create portable copy

Gene

But if you type a path, create a folder first, just for the portable version.  In general, programs put themselves in a folder they create at the end of a path you specify, though you can't assume that.  NVDA doesn't, and the files are placed in the last folder of the path you specify.  So, if the path is c:\misc, that's m I s c,  and you stop there, the files and folders created will be all over the misc folder.  In this case, misc, m I s c,  is the name for my miscellaneous folder.  If you create a folder first in that folder, such as NVDA, and write the path as follows,
c:\misc\nvda
the folders and files will be placed in the NVDA folder.

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 7:53 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] creat portable copy

Hi Vanessa,

1. Press NVDA+n to open the NVDA menu
2. Press T for the tools menu
3. Choose the "Create portable copy" item.

Alternatively, if NVDA isn't running, you can run the setup file that you download from the website and press the "Create portable copy" button from the setup screen.

Either way, it will ask for a path, that's when you put in whatever path you want, such as G:\NVDA as you noted

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 12:40 PM, Vanessa Ochoa via Groups.Io <barroyo22@...> wrote:
hi list something terrible happened to my desktop and somebody lend me her laptop for as long as i need it it was almost three weeks without a computer and so i had to get cut up with mor than thirty thousand emails i received a feature that i really
 wantedwitch was to create a portable copy using the run command i ried many different ways of doing it but i do not understand it can somebody using the path g:\nvda or any other path you want show me how exactly to enter it tin to the run command it says path must be specified but i do not get how love this feature but have not been able to use it to my advantage
Vanessa!

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Vanessa Ochoa

ok i do not have a problem with path i know how to do that. what i want is a real example of how to put in the run dialog for example to estart nvda you do nvda -r hope you can understand more what i mean where do you exatly put the path please give me an example like nvda restart with dashes and spaces and anything required the way you the the string
 and the place of the path is what i am totattly missing please help
Vanessa!

Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...>

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking, Vanessa.

Your e-mail is a bit mangled, and with all due respect, even with a braille display, it was very difficult for me to decipher.

If I'm understanding you correctly however, you are wanting a real-life example of what, and where you would type the string to get NVDA running from a portable copy. Is that right?

I believe this really depends on where specifically you store the portable copy you've created.

For example, if you have a USB flash drive, which on your PC is the D, as in delta, drive, then on that drive, you have created a directory called "NVDA" which will hold the portable installation, then you would go to the Windows Run dialog, with Windows key+R.

You'll land in a text field. This is where you then type the path to the executable for the NVDA's portable installation which you have created.

In the above scenareo whereby your D drive is your flash drive, and you, on the flash drive made a directory to host the installation called NVDA, you would then write the following into this text field, which is located within the run dialog which you opened by pressing Windows key+R.

D:\NVDA\NVDA.EXE

Then, press enter.

If all goes well, your portable copy, provided that you are using the same file hierarchy as described above, should launch and start working.

If this isn't what you're after, then please try restating your question, trying not to jumble the words together so extreme. - Not your fault necessarily, but it really does make it a bit difficult to read. Smile. We're definitely here to help though where we can.

Chris.

Gene

I'm not sure what you are asking.  Let's say you have a folder on the g drive named programs and you have made a folder in the programs folder named NVDA.
Written out so that your screen-reader will read it no matter how punctuation is set the path is:
g colon backslash programs backslash nvda. 
Written exactly as you would write it and you can see the exact path if you move character by character through it, it is written as follows:
g:\programs\nvda

Gene

Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 10:49 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] create portable copy

ok i do not have a problem with path i know how to do that. what i want is a real example of how to put in the run dialog for example to estart nvda you do nvda -r hope you can understand more what i mean where do you exatly put the path please give me an example like nvda restart with dashes and spaces and anything required the way you the the string
Vanessa!

Gene

I'm not sure what you mean by the place of the path.  if you run the NVDA installer and create a portable version, as I recall, there is an edit field where you can type the path. 

I'm not sure what you want to know about the run dialog.  Do you mean, what do you type in the run dialog when you want to run the portable version?

Gene
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 10:49 PM

Vanessa!

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

hi Vanessa!

out of curiosity have you already put nvda onto a usb stick? was a folder called nvda on the usb stick and all of the files put into that?

so now is the question more like how do you start nvda on a new computer?

You can use say narrator to start it up from the usb stick.

What can happen also from a usb stick is the drive letter changes to start it.

i do have examples of different ways of starting nvda from a usb stick as well as a CD if the auto play menu is enabled.

the older way is pressing the windows key + the letter r

In the edit box in most cases the C: drive is the hard drive, some computers have a partitioned drive which is the letter D and the DVD burner could be the E: drive. But this could change from computer to computer. So if this was the case it might be the f: drive when the usb stick was inserted. so in the run dialogue box you would type f::\nvda\nvda.exe then press the enter key. You would repeat this until it started.

