NVDA speaking even when it’s not loaded when there’s a problem with shut down

Mary Otten <motten53@...>

I have this new machine and it has NVDA on it. But in Vda does not load at start up. We are having some problems with the machine, and my husband thought he had narrowed it down to stuff screwing up when you restart rather than shutting down the machine. Anyway, with NVDA not loaded when the machine is shutting down, occasionally will hang up and e speak will start talking. That is not the synthesizer I have selected. But it does talk. And it is happened on a few occasions. When he took it back to the store to let the tech look at it, it did that once, and now the tech is blaming the whole thing on NVDA. I’m sure that’s not correct, but I don’t know what to tell them.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

I hope nvda doesn't began to die now that the main developer has left
does any one know if they found a replacement developer?

On 11/11/2017 12:55 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
I have this new machine and it has NVDA on it. But in Vda does not load at start up. We are having some problems with the machine, and my husband thought he had narrowed it down to stuff screwing up when you restart rather than shutting down the machine. Anyway, with NVDA not loaded when the machine is shutting down, occasionally will hang up and e speak will start talking. That is not the synthesizer I have selected. But it does talk. And it is happened on a few occasions. When he took it back to the store to let the tech look at it, it did that once, and now the tech is blaming the whole thing on NVDA. I’m sure that’s not correct, but I don’t know what to tell them.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

David Griffith

This sounds unusual behaviour.

NVDA has two modes.

Normally at the login level in my experience only ESpeak is available. If NVDA is speaking with eSpeak when it is not your selected synthetiser it mormally means that you are either at the login screen or in some part of the log out process. NVDA will also speak sometimes with eSpeak whilst Windows updates are being applied.

To start with the  basics, if you go to NVDA settings with NVDA plus N and look under General Preferences doyou have NVDA set to start automatically and also to speak at the Login screen?

Simialrly have you checked your  synthetiser and voice settings also in NVDA settings?

David Griffith

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog
https://www.westhamtillidie.com/authors/blind-hammer/posts

Sent: 11 November 2017 19:55
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA speaking even when it’s not loaded when there’s a problem with shut down

I have this new machine and it has NVDA on it. But in Vda  does not load at start up. We are having some problems with the machine, and my husband thought he had narrowed it down to stuff screwing up when you restart rather than shutting down the machine. Anyway, with NVDA not loaded when the machine is shutting down, occasionally will hang up and e speak will start talking. That is not the synthesizer I have selected. But it does talk. And it is happened on a few occasions. When he took it back to the store to let the tech look at it, it did that once, and now the tech is blaming the whole thing on NVDA. I’m sure that’s not correct, but I don’t know what to tell them.

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Hi David,
I know for sure that NVDA is not set up to speak anywhere, not on the login screen and not after start up. As for that other question about the voice synthesizer, I believe so. But the machine is back at the store for the tech to try to fix this strange problem that the machine is having. So I don’t know. Unfortunately, if he really didn’t believe my husband that this problem started before NVDA was installed and continued after, well I don’t know. He will probably uninstall NVDA and think his work is done. And then the machine will go back to the store for good and I will have to start looking for another one. At another store.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 11, 2017, at 12:49 PM, David Griffith <daj.griffith@...> wrote:

NVDA has two modes.

Normally at the login level in my experience only ESpeak is available. If NVDA is speaking with eSpeak when it is not your selected synthetiser it mormally means that you are either at the login screen or in some part of the log out process. NVDA will also speak sometimes with eSpeak whilst Windows updates are being applied.

To start with the  basics, if you go to NVDA settings with NVDA plus N and look under General Preferences doyou have NVDA set to start automatically and also to speak at the Login screen?

Simialrly have you checked your  synthetiser and voice settings also in NVDA settings?

David Griffith

My Blind hammer Blog

Subject: [nvda] NVDA speaking even when it’s not loaded when there’s a problem with shut down

I have this new machine and it has NVDA on it. But in Vda  does not load at start up. We are having some problems with the machine, and my husband thought he had narrowed it down to stuff screwing up when you restart rather than shutting down the machine. Anyway, with NVDA not loaded when the machine is shutting down, occasionally will hang up and e speak will start talking. That is not the synthesizer I have selected. But it does talk. And it is happened on a few occasions. When he took it back to the store to let the tech look at it, it did that once, and now the tech is blaming the whole thing on NVDA. I’m sure that’s not correct, but I don’t know what to tell them.

