Apology for NVDA and File Explorer advice

David Griffith

Recently I stated that NVDA was sluggish for me with File Explorer on large drives. However I noticed when going through File Explorer settings for something else that somehow the Preview Pane option had been turned on. I don’t know how this happened as I normally always turn it off. Anyway since making this change NVDA has sped up to a perfectly acceptable level on File Explorer so I thought I should make this clarification.

David Griffith

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog

Mary Otten <motten53@...>

 Hi David,
Thank you for making that clarification. Now I am curious whether there are features in that other program that you recommended that you think make it a good adjunct to file explorer, things you can’t do at all with FileExplorer, or can  do more efficiently with that other program.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 8, 2017, at 7:13 AM, David Griffith <daj.griffith@...> wrote:

Recently I stated that NVDA was sluggish for me with File Explorer on large drives. However I noticed when going through File Explorer settings for something else that somehow the Preview Pane option had been turned on. I don’t know how this happened as I normally always turn it off. Anyway since making this change NVDA has sped up to a perfectly acceptable level on File Explorer so I thought I should make this clarification.

David Griffith

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog

David Griffith

There are definitely some things that Exporer ++  can do that ~File Explorer cannot.

For example

You can save a directory listing of files.

You can copy a folder or file path to the clipboard.

You can copy a column of file information to the clipboard.

You can split files.

You can merge files.

You can “destroy” files to delete at least to,some extent securely.

You can set up bookmarks for tabs of windows in file explorer meaning you can navigate to frequently accessed folders easily.

If you set it up in prefernces you can set the program so it treats any zip file as a normal windows folder making it unnecessary  most of the time to unzip files. You just browse them in the way you would any other folder in Windows.

You can do all of these things in Windows Explorer but normally you need third party utilities to do these things.  Explorer ++  does these all natively and of course the main benefit is that it is freeware.

There are probably other things that it can do which others will know about. I thinkg given it is free it is a useful tool to have anyway.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

Yes I've never really understood windows and its preview panes. it was rubbish in Outlook express and its pointless in explorer, but somehow its still in there. I suspect its got some kind of relationship with updates or changes to the view, which in ten is slightly different to 7.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Recently I stated that NVDA was sluggish for me with File Explorer on large drives. However I noticed when going through File Explorer settings for something else that somehow the Preview Pane option had been turned on. I don’t know how this happened as I normally always turn it off. Anyway since making this change NVDA has sped up to a perfectly acceptable level on File Explorer so I thought I should make this clarification.
David Griffith

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog

Brian's Mail list account

I have to say I have found master seeker far better at finding a file and allowing me to copy it than the search in windows explorer.