I like the JJJ one for starting nvda on a computer etc.

Any how there is examples on my nvda audio tutorials page which will point you in the right direction. Just look for the tutorials that refer to starting nvda with a usb stick.

The link to this page is http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20audio%20tutorials.html

I hope it helps to get you up and running on the new pc. Also from the portable version you can install the installer version from that as well there is also directions on doing that.

the operating system maybe back then was either Windows xp, 7, 8 or 10 but the process is the same idea.

Gene nz

On 11/14/2017 5:49 PM, Vanessa Ochoa via Groups.Io wrote:
Vanessa!

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Quentin Christensen

Ok I know what Vanessa is asking.  In recent snapshot builds we have added the ability to create a portable copy from the command line.  The syntax of this would be:

nvda.exe --create-portable --portable-path g:\nvda

It is possible to run this from the snapshot build setup file, for instance:

"nvda_snapshot_next-14601,e62a168e.exe" --create-portable --portable-path g:\nvda

(note the quotes because long file name)

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 5:13 PM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

hi Vanessa!

out of curiosity have you already put nvda onto a usb stick? was a folder called nvda on the usb stick and all of the files put into that?

so now is the question more like how do you start nvda on a new computer?

You can use say narrator to start it up from the usb stick.

What can happen also from a usb stick is the drive letter changes to start it.

i do have examples of different ways of starting nvda from a usb stick as well as a CD if the auto play menu is enabled.

the older way is pressing the windows key + the letter r

In the edit box in most cases the C: drive is the hard drive, some computers have a partitioned drive which is the letter D and the DVD burner could be the E: drive. But this could change from computer to computer. So if this was the case it might be the f: drive when the usb stick was inserted. so in the run dialogue box you would type f::\nvda\nvda.exe then press the enter key. You would repeat this until it started.

I like the JJJ one for starting nvda on a computer etc.

Any how there is examples on my nvda audio tutorials page which will point you in the right direction. Just look for the tutorials that refer to starting nvda with a usb stick.

The link to this page is http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20audio%20tutorials.html

I hope it helps to get you up and running on the new pc. Also from the portable version you can install the installer version from that as well there is also directions on doing that.

the operating system maybe back then was either Windows xp, 7, 8 or 10 but the process is the same idea.

Gene nz

On 11/14/2017 5:49 PM, Vanessa Ochoa via Groups.Io wrote:
Vanessa!

--
Image NVDA
        certified expert
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

--
Quentin Christensen

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Kwork

Yes, and this is very important. Some programs, Calibre for instance, in their portable versions, and I think Firefox too, will create a folder on their own. NVDA does not. If you don't create a folder ahead of time for it where you want it to go, you could splatter the NVDA files all over the root of your hard drive, program files, or whatever folder you choose without creating an NVDA subdirectory. I learned that the hard way.
Travis

Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 7:45 PM

But if you type a path, create a folder first, just for the portable version.  In general, programs put themselves in a folder they create at the end of a path you specify, though you can't assume that.  NVDA doesn't, and the files are placed in the last folder of the path you specify.  So, if the path is c:\misc, that's m I s c,  and you stop there, the files and folders created will be all over the misc folder.  In this case, misc, m I s c,  is the name for my miscellaneous folder.  If you create a folder first in that folder, such as NVDA, and write the path as follows,

Gene 

Hi Vanessa,

Alternatively, if NVDA isn't running, you can run the setup file that you download from the website and press the "Create portable copy" button from the setup screen.

Either way, it will ask for a path, that's when you put in whatever path you want, such as G:\NVDA as you noted

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 12:40 PM, Vanessa Ochoa via Groups.Io <barroyo22@...> wrote:
hi list something terrible happened to my desktop and somebody lend me her laptop for as long as i need it it was almost three weeks without a computer and so i had to get cut up with mor than thirty thousand emails i received a feature that i really
 wantedwitch was to create a portable copy using the run command i ried many different ways of doing it but i do not understand it can somebody using the path g:\nvda or any other path you want show me how exactly to enter it tin to the run command it says path must be specified but i do not get how love this feature but have not been able to use it to my advantage
Vanessa!

--
Quentin Christensen

Vanessa Ochoa

hi Quentin I followed
 the sintax you shoed me but is not doing it I am sorry I should of made clear that it was one of the new thing in the snapshots wonder what am I doing wrong
Vanessa!

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 5:52 AM, Kwork <istherelife@...> wrote:

Yes, and this is very important. Some programs, Calibre for instance, in their portable versions, and I think Firefox too, will create a folder on their own. NVDA does not. If you don't create a folder ahead of time for it where you want it to go, you could splatter the NVDA files all over the root of your hard drive, program files, or whatever folder you choose without creating an NVDA subdirectory. I learned that the hard way.
Travis
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 7:45 PM

Gene 

Hi Vanessa,

Regards

Quentin.

Vanessa!

--
Quentin Christensen

Vanessa Ochoa

lets try this again in a different way. okay this is what I am talking about I got it from the What's New in NVDA. and if it helps I am using the latest master snapshot • Added new command line parameters to create a portable copy of NVDA. (#6329)

Vanessa!

Vanessa Ochoa

Vanessa!

Gene

As I understand it, you can make a portable copy and place it anywhere, then you can take the portable copy and place it anywhere else, on a thumb drive, an external drive, on a new computer, and it will work.  That's how portable programs are supposed to work.  If it makes it easier, make the portable copy anywhere you want, then copy or cut and paste the folder containing the portable program wherever you like.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 4:41 PM

Vanessa!

Quentin Christensen

Hi Vanessa,

Are you getting an error message when you try to create the portable copy?

Firstly, you will need to either be in the directory where the NVDA executable (nvda.exe or the setup file) is located or else type the path to it.  After that, the three arguments are the one telling it to create a portable version, the one telling it you are giving it a path to install to, and then the path itself:

Make sure you have the hyphens etc correct too.  I just realised with punctuation set to some you won't get the hyphens just reading that, so it is:

nvda.exe hyphen hyphen create hyphen portable hyphen hyphen portable hyphen path g colon backslash nvda

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 9:48 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
As I understand it, you can make a portable copy and place it anywhere, then you can take the portable copy and place it anywhere else, on a thumb drive, an external drive, on a new computer, and it will work.  That's how portable programs are supposed to work.  If it makes it easier, make the portable copy anywhere you want, then copy or cut and paste the folder containing the portable program wherever you like.

Gene

Vanessa!

--
Quentin Christensen

Vanessa Ochoa

hi Quentin
 is not telling me anything it does not even give me an error message and I am doing everything correct and the folder is blank other times in the past when I would enter arguments in the command line if they were wrong it would give an error message but this is not the case I just tried it in another computer and still have no results I created a blank folder only for this perpose and still no good results
Vanessa!

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 4:06 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

Hi Vanessa,

Firstly, you will need to either be in the directory where the NVDA executable (nvda.exe or the setup file) is located or else type the path to it.  After that, the three arguments are the one telling it to create a portable version, the one telling it you are giving it a path to install to, and then the path itself:

Make sure you have the hyphens etc correct too.  I just realised with punctuation set to some you won't get the hyphens just reading that, so it is:

nvda.exe hyphen hyphen create hyphen portable hyphen hyphen portable hyphen path g colon backslash nvda

Kind regards

Quentin.

Gene

Vanessa!

--
Quentin Christensen

Aaao! Ehh, Kayyy. So, what you're wanting to know, is what those new parameters are, and examples of how they're used.

OK, I fully understand now what you're asking. Hopefully someone will know, as I, too, am very curious.
---
Christopher Gilland
Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries

Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 5:40 PM

lets try this again in a different way. okay this is what I am talking about I got it from the What's New in NVDA. and if it helps I am using the latest master snapshot • Added new command line parameters to create a portable copy of NVDA. (#6329)

Vanessa!

Vanessa, what arguments are you trying to pass through, exactly? What's the exact command with the extra option parameters that you're trying to run?
---
Christopher Gilland
Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries

Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 8:17 PM

hi Quentin
 is not telling me anything it does not even give me an error message and I am doing everything correct and the folder is blank other times in the past when I would enter arguments in the command line if they were wrong it would give an error message but this is not the case I just tried it in another computer and still have no results I created a blank folder only for this perpose and still no good results
Vanessa!

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 4:06 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

Hi Vanessa,

Kind regards

Quentin.

Gene

Vanessa!

--
Quentin Christensen

Vanessa Ochoa

hi Christopher there are a few examples of a few things you can do with the command line let me give an example for example if you enter nvda -r it will restart nvda if you enter nvda -rm it will restart nvda minimal witch means no sound no welcome message and others in the recent snapshots they added the command that you finally understood. if you need help with anything you can contact me off list if you wish this command is the only thing i am having trouble with
Vanessa!

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think we were wondering why you wanted to do it this way though. I thought the issue was a temporary computer that they did not want nvda to be installed onto. Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

From: "Vanessa Ochoa via Groups.Io" <barroyo22=yahoo.com@groups.io>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:40 PM

Vanessa!