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Well the uac can be.

To be honest when I get a system like this I just do a reformat and load things myself and test, test, test.

Usually when I load my configs it doesn't do that.

If it does its bios, drivers or both.

The issue is when I have to deal with user software which gets in the way.

I can do it that way but it takes longer, and costs the client and myself more time.

I'd prefur to just reformat and reinstall windows and then I have an easier time.

Ofcause after that loading each bit of software at a time will eventually yeald the error.

9 times out of 10 at that stage its new or updated software.

And if it gets to that state I use google.

Sometimes a user needs a function and then just cracks software that needs it or installs malware full software to get it working.

At that point I just ask them for the function and then I can google that.

There is enough free opensource or low cost software that I either find the entire package or the modules I need and if I am lucky a wrapper front end to put them together.

The issue is then to convince the user to use said software.

I would to be honest ask the tech what stuff is on there.

ANd just get it reformatted and ask to get its hardware tested the unit cleaned, sure its going to cost a bit but you have already got it in the shop and are generating costs so get it done.

I have just had a system revived that stopped working the entire os crashed, the system died.

Regreasing the syncs, clearing the dust and replacing the power supply and all small fans and its up.

On 12/11/2017 8:55 a.m., Mary Otten wrote:
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Well, this is a new machine. I have 15 days to send it back no problem. So if they don’t get it up and running and let me have it home by the time I 15 days are done, I will except it. I already told them in the store to take off all the crap where including the virus trials etc. and make it look like nice pure clean windows. They said they would do it. And it look like they had, but there is this funky little problem. So we shall see. But so far, I’m not generating any cost, because I still have a week before it’s mine so to speak. Should be back on Tuesday. If problems arise again by next weekend, it’s gone for good.

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 11, 2017, at 1:21 PM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:

Well the uac can be.

To be honest when I get a system like this I just do a reformat and load things myself and test, test, test.

I can do it that way but it takes longer, and costs the client and myself more time.

I'd prefur to just reformat and reinstall windows and then I have an easier time.

Ofcause after that loading each bit of software at a time will eventually yeald the error.

Sometimes a user needs a function and then just cracks software that needs it or installs malware full software to get it working.

There is enough free opensource or low cost software that I either find the entire package or the modules I need and if I am lucky a wrapper front end to put them together.

ANd just get it reformatted and ask to get its hardware tested the unit cleaned, sure its going to cost a bit but you have already got it in the shop and are generating costs so get it done.

I have just had a system revived that stopped working the entire os crashed, the system died.

Regreasing the syncs, clearing the dust and replacing the power supply and all small fans and its up.

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Speaking of uac, it used to be possible to disable that. I don’t know if that’s still true with windows 10. It saves a lot of hassle. I suppose there are security implications of coarse.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Well the uac can be.

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Chris Mullins

Hi
When the Windows log-in and lock screen come into play, a Different NVDA profile is used to the one related to your user-id and it may be this that is providing speech during the shut-down process. Unless you specifically copy a modified profile across for system usage, it will use the default synth which is E-speak.

Cheers
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mary Otten
Sent: 11 November 2017 19:56

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

OK, but why would it talk if it’s not loaded? If it’s never been started up, shouldn’t it stay silent?
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 11, 2017, at 2:12 PM, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:

Hi
When the Windows log-in and lock screen come into play, a Different NVDA profile is used to the one related to your user-id and it may be this that is providing speech during the shut-down process. Unless you specifically copy a modified profile across for system usage, it will use the default synth which is E-speak.

Cheers
Chris

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

start iac

rather start minue

type in uiac and set slider to 0

On 11/11/2017 2:35 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
Speaking of uac, it used to be possible to disable that. I don’t know if that’s still true with windows 10. It saves a lot of hassle. I suppose there are security implications of coarse.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Well the uac can be.

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Chris Mullins

There are 2 settings related to NVDA, when a log-on/secure screen is displayed and after a user logs into Windows. If any NVDA user has a profile in which the setting for log-on/secure screens is selected, those screens will be spoken irrespective of whether a particular user has NVDA loaded when working in their own Windows user account or not. For example if both you and your husband have a user account on the computer, you are an an NVDA user but your husband is not. If your husband logs into his account, NVDA is not loaded but if he logs out, Windows will load NVDA so the log in screen will be spoken to enable you to log-in if you so wish.

