Options Please?

David Russell

Dear Group,

I am having help this evening in about 12 hours, to download and
install something to replace Firefox 57 as my processor cannot meet
the demand ot the new Quantum. That was supposed to read, of the new
Quantum.

I have a windows 7 machine.

I notice someone asked for NVDA 17.4, 32-bit version link to be sent
them. I have a 64-bit machine, but notice the link said Firefox 57
Thunderbird. Yet there was a number 52.4 somewhere in the email or
request. I understand about the ESR Version, or going with Firefox 56
as an option. However, I read an article stating that unless one
downloaded previous versions by November 10, they now have to resort
to the ESR Version; the article is by one Sarah Pulis. I don't recall
the publication title, but it comes from Australia online.

I live in the US and wonder is Thunderbird something NVDA produces
that comes loaded with a user-friendly version of Mozilla for blind
users working with windows computers pre Windows 10?

Should I go to the nvaccess.org link to download the ESR version or to
Mozilla? I did see the notice posted on October 31. A link was
provided.

Finally, is there a tutorial somewhere instructing blind users on
steps to downloading and installing a program to the computer via
keyboard?

Thanks for bearing with my lengthy message.

All the Best,

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@gmail.com

Gene

I don't know what the writer of the article was saying or had in mind.  Old versions of firefox have and will continue to be available but it makes no sense to use anything other than the ESR version at this time.  Anything you saw regarding Thunderbird doesn't apply.  I don't know if it matters, but I would suggest using the 32 bit version of the ESR program.  that ensures that you wont have problems with add ons that may only run in the 32 bit version.  Also, I suspect the 32 bit version may be at least a little less demanding on processor power, though I don't know that.  There is either nothing, or nothing that matters, that you can't do with the 32 bit ESR program than with the 64 bit ESR program.

This has nothing to do with NVDA.  Download the program from Mozilla.
Here is a download link for the American version.

Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 7:51 AM
Subject: [nvda] Options Please?

[...]

Dan Beaver

Gene,

I tried using the link you gave and Chrome gave me a security warning page.  It says it isnt secure.  Are you sure that is a valid Mozilla site?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

On 11/20/2017 9:51 AM, Gene wrote:
I don't know what the writer of the article was saying or had in mind.  Old versions of firefox have and will continue to be available but it makes no sense to use anything other than the ESR version at this time.  Anything you saw regarding Thunderbird doesn't apply.  I don't know if it matters, but I would suggest using the 32 bit version of the ESR program.  that ensures that you wont have problems with add ons that may only run in the 32 bit version.  Also, I suspect the 32 bit version may be at least a little less demanding on processor power, though I don't know that.  There is either nothing, or nothing that matters, that you can't do with the 32 bit ESR program than with the 64 bit ESR program.

This has nothing to do with NVDA.  Download the program from Mozilla.
Here is a download link for the American version.
And the South African version is:

Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 7:51 AM

[...]

Casey <cwollner@...>

Hi when you go to the American link to down load this program that you sent.

It gives you an error and tells you something about that the sirtifacit isn't valid or something like that.

So you may want to look in to this.

Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 7:51 AM

[...]

The link is the direct download link to download the program.  When you use it, the download procedure your browser uses should begin.  I tried the American link, you didn't specify which you trued, and it works properly in Firefox.  There are several download links on the main page for every language category, presumably mirrors.
the links came directly from the Mozilla site so they are either Mozilla links or officially approved links.
To try other links, go to

[...]

Hi,

I tried the American link when I got the error.

I just tried the link in this posting and used Firefox this time and it gave me a unsecured site warning too.

I think I will just forget about it for now.

Thanks anyway.

Dan Beaver

Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 7:51 AM

[...]

I just checked and the American link yields an insecure connection message.  This is on the Mozilla site so if you want to report it to Mozilla, that may be helpful.  There are, as I said, a lot of download links on the actual page that lists the different language versions so you may try any other you wish.

[...]

hello.
firefox since version 52, considers this link insecure.
but for me (who decided never update my firefox from 51), dont recieve
this error.

hear you are the direct link which i sent it before for latest firefox
esr version.

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.5.0esr/win32/en-US/Firefox%20Setup%2052.5.0esr.exe

https://download-sha1.allizom.org/?product=firefox-esr-latest-ssl&os=win&lang=en-US

[...]

