Soulseek QT?

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Hey everyone.

I don't have much hope, but I wondered if anyone had success using this
programme with NVDA? I did install it when I used JAWS exclusively and could
not do a thing with it beyond the setup screen, which was accessible. It
uses some library that writes directly to the screen, I think, and JAWS at
least couldn't see a word beyond that point. But I feel like people who use
NVDA are perhaps more willing to experiment and try things out, and I
wondered if anyone here had managed to successfully use this?

Right now, I do run Soulseek NS occasionally. It works ... ok, but doesn't
always play nice with Windows 10, sometimes disappearing from the available
windows altogether (even though it is still listed in task manager as a
running process) and sometimes failing to start altogether, and I'm also not
really convinced it is indexing my files properly. Soulseek NS hasn't been
developed for probably ten years, so it'd be nice to get on board with QT,
though I guess it's pretty cool that NS still works at all.

I did find one or two forum posts about QT with screen-readers and it didn't
really seem like there was a lot of interest in making it accessible. But
those posts were from years ago, too, and sometimes I miss things with
google searches. Just thought it was worth a shot!

Cheers.

Holger Fiallo <hfiallo@...>

Did not work for me with jaws and W10. I was using it with W7 and work well. I also attempted to make it work with NVDA current, jaws 2018 and no go. I like the program but now is hard to use.

[...]

qt has some accessibility doings.

Sadly it doesn't seem everyone impliments these right.

Malwarebytes really does try, but its not what I'd call a tidy program.

I mean it works to the point I can hit buttons and review bits of info but I can't check or uncheck, and reading is well its just rough as a bed of nails is all.

The only program that uses qt in my opinion that even works nicely is teamtalk.

And thats only probably because its dev just transfered the classic interface as an option without it it does work ok to.

He does use tolque which in itself is an accessibility library which controls readers and tells them what they should be saying.

Sadly not to many things use something like this outside maybe blind games.

On 20/11/2017 8:34 a.m., JM Casey wrote:
[...]

Hm, so wait, you got Soulseek QT to work on Windows 7? Not the NS client,
right? The nS is the older client; I am using it now on Windows 10 but it
has some problems, and hasn't been developed since probably the early days
of XP. Still, at least it runs and is reasonably accessible, I guess. I
would however like to use the current client if possible, because half the
time people can't seem to download from me even though I have a nice
connection, and the programme likes to disappear on me. Like, it will stay
in the task manager as a process but the window is nowhere ... it's not in
the taskbar or anything.

[...]

Hey Sean.
At first I was confused and not sure why you were referring to malwarebytes, but after reading the whole message, I think I get it. These programmes use the same library and bypass the operating system for screen drawing? I don't fully understand the issues involved but I guess I have a vague notion. I do find malwarebytes good enough to use but yes, I agree it's not an awesome experience ... but then it's the sort of programme you just run and then leave, not something you have up and always want to fiddle with. I need more feedback than that from Soulseek. I already have issues with NS, but I guess what you're saying is that I too will just have to settle for "good enough for now, I guess"?

[...]

When I was using W7, yes.

[...]

That's very interesting. You'd think then it would also work in windows 10.
Did you ever try running Soulseek QT in compatibility mode?

[...]

I agree, mbam is something I install in demo mode on a system with suspected infections and that needs clearing, but it doesn't stay on the systems in question long term.

I run it and use it if the user reports a problem or if something stupid has gone on, but then its gone.

It does what I need it to do and it is usable to the point where it does what it does, but I wouldn't use it to tie my own shoe laces with.

On 20/11/2017 9:14 a.m., JM Casey wrote:
[...]

.

I think some folks have been able to get qt apps to work to a extent

using some accessible dlls and other stuff that people can get from the tap in radio folder?

I seemed this mentioned some where else and I used to have the zip file that some one zipped up a while back.  I have sense lost it but it did help in qt apps a bit like I said it made them work a bit better to a extent

On 11/19/2017 3:51 PM, JM Casey wrote:
[...]

Hey Wolf.

I do not know anything about Tap In Radio, so I guess I don't have those .dlls. Would be nice to get this particular programme working in its current version rather than using something that's a decade (or maybe even more) old and a bit wobbly.

BTW did you get my private message about the Apple?

[...]

no I didn't receive the private message about the apple

Ah. I sent it after we spoke earlier about the emulator. Check your junk? crystallogic@ca.inter.net. Tha'ts me.

[...]

I didn't receive anything in my junk folder

what were you trying to say?

Hank

On 11/20/2017 4:33 PM, JM Casey wrote:
[...]

I sent you the link to the emulator + disk images and so on. Just tried sending the message again.