Topics

Question about using quick books with NVDA

chris judge

Good morning everyone.

I have a client who has just lost most of her vision. She worked as an accountant and used a program called quick books. In my experience we have had terrible success with screen readers and accounting software in the past. Does anyone know if this has changed. Can NVDA be made to work with quick books? If not, is there any accounting software that will work with NVdA, or any other screen reader? Thanks for any help you can give.

Richard Kuzma

Good morning,

I have used quickbooks as a sighted person,

But since lost my sight five years ago I have not tried it.

I do know they had an accessibility project a while back to make it accessible.

Not sure it was with jaws or nvda. You may want to give them a call as I remember it not being the latest and greatest version.

Let me know if you find anything out and if I am incorrect or not, and it I come across anything else will let you know.

Thanks

Rich

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of chris judge
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 5:11 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Question about using quick books with NVDA

Good morning everyone.

I have a client who has just lost most of her vision. She worked as an accountant and used a program called quick books. In my experience we have had terrible success with screen readers and accounting software in the past. Does anyone know if this has changed. Can NVDA be made to work with quick books? If not, is there any accounting software that will work with NVdA, or any other screen reader? Thanks for any help you can give.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

squi49@...

Hi, I my self am curious as to weather NVDA can be made to work with Quickbooks pro 2015, in the main screens such as create invoice screen, and the menues of quickbooks.
If it can, and if any one with some technical know how can assist, I'd be happy  to try it out. since we also are running quickbooks here, and I'm prevented from using it, due to the screen reader not working with it. There was a JFW project if memory serves, but I am not sure if NVDA also had one.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I don't know but our charity is now using this software and the chair is visually impaired.
So if anyone can tell us a good route to go, then please do so. I'm sure I saw talk on this on the add ons site some months back but it was not an issue then.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 10:11 AM

Good morning everyone.

I have a client who has just lost most of her vision. She worked as an
accountant and used a program called quick books. In my experience we have
had terrible success with screen readers and accounting software in the
past. Does anyone know if this has changed. Can NVDA be made to work with
quick books? If not, is there any accounting software that will work with
NVdA, or any other screen reader? Thanks for any help you can give.

Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...>

N2 It, or however it's spelled, the people who made Quickin, which by the way, was an accessibility nightmare, are the same people who make Quickbooks.

I have actually seen an audio demo, though I don't remember where, floating around of Quickbooks 2016, and though it was being used with JAWS, not NVDA, no scripts were needed, or anything.

From what I hear, Quickbooks at least back about 2 versions ago was ridiculously accessible! In fact, I don't remember there being much that wasn't! accessible within the software.

So, I would say, the likelyhood of this working is extremely extremely high.

Just for you all's information, there is! another good opoensource accounting software, which is available on the Mac, Windows, and even Linux. I think it's the most accessible from what I hear on Linux, but, you might wanna still try it on Windows. I've never done so, but there's a possibility it might work.

The software is called GNUCash.

That's G N U, then the word cash, like C, A, S, H, all ran together as one word. No hyphen, or anything.
---
Christopher Gilland
Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries

Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 12:35 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Question about using quick books with NVDA

I don't know but our charity is now using this software  and the chair is
visually impaired.
 So if anyone can tell us a good route to go, then please do so. I'm sure I
saw talk on this on the add ons site some months back but it was not an
issue then.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 10:11 AM

> Good morning everyone.
>
>
>
> I have a client who has just lost most of her vision. She worked as an
> accountant and used a program called quick books. In my experience we have
> had terrible success with screen readers and accounting software in the
> past. Does anyone know if this has changed. Can NVDA be made to work with
> quick books? If not, is there any accounting software that will work with
> NVdA, or any other screen reader? Thanks for any help you can give.
>
>

Florian Ionașcu

Hello Chris!
Though I've never used QuickBooks, I can help you a bit. There is an NVDA add-on called QuickBooks 2014 Support. It makes QuickBooks more accessible with NVDA. Find out more here. https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/quickBooks2014.en.html
Cheers,
Florian

Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...>

You are awesome!

Thanks.
---
Christopher Gilland
Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries

Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 1:49 PM

Hello Chris!
Though I've never used QuickBooks, I can help you a bit. There is an NVDA add-on called QuickBooks 2014 Support. It makes QuickBooks more accessible with NVDA. Find out more here. https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/quickBooks2014.en.html
Cheers,
Florian

Florian Ionașcu

Thanks man. I enjoy that I could help the author of this topic.

Steve Nutt

Hi,

I would recommend Quickbooks Online as opposed to Quickbooks.  Although Quickbooks Online isn’t perfect, in terms of accessibility, it works better with NVDA than any other screen reader.

All the best

Steve

Sent: 08 November 2017 10:11

Good morning everyone.

Steve Nutt

Hi,

There are JAWS scripts from http://www.myblindspot.com, but I know nothing of work with NVDA.

All the best

Steve

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Kuzma via Groups.Io
Sent: 08 November 2017 10:20

Good morning,

I have used quickbooks as a sighted person,

But since lost my sight five years ago I have not tried it.

I do know they had an accessibility project a while back to make it accessible.

Not sure it was with jaws or nvda. You may want to give them a call as I remember it not being the latest and greatest version.

Let me know if you find anything out and if I am incorrect or not, and it I come across anything else will let you know.

Thanks

Rich

Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 5:11 AM

Good morning everyone.

Virus-free. www.avast.com