar, etc.

Try it, with Firefox its great.

Michal

Dne 7.11.2017 v 12:08 Sylvie Duchateau napsal(a):

Hello all,
I am actually working with somebody on a good structured google doc.
The short cuts list says that you can reach the next heading by pressing ctrl+alt, then n then h.
This is conflicting with the shortcut for starting NVDA.
Going on browse mode and hitting h just goes to the next heading but not to the following.
Do you have any hints on this?
Second, if a document contains a table of content, is there a way to jump to one specific section? Activating a link to this section does not work for me.
thank you for your help.
Best
Sylvie

Michal Rada

ooooooh, sorry,

with NVDA. But, it may work with Jaws too.

Dne 7.11.2017 v 17:34 Michal Rada napsal(a):

[...]

And, sure, there are answers to your questions:

1) - try combinations ALT+SHIFT+A, then H, then N - it works. It calls command separratelly by menu levels (Accessibility menu, then Headings, then Next).

2) Try ALT+ENTER - it works for me. But as I say before, try to use headings list by ALT+SHIFT+T, then O. This displays tree with navigation, you can move by arrows up and down and ENTER to jump to heading in document.

Helps?

[...]

Gene

The shortcut command for opening NVDA is a Windows command as are all short cuts.  The bypass command will bypass actual screen-reader commands that are intefeering but not shortcuts.  I would suggest changing the shortcut key.

Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 10:15 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Does anymone have experience with editing google docs on the web with NVDA?

Hi Sylvie,

Not sure if this will work but before executing the command you want in
google docs hit insert-f2 which will tell NVDA to pass the next string
of commands directly to the application that you are working in then try
the command again. Hope this helps.

Tony

On 11/7/2017 6:08 AM, Sylvie Duchateau wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am actually working with somebody on a good structured google doc.
> The short cuts list says that you can reach the next heading by
> pressing ctrl+alt, then n then h.
> This is conflicting with the shortcut for starting NVDA.
> Going on browse mode and hitting h just goes to the next heading but
> not to the following.
> Do you have any hints on this?
> Second, if a document contains a table of content, is there a way to
> jump to one specific section? Activating a link to this section does
> not work for me.
> thank you for your help.
> Best
> Sylvie

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I thought you effectively had to be in focus mode to use google docs? I have to say I found their online stuff so coounter intuitive I lost interest quite quickly. Kind of why are we bothering came to mind when you can collaborate ove other systems using normal office products.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Hi Michal and all,

Thank you for all your tips.

I don't want to use google docs with Jaws as I use Jaws as a demo and only when I have to, as NVDA is my favourite screen reader.

I did not know the shortcuts you mentionned, they are not listed in google's short cuts I looked at. I will try them.

For your information, google docs works fine when you activate screen reader support with ctrl+alt+Z and braille support.

I also tried it with chrome and it works good with NVDA.

Thanks again, I will try all this.

Best

Sylvie

Le 07/11/2017 à 17:51, Michal Rada a écrit :
[...]

Hi, do you using Google Docs with NVDA and Chrome?

Sadly, i have problem. If I run Docs in Chrome browser, content of document isnt spoken, but it speaks "about:blank" everytime i press any key.

I tried switch off and switch on screenreader support, but it does not works.

Michal