Here is the Brittish version:

https://download-sha1.allizom.org/?product=firefox-esr-latest-ssl&os=win&lang=en-GB
And the South African version is:

https://download-sha1.allizom.org/?product=firefox-esr-latest-ssl&os=win&lang=en-ZA

[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Gene

Here is another link that won't have this problem:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Thunderbird as far as I'm aware is downloadeable, and even has a portable version
Firefox, I'd plump for 52 as when you poll for updates it is updated without going for the new version and will do for about a year, and if they have not sorted it by then, then its probably a waste of time.

I downloaded it quite easily from a link given on here.
Thunderbird versions are as I say around, but I do not think in that case much is being done with it these days development wise. Its a shame, but it seems client based email is dying.
I am often moaned at for getting Outlook Express patches from third parties but really I'm of an age where I tend to think, I just want it to work I don't care about anything else much.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

In my experience anything not totally https has Chrome going into a fit. One reason why I ditched it.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I tried using the link you gave and Chrome gave me a security warning page. It says it isnt secure. Are you sure that is a valid Mozilla site?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

On 11/20/2017 9:51 AM, Gene wrote:

I don't know what the writer of the article was saying or had in mind. Old versions of firefox have and will continue to be available but it makes no sense to use anything other than the ESR version at this time. Anything you saw regarding Thunderbird doesn't apply. I don't know if it matters, but I would suggest using the 32 bit version of the ESR program. that ensures that you wont have problems with add ons that may only run in the 32 bit version. Also, I suspect the 32 bit version may be at least a little less demanding on processor power, though I don't know that. There is either nothing, or nothing that matters, that you can't do with the 32 bit ESR program than with the 64 bit ESR program.Â
This has nothing to do with NVDA. Download the program from Mozilla.Â
Here is a download link for the American version.Â
[...]

No, download it and scan it. I think its OK I often see such warnings and can often trace them to an unupdated cert in the computer.

As long as it is the bona fide site and not a fake you are normally ok.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I tried the American link when I got the error.

I just tried the link in this posting and used Firefox this time and it gave me a unsecured site warning too.

I think I will just forget about it for now.

Thanks anyway.

Dan Beaver

On 11/20/2017 10:08 AM, Gene wrote:

The link is the direct download link to download the program. When you use it, the download procedure your browser uses should begin. I tried the American link, you didn't specify which you trued, and it works properly in Firefox. There are several download links on the main page for every language category, presumably mirrors.Â
the links came directly from the Mozilla site so they are either Mozilla links or officially approved links.Â
[...]

Hi here is my download do a check for updates when its installed as there is now a new version that it will download for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fuefou1m2ugh4mk/Firefox%20Setup%2052.4.1esr.exe?dl=1

[...]

That is the 64 bit version though.

https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-esr-latest-ssl&os=win64&lang=en-US

[...]

I'm not sure why that is.  I had assumed the page knew what version of Windows is being used and downloads 32 bit for a 32 bit computer and 64 bit for a 64 bit computer.  However, if I was being shown download links for the 64 bit version when I went to the page using 32 bit Windows, I'm not sure why.  Perhaps since I didn't have scripts enabled, the page didn't know what version to show links for but I've never seen such an instance where the page didn't show a message telling you to enable scripts.

So people can either look for themselves or they can use the portable version.

It looks to me as though there is only one portable version and it's 32 bit if that is the case.  The page to see more information and to find a download link is:

Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 1:25 PM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
[...]

Yeah I had no choice, it did it for things like my router, local servers, etc, etc, etc.

Firefox even though 57 is the way it is is still a good program.

Using https everywhere and privacy badger along with ublock does help insure I am at least on a secure page as much as I can be.

Sadly I do get a cert expired message and I have to doodle with it to make it work.

Sometimes I tell the web people and it is in fact an expired cert which they promptly fix.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Beaver" <dbeaver888@gmail.com>

[...]

.

Quentin Christensen

Re Firefox, according to Marco's post that I referenced in In-Process last week: https://www.nvaccess.org/category/in-process/

Your options are either:

If you download Firefox 56, it will automatically try to upgrade to Firefox 57 unless you turn off all updates, but you are better off using either ESR or beta as they will still get security fixes.

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 12:51 AM, David Russell <david.sonofhashem@...> wrote:
[...]

Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess