Can I shorten pauses following punctuation?

Ann Byrne

NVDA's response is crisp and accurate when I move from line to line or application to application. However, when I read a document the pause before the next word is longer than I would like. Is there a place in the settings to shorten the pause?

Thanks,

Ann

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Hey.
I asked about something like this a week or two ago when I first joined the
list. Are you using the Microsoft voices? If so, they insert long pauses
after periods and commas -- the former, especially. There is no
configuration setting to change this and it isn't a nVDA issue. You will
have to modify the .ini file for the voice you use. I don't know if this is
exactly your problem. The person who wrote this blog is on this list, and he
pointed me here:
https://tspivey.wordpress.com/2017/09/10/speeding-up-the-microsoft-onecore-v
oices-in-windows-10/

The .ini file I had to modify is not exactly the same one as shown here.
However you should be able to find it, wherever it is on your system.

NVDA's response is crisp and accurate when I move from line to line
or application to application. However, when I read a document the pause
before the next word is longer than I would like. Is there a place in the
settings to shorten the pause?

Thanks,

Ann

Ann Byrne

Point well taken. thanks.

Ann
rote:

[...]

Steve Nutt

Hi,

What synth are you using?

All the best

Steve

NVDA's response is crisp and accurate when I move from line to line
or application to application. However, when I read a document the pause
before the next word is longer than I would like. Is there a place in the
settings to shorten the pause?

Thanks,

Ann

Ann Byrne

I switched from the 1 core voices as suggested by another lister. Went to SAPI 5, and the pauses are cured. The voices sound the same, although maybe there aren't as many.

So it's solved, or at least fixed.

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Interesting. I have the same issue with both MS Core and SAPI5 voices. I
believe there are separate .ini files for each. So maybe yours was modified
to get rid of the silence already?