Office: why is it so slow with NVDA?

Simone Dal Maso

Hello,
when I use Office with NVDA, both Excel and Word, in many distributions of office I should admit that NVDA is really slow in response.
Cursor key lags and sometimes I must wait 2 3 seconds to read the following lines.
Working in this situation is really frustrating, but I'd like to know if you have noticed this problem.
On the italian community it is the greatest problem, but I'm not able to isolate the condition that makes NVDA so laggy.

Do you have some experiences or ideas about it?
Thank you.

hello.
i dont have microsoft office, but heard others told me that office is
slow when using nvda and i heard that jaws does not have this problem.
but if you want to just read the file, (dont need edit them) i
recommend using sayAll rather than reading line by line.
hope that help, God bless you!

On 11/16/17, Simone Dal Maso <simone.dalmaso@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,
when I use Office with NVDA, both Excel and Word, in many distributions
of office I should admit that NVDA is really slow in response.
Cursor key lags and sometimes I must wait 2 3 seconds to read the
following lines.
Working in this situation is really frustrating, but I'd like to know if
you have noticed this problem.
On the italian community it is the greatest problem, but I'm not able to
isolate the condition that makes NVDA so laggy.

Do you have some experiences or ideas about it?
Thank you.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Devin Prater

I have that problem too, and it’s one of the reasons why I use a Mac, as Narrator is just as slow, and I don’t have the money, and shouldn’t need the money, for JAWS. Therefore, I will not take this certification for using NVDA with Word until this issue is dealt with.
Devin Prater
Assistive Technology Instructor in Training
JAWS, Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and Powerpoint certified by World Services for the Blind

On 11/16/17, Simone Dal Maso <simone.dalmaso@...> wrote:
Hello,
when I use Office with NVDA, both Excel and Word, in many distributions
of office I should admit that NVDA is really slow in response.
Cursor key lags and sometimes I must wait 2 3 seconds to read the
following lines.
Working in this situation is really frustrating, but I'd like to know if
you have noticed this problem.
On the italian community it is the greatest problem, but I'm not able to
isolate the condition that makes NVDA so laggy.

Do you have some experiences or ideas about it?
Thank you.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Interestingly I have a friend who says Jaws is often slow on parts of office for them but its more jerky than slow, ie it will suddenly catch up. I have a feeling its got something to do with windows 10 as they told me this never happened in windows 7.
Weird.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

On 11/16/17, Simone Dal Maso <simone.dalmaso@gmail.com <mailto:simone.dalmaso@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hello,
when I use Office with NVDA, both Excel and Word, in many distributions
of office I should admit that NVDA is really slow in response.
Cursor key lags and sometimes I must wait 2 3 seconds to read the
following lines.
Working in this situation is really frustrating, but I'd like to know if
you have noticed this problem.
On the italian community it is the greatest problem, but I'm not able to
isolate the condition that makes NVDA so laggy.

Do you have some experiences or ideas about it?
Thank you.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org <http://www.al-islam.org/>

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Apparently Jaws is more jerky than slow all the time. See my other message. I do not myself have the latest office or jaws so...
[...]

Nika Tsiklauri

 I do have a latest office and latest NVDA. It  also lacks there too.  it was the same on windows seven.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

There a number of people who get slowness and a number who do not and this seems to be a bit of a mystery. The only thing I can advise is that you all get involved in the relevant github issues being created and hopefully some sense will emerge by looking at hardware and software involved. My gut feeling is that its the multicore processors that are suffering uneven loadings due to many parts of windows, including nvda being run in a single core and maxing it out. The multi processor issue has always been a problem as obviously many tasks rely on the output from others for their data and hence if its taking longer things will slow down. Its not just simply a case of lets make nvda 64 bit as we still have the dependent outcome issues.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I do have a latest office and latest NVDA. It also lacks there too. it
was the same on windows seven.

Devin Prater

Oh, I have a threaded quad core CPU, 1 TB spinning drive, and 8 gigs of ram. But Narrator is slow with Office as well. The only Screen Reader that I know isn’t slow with Office is JAWS, and I’d rather not let the shark take the arm and a leg to buy it.

On Nov 19, 2017, at 3:28 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:

[...]

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Nika Tsiklauri" <ntsiklauri2@...>
I do have a latest office and latest NVDA. It  also lacks there too.  it
was the same on windows seven.

Simone Dal Maso

Ok, but this is not acceptable, because we can-t say that NVDA is ok with office and when you use it you go into the lag/world.
I don-t know how to justify it, but I think this should be mentioned on main documentation.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nika Tsiklauri" <ntsiklauri2@gmail.com>
I do have a latest office and latest NVDA. It  also lacks there too.  it
was the same on windows seven.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

But Narrator is slow in everything!
I've not tried Jaws, but I got the distinct feeling they were messing with some dll files to get the performance they do.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I do have a latest office and latest NVDA. It  also lacks there too.  it
was the same on windows seven.

Devin Prater

I agree as well. I’ll stick with the Mac until this issue is resolved, either by me downgrading to a 32-bit version of Office, or by NV-Access, or even Microsoft, with Narrator.

bglists@... <mailto:bglists@...>