Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:17 PM
Subject: [nvda] quick navigation keys do not work

This is how it goes, the best I understand it.

I ran a scan today, using Sophos Home. It removed a couple of things that it said were a threat. After this, I can no longer reliably use quick navigation keys to do much of anything, either in Chrome or Firefox. This is with the latest versions of both of these browsers installed. This occurs even with Firefox Nightly.

I can press h for headings, and it might take me to an edit field, or say that this isn't supported in the document, or take me to a button. How would I register again the dll's that pertain to web accessibility? This is the only thing I can think of that would be the issue in both browsers. Would a reinstall of NVDA fix this issue?

Interesting things is that I can navigate fine within email messages in Thunderbird. H takes me to all headings.

On 11/16/2017 7:24 PM, Gene wrote:
You can try to register the items but the items may no longer be there.  if they were considered threats, they may have been quaranteened.  You may have to restore them from quaranteen and then register them again.  But then there is the question of whether these are false positives or whether they have been infected.  I would suggest scanning with something else after you restore the files, if that is necessary.  A good online scanner might help you determine if Sofos (spelling) showed false positives or not.

Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:17 PM

This is how it goes, the best I understand it.

I ran a scan today, using Sophos Home. It removed a couple of things that it said were a threat. After this, I can no longer reliably use quick navigation keys to do much of anything, either in Chrome or Firefox. This is with the latest versions of both of these browsers installed. This occurs even with Firefox Nightly.

I can press h for headings, and it might take me to an edit field, or say that this isn't supported in the document, or take me to a button. How would I register again the dll's that pertain to web accessibility? This is the only thing I can think of that would be the issue in both browsers. Would a reinstall of NVDA fix this issue?

Gene

Your description of the problem doesn't match the unregistered dll files problem, at least not so far.  I've never seen such messages as not supported in the document described when this problem occurs nor any sort of irratic movement through the document.  I don't know why the commands work in Thunderbird nor what the unregistered dll files might cause to happen in Thunderbird.

I'm not sure what to advise.  What I'll suggest is that you put the quarantened items back, if you can, and see if things work properly.  If they don't, you can try the procedure for registering dll files.  Then if things are working properly, you can scan with a good online scanner and something like malware bytes and see if the same files are flagged.

Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] quick navigation keys do not work

Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:17 PM

This is how it goes, the best I understand it.

I ran a scan today, using Sophos Home. It removed a couple of things that it said were a threat. After this, I can no longer reliably use quick navigation keys to do much of anything, either in Chrome or Firefox. This is with the latest versions of both of these browsers installed. This occurs even with Firefox Nightly.

I can press h for headings, and it might take me to an edit field, or say that this isn't supported in the document, or take me to a button. How would I register again the dll's that pertain to web accessibility? This is the only thing I can think of that would be the issue in both browsers. Would a reinstall of NVDA fix this issue?

The problem is now solved! It all had to do with the fact that I opted into the Sophos Home beta for version 1.28 of their software. I'm currently running 1.27 with no issues. However, that beta is seriously bad news for those of us who use screen readers. I need to tell them this information and see if it can't be fixed. I just wish I had thought of this sooner.

Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:29 PM

Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:17 PM

This is how it goes, the best I understand it.

I ran a scan today, using Sophos Home. It removed a couple of things that it said were a threat. After this, I can no longer reliably use quick navigation keys to do much of anything, either in Chrome or Firefox. This is with the latest versions of both of these browsers installed. This occurs even with Firefox Nightly.

I can press h for headings, and it might take me to an edit field, or say that this isn't supported in the document, or take me to a button. How would I register again the dll's that pertain to web accessibility? This is the only thing I can think of that would be the issue in both browsers. Would a reinstall of NVDA fix this issue?

John J. Boyer

I've been having trouble with quick navigation keys not working for months. They don't work in Firefox, but they do work
in Edge.

John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...

Do you have a piece of software that is installed that might be interfeering with their functioning. I have an idea that the Sophos Home beta blocks code injection or something of that sort. I can't say yet if I am right or wrong.

On 11/17/2017 7:33 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:

[...]

I suspect the installation of Office 1016 or a Microsoft update. NVDA also can no longer recognize when the window in
focus changes unless it is a dialogue box.

John

On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 01:44:19AM -0500, Governor staten wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account

What anti virus are you using, does it start with an S?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

I am using Webroot Secure Anywhere. It is the one used by my maintenance provider. They have tried uninstalling it.
That made no difference.

John

On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 09:06:28AM -0000, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
What anti virus are you using, does it start with an S?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "John J. Boyer"
<john.boyer@...>

[...]

services
that are available at no cost

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
that are available at no cost

Chris

Maybe its one of your add-ons installed or a recent add-on update has broke something

Try disabling the add-ons see if that makes a difference

Or better still start Firefox with a clean default profile to see if it is actually Firefox itself or a setting or add-on in Firefox

I am using Webroot Secure Anywhere. It is the one used by my maintenance provider. They have tried uninstalling  it.

That made no difference.

John

On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 09:06:28AM -0000, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

> What anti virus are you using, does it start with an S?

> Brian

> bglists@...

> Sent via blueyonder.

> Please address personal email to:-

> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

> in the display name field.

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John J. Boyer"

> <john.boyer@...>

Well one of you with this issue needs to make a github issue. I think this is the only way to get it sorted. I'd imagine nobody in the development look has encounterd the issue, nuch the same as the one here about Google Chrome and translate and gmail too.
Both might be something specific to certain hardware and software combinations or other settings versions of windows and all sorts of other things. I have not seen this specific one at all. I have encounterd it a bit in IE but only when adblock is in and a page attempts multiple rubbish display, signified by continuous clicking in the sound.
Firefox old versions have remained OK for me, probably as the ad blockers work differently in thatbrowser.