Cheers
Chris

Sent: 11 November 2017 22:15
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA speaking even when it’s not loaded when there’s a problem with shut down

OK, but why would it talk if it’s not loaded? If it’s never been started up, shouldn’t it stay silent?
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Hi

Cheers
Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Mary Otten
Subject: [nvda] NVDA speaking even when it’s not loaded when there’s a
problem with shut down

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Gene

Most of the time, UAC doesn't cause problems.  All you have to do if you hear a UAC message is issue the command alt y because you are in a dialog and you are saying yes to the question being asked.  Why, in today's security environment, would you turn off UAC when responding is so simple?

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2017 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA speaking even when it’s not loaded when there’s a problem with shut down

start iac

rather start minue

> Speaking of uac, it used to be possible to disable that. I don’t know if that’s still true with windows 10. It saves a lot of hassle. I suppose there are security implications of coarse.
> Mary
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Nov 11, 2017, at 1:21 PM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
>>
>> Well the uac can be.
>>
>> To be honest when I get a system like this I just do a reformat and load things myself and test, test, test.
>>
>> Usually when I load my configs it doesn't do that.
>>
>> If it does its bios, drivers or both.
>>
>> The issue is when I have to deal with user software which gets in the way.
>>
>> I can do it that way but it takes longer, and costs the client and myself more time.
>>
>> I'd prefur to just reformat and reinstall windows and then I have an easier time.
>>
>> Ofcause after that loading each bit of software at a time will eventually yeald the error.
>>
>> 9 times out of 10 at that stage its new or updated software.
>>
>> And if it gets to that state I use google.
>>
>> Sometimes a user needs a function and then just cracks software that needs it or installs malware full software to get it working.
>>
>> At that point I just ask them for the function and then I can google that.
>>
>> There is enough free opensource or low cost software that I either find the entire package or the modules I need and if I am lucky a wrapper front end to put them together.
>>
>> The issue is then to convince the user to use said software.
>>
>> I would to be honest ask the tech what stuff is on there.
>>
>> ANd just get it reformatted and ask to get its hardware tested the unit cleaned, sure its going to cost a bit but you have already got it in the shop and are generating costs so get it done.
>>
>> I have just had a system revived that stopped working the entire os crashed, the system died.
>>
>> Regreasing the syncs, clearing the dust and replacing the power supply and all small fans and its up.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>> On 12/11/2017 8:55 a.m., Mary Otten wrote:
>>> I have this new machine and it has NVDA on it. But in Vda  does not load at start up. We are having some problems with the machine, and my husband thought he had narrowed it down to stuff screwing up when you restart rather than shutting down the machine. Anyway, with NVDA not loaded when the machine is shutting down, occasionally will hang up and e speak will start talking. That is not the synthesizer I have selected. But it does talk. And it is happened on a few occasions. When he took it back to the store to let the tech look at it, it did that once, and now the tech is blaming the whole thing on NVDA. I’m sure that’s not correct, but I don’t know what to tell them.
>>> Mary
>>>
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>> .
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

OK. But he doesn’t have an account on the machine. So far as I know, I am the only one, administrator. And I do not have NVDA set to load either at logon or at start up or I should say after start up. I have a couple of screen readers on the machine. And I don’t want any of them loading until I say which one, or maybe I just want to load kurzweil. So nothing like that is loading and I am the only account.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 11, 2017, at 2:57 PM, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:

There are 2 settings related to NVDA, when a log-on/secure screen is displayed and after a user logs into Windows. If any NVDA user has a profile in which the setting for log-on/secure screens is selected, those screens will be spoken irrespective of whether a particular user has NVDA loaded when working in their own Windows user account or not. For example if both you and your husband have a user account on the computer, you are an an NVDA user but your husband is not. If your husband logs into his account, NVDA is not loaded but if he logs out, Windows will load NVDA so the log in screen will be spoken to enable you to log-in if you so wish.

