nvda and skype

Hi.

Well I tried skype latest preview, a lot of it is still not to my liking no contact list and while there is a menu and a few settings and those work well enough everything is behind buttons, no history view and right click menus still do not work.

Luckily it appears for now you can get skype7.

It does appear that new users can't download skype anymore from ms site at least skype7 however even if you have a setup stub the program will download it.

So if you go to oldversion.com and get the latest skype version, you install that one v7 right now 7.16, and then you can update it, it will currently still download skype.

I do think though something needs to be done, skype as it is now can be used the newer one just doesn't work right.

I have made sure that I have coppies of skype latest but I guess we will have to use filehippo to get the latest skype7 as skype 8 is not accessible at all.

It does appear skype7 is no getting anymore updates so at least till that dies well.

hello shaun.
do you mean that skype 7.40 is the last accessible version of skype
for screen reader users?
i cant be without skype, i need it for contacting many people.
what should i do?
God bless you!

[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Well it looks that way, skype 8 is all over the place,.

you can get it via file hippo or from skype but you need to search for it.

Its all based on the chrome system and well its a big unwieldy web app.

On 10/11/2017 9:17 p.m., zahra wrote:
[...]

To be honest, I have accessibility issues on the new Skype 8 on iOS.
I don't know why Microsoft chose to sacrifice accessibility when developing Skype 8.
But as of now I do not know whether Skype 8 is still in the preview stage for Windows; and whether it's even compatible with Windows 7.
If you're on Windows 10 you can use the built-in Skype app; NVDA works with it just fine; in fact I find the Windows 10 Skype app easier to navigate than the Skype desktop app.

how about supporting of skype8 for windows xp?
does skype 8 support xp or not?
i use version 7.37 without major problems now.

On 11/10/17, Supanut Leepaisomboon <supanut2000@outlook.com> wrote:
To be honest, I have accessibility issues on the new Skype 8 on iOS.
I don't know why Microsoft chose to sacrifice accessibility when developing
Skype 8.
But as of now I do not know whether Skype 8 is still in the preview stage
for Windows; and whether it's even compatible with Windows 7.
If you're on Windows 10 you can use the built-in Skype app; NVDA works with
it just fine; in fact I find the Windows 10 Skype app easier to navigate
than the Skype desktop app.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

I think Skype 8 won't support XP; Microsoft ended XP support more than 3 years ago; NVDA 2017.4 will not support XP; even Jaws 16 and newer no longer supports XP.
Given that Windows 7 still has a few more years of extended support, Microsoft might continue to support the new Skype on Windows 7, but I'm not totally sure if that will be the case when the final version is released.
But what I think what needs to be done is that someone in the blindness community who is testing the preview needs to alert Microsoft about accessibility issues and needs to tell Microsoft how important Skype is for blind and visually impaired people who relied on screen readers.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think if you want to keep Skype then you keep the last working version.
Nobody is going to do anything for xp now unfortunately.
I can recall all of this going on for windows 2000 and before that Windows 98 and ME.
Some people say they still have working systems with these operating systems. That is fine and as long as you are very careful about dodgy web sites and emails and your router has a good firewall then why not but over time a creeping paralysis occurs as programs are changed until older versions are not supported, just like happened with dropbox on xp. They kept it going for a year more than they originally said but had to abandon it to be able to make the code that worked well on later windows just as nvda has had to more recently. When the critical mass of people are using a newer system you have to cater for them.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

how about supporting of skype8 for windows xp?
does skype 8 support xp or not?
i use version 7.37 without major problems now.

On 11/10/17, Supanut Leepaisomboon <supanut2000@outlook.com> wrote:
To be honest, I have accessibility issues on the new Skype 8 on iOS.
I don't know why Microsoft chose to sacrifice accessibility when developing
Skype 8.
But as of now I do not know whether Skype 8 is still in the preview stage
for Windows; and whether it's even compatible with Windows 7.
If you're on Windows 10 you can use the built-in Skype app; NVDA works with
it just fine; in fact I find the Windows 10 Skype app easier to navigate
than the Skype desktop app.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

whats the last version of skype which supports xp?
did you read system requirements for skype version 8?
God bless you all.