windows 10 start menu

slery <slerythema@...>

My computer just updated today and restarted on its own (I was in another room and heard it reboot and applying updates).

Now, I cannot use the start menu. It says Cortana search but doesn't respond to anything I type in it.

Please help.

Cindy

Hi cindy,

Try pressing the windows key a second time or just press tab till you get to search

This message is transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

On 16 Nov 2017, at 11.43, slery <slerythema@...> wrote:

Boxbe This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (slerythema@...) Add cleanup rule | More info
My computer just updated today and restarted on its own (I was in another room and heard it reboot and applying updates).

Now, I cannot use the start menu. It says Cortana search but doesn't respond to anything I type in it.

Please help.

Cindy

slery <slerythema@...>

There is no menu. All it says is Cortana search. No recent apps, no apps of any kind, no tiles, no power options.

Cindy

On November 16, 2017 9:09:37 AM "Dr. arvind singh brar" <arvindsinghbrar@...> wrote:

Hi cindy,

Try pressing the windows key a second time or just press tab till you get to search

Boxbe This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (slerythema@...) Add cleanup rule | More info

Please help.

Cindy

Chris Mullins

What do you have set in Windows Settings, Personalisation, Start section?

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of slery
Sent: 16 November 2017 15:20
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] windows 10 start menu

There is no menu. All it says is Cortana search. No recent apps, no apps of any kind, no tiles, no power options.

Cindy

On November 16, 2017 9:09:37 AM "Dr. arvind singh brar" <arvindsinghbrar@...> wrote:

Hi cindy,

This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (slerythema@...) Add cleanup rule | More info

Please help.

Cindy

slery <slerythema@...>

I had a menu before the update.
I restarted and still no joy.
Cindy

On November 16, 2017 11:06:30 AM "Chris Mullins" <cjmullins29@...> wrote:

Cheers

Chris

Cindy

Hi cindy,

This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (slerythema@...) Add cleanup rule | More info

Please help.

Cindy

Gene

Since this happened immediately after an update, it is unlikely to have anything to do with start menu settings.  I doubt that Windows 10 updates would make the start menu search unavailable unless an update was improperly installed. 

Try running narrator and see if you can see the search field.  If you can, try creating a portable version of NvDA and see if it sees the search field.  If that doesn't help, the next thing to do might be to remove the latest updates and let them reinstall in case something was updated incorrectly the first time.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2017 10:06 AM

Cheers

Chris

Cindy

Hi cindy,

Please help.

Cindy

Chris Mullins

Apparently an issue since 1709 initially released.  Article below suggests some fixes:

https://www.downloadsource.net/how-to-fix-start-menu-after-updating-to-windows-10-fall-creators-1709/n/10598/

Cheers

Chris

Sent: 16 November 2017 16:38

Cindy

Cheers

Chris

Cindy

Hi cindy,

Please help.

Cindy

slery <slerythema@...>

Yes, this is my problem. Ironically, it says I am still on 2703.
Will give this a try now that I know it is not a NVDA issue.
Cindy

On November 16, 2017 3:39:55 PM "Chris Mullins" <cjmullins29@...> wrote:

Apparently an issue since 1709 initially released.  Article below suggests some fixes:

https://www.downloadsource.net/how-to-fix-start-menu-after-updating-to-windows-10-fall-creators-1709/n/10598/

Cheers

Chris

Sent: 16 November 2017 16:38

Cindy

Cheers

Chris

Cindy

Hi cindy,

Please help.

Cindy