Cheers
Chris

Sent: 11 November 2017 22:15

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Hi

Cheers
Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Mary Otten
Subject: [nvda] NVDA speaking even when it’s not loaded when there’s a
problem with shut down

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Gene

If you don't have something load at login and after login, you may miss error messages.  You should have something start and if you don't want to use it, you can unload it and run something else.  But having a machine be silent at the login screen and silent after you log in is a bad idea.  Also, I'm not sure what is occurring but it may have been a mistake to take the computer to the store rather than discuss the problem here first.  E-Speak comes with NVDA but it just doesn't speak.  It speaks at times when NVDA is running.  Something is occurring and we don't know what yet.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2017 5:09 PM

OK. But he doesn’t have an account on the machine. So far as I know, I am the only one, administrator. And I do not have NVDA set to load either at logon or at start up or I should say after start up. I have a couple of screen readers on the machine. And I don’t want any of them loading until I say which one, or maybe I just want to load kurzweil. So nothing like that is loading and I am the only account.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 11, 2017, at 2:57 PM, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:
>
> There are 2 settings related to NVDA, when a log-on/secure screen is displayed and after a user logs into Windows.  If any NVDA user has a profile in which the setting for log-on/secure screens is selected, those screens will be spoken irrespective of whether a particular user has NVDA loaded when working in their own Windows user account or not.  For example if both you and your husband have a user account on the computer, you are an an NVDA user but your husband is not.  If your husband logs into his account, NVDA is not loaded but if he logs out, Windows will load NVDA so the log in screen will be spoken to enable you to log-in if you so wish.
>
> Cheers
> Chris
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mary Otten
> Sent: 11 November 2017 22:15
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA speaking even when it’s not loaded when there’s a problem with shut down
>
> OK, but why would it talk if it’s not loaded? If it’s never been started up, shouldn’t it stay silent?
> Mary
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Nov 11, 2017, at 2:12 PM, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> When the Windows log-in and lock screen come into play, a Different NVDA profile is used to the one related to your user-id and it may be this that is providing speech during the shut-down process.  Unless you specifically copy a modified profile across for system usage, it will use the default synth which is E-speak.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Chris
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
>> Mary Otten
>> Sent: 11 November 2017 19:56
>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>> Subject: [nvda] NVDA speaking even when it’s not loaded when there’s a
>> problem with shut down
>>
>> I have this new machine and it has NVDA on it. But in Vda  does not load at start up. We are having some problems with the machine, and my husband thought he had narrowed it down to stuff screwing up when you restart rather than shutting down the machine. Anyway, with NVDA not loaded when the machine is shutting down, occasionally will hang up and e speak will start talking. That is not the synthesizer I have selected. But it does talk. And it is happened on a few occasions. When he took it back to the store to let the tech look at it, it did that once, and now the tech is blaming the whole thing on NVDA. I’m sure that’s not correct, but I don’t know what to tell them.
>> Mary
>>
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>

I have mine turned on I was just answring the persons question

On 11/11/2017 4:01 PM, Gene wrote:
Most of the time, UAC doesn't cause problems.  All you have to do if you hear a UAC message is issue the command alt y because you are in a dialog and you are saying yes to the question being asked.  Why, in today's security environment, would you turn off UAC when responding is so simple?

Gene

start iac

rather start minue

> Speaking of uac, it used to be possible to disable that. I don’t know if that’s still true with windows 10. It saves a lot of hassle. I suppose there are security implications of coarse.
> Mary
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>>
>> Well the uac can be.
>>
>> To be honest when I get a system like this I just do a reformat and load things myself and test, test, test.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> I can do it that way but it takes longer, and costs the client and myself more time.
>>
>> I'd prefur to just reformat and reinstall windows and then I have an easier time.
>>
>> Ofcause after that loading each bit of software at a time will eventually yeald the error.
>>
>>
>>
>> Sometimes a user needs a function and then just cracks software that needs it or installs malware full software to get it working.
>>
>>
>> There is enough free opensource or low cost software that I either find the entire package or the modules I need and if I am lucky a wrapper front end to put them together.
>>
>>
>>
>> ANd just get it reformatted and ask to get its hardware tested the unit cleaned, sure its going to cost a bit but you have already got it in the shop and are generating costs so get it done.
>>
>> I have just had a system revived that stopped working the entire os crashed, the system died.
>>
>> Regreasing the syncs, clearing the dust and replacing the power supply and all small fans and its up.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>> I have this new machine and it has NVDA on it. But in Vda  does not load at start up. We are having some problems with the machine, and my husband thought he had narrowed it down to stuff screwing up when you restart rather than shutting down the machine. Anyway, with NVDA not loaded when the machine is shutting down, occasionally will hang up and e speak will start talking. That is not the synthesizer I have selected. But it does talk. And it is happened on a few occasions. When he took it back to the store to let the tech look at it, it did that once, and now the tech is blaming the whole thing on NVDA. I’m sure that’s not correct, but I don’t know what to tell them.
>>> Mary
>>>
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>> .
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

Gene

I meant to respond to the person's original message.  I didn't indicate that clearly.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2017 10:24 PM

I have mine turned on I was just answring the persons question
On 11/11/2017 4:01 PM, Gene wrote:

Gene

start iac

rather start minue

> Mary
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>>
>> Well the uac can be.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>> Mary
>>>
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>> .
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

Brian's Mail list account

At some point somebody ticked the box for let nvda operate on the log in screen.
Thus this will still probably be there. As nobody copied the current settings to the system area then it will still use the default voice, ie Espeak. You should be able to stop this with a complete uninstall of nvda and set up Narrator to start instead to prove your point its not nvda. I often find that if techs get out of their depths they blame it on access software.
More likely its some oddball driver or preload of a bit of software elsewhere. That is what safe mode is for, he should use the tools provided and let it step through loading things and see when it goes wrong.
However if its a new machine, might be a good idea to check hardware too. I've seen duff ram cause weird things at start up and shutdown even if all seems fine the rest of the time.
If its a new machine from a cheap box shifting store, then it will be packed with demo and crapware time limited demos, so the first job is uninstall the lot of them and get back to a basic machine with only things you want on it.
A friend of mine traced lock ups to a free trial of some anti virus software that was failing to allow some files to be modified at shutdown.

Weird. Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2017 7:55 PM

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Well, might be a blessing that, see my previous reply to this.

Could be a rogue machine, they do exist.

However you probably did tick the start on log in screen when you installed it.
Most people do, but if you want your current settings and synth to be used you need to use that button on the general settings page to copy the settings over.
I cannot think of any scenario where nvda can cause the effect. its far more likely to be some kind of anti virus problem or hardware or a software problem with drivers.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2017 8:55 PM

Hi David,
I know for sure that NVDA is not set up to speak anywhere, not on the login screen and not after start up. As for that other question about the voice synthesizer, I believe so. But the machine is back at the store for the tech to try to fix this strange problem that the machine is having. So I don’t know. Unfortunately, if he really didn’t believe my husband that this problem started before NVDA was installed and continued after, well I don’t know. He will probably uninstall NVDA and think his work is done. And then the machine will go back to the store for good and I will have to start looking for another one. At another store.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 11, 2017, at 12:49 PM, David Griffith <daj.griffith@...> wrote:

NVDA has two modes.
To start with the basics, if you go to NVDA settings with NVDA plus N and look under General Preferences doyou have NVDA set to start automatically and also to speak at the Login screen?
Simialrly have you checked your synthetiser and voice settings also in NVDA settings?

David Griffith
My Blind hammer Blog

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Unfortunately increasingly these days they keep a hidden partition and restore from there but this leaves all the crap that many shops ship with the machine as a sponsorship deal to keep the selling price down. In the end the money you pay attach to take it all off is better spent with a local shop you know and trust who can just put on what you ask for not the entire contents of the software store as demos.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2017 9:21 PM

Well the uac can be.

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Hmm, sounds like they got the old issue of the uninstalls removing something it should not have. this was how a friend ended up having to re register every dll to get the internet browsing back up since some piece of software mucked up the registry.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2017 9:33 PM

Well, this is a new machine. I have 15 days to send it back no problem. So if they don’t get it up and running and let me have it home by the time I 15 days are done, I will except it. I already told them in the store to take off all the crap where including the virus trials etc. and make it look like nice pure clean windows. They said they would do it. And it look like they had, but there is this funky little problem. So we shall see. But so far, I’m not generating any cost, because I still have a week before it’s mine so to speak. Should be back on Tuesday. If problems arise again by next weekend, it’s gone for good.

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Well the uac can be.

Mary

Sent from my iPhone