From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 5:05 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] nvda, and tutorials

Hi.

It seems to me with all the drama going on on here that a few things need to happen.

Firstly if there isn't a tutorials page on the nvda wiki maybe it needs to be visible, maybe as part of the support page or download page or even main pages you should have links to the user guide, audio demos of features, audio and text tutorials maybe some sort of faq to.

It would really cut down on all the drama on here if someone wants to fine a tutorial that we can give a centralised location where all links to tutorials on and off site are placed.

Its only a suggestion, I am unsure how to make it a formal proposal but it would be a good way to make most of this stuff go away and would be generally good.

If this stuff exists deep down somewhere maybe it could be brought together somewhere and if someone has a lot of it somewhere else then it should be linked in this central location to.

Cristóbal

This is one of the complaints often heard about NVDA. More so for folks who want to dip their toes into this screen reader. Better/well organized access to support info such as this would likely make the newbie experience go a whole lot smoother. Not to mention appreciated by everyone as well.

[...]

Gene

This is a long message containing my suggestions for organizing the web site for the benefit of new or not very knowledgeable users.  There may be a little repetition about how to find or get certain information but that may be helpful to those looking.

I haven't looked at the web site to any extent for awhile but the last time I looked, I thought it was poorly organized.  It should be very clear how to get important kinds of information from the home page, including a link to the extra voices page, sihnce, like it or not, the default voice is one of the things many people strongly object to and want to change immediately, a link to a discussion of how to use the built-in Windows Voices so that those who want to do so may do so as soon after installation as possible. a link to some sort of tutorial collection, such as the other Gene's, and a link to an NVDA tutorial such as Joseph Lees, a link to the add ons page, and a link to the support page with the explanation that information about how to join a users' group is available on that page.
There may be other things that should be there but those are the things that come to mind.

I said that these links should be on the home page, but if that is undesirable, there could be something like a link on the home page that says something like information for beginners and, when this link is followed, information such as I've discussed would be in that section.

Also, those switching to NVDA often have a certain number of specific questions that are repeated by a lot of people who are trying NVDA on lists.  It might be a good idea to have one distinct article for beginners with answers to a small number of very common questions such as how do I shut down NVDA, how to I get to the user manual, how do I change the voice and the voice speed and other parameters, and, although I don't recall seeing this asked, where is there a list of keyboard commands.

I would also suggest giving a link to the User Guide online so that those who want to look at it with their old screen-reader may do so and not have to be using NVDA and getting used to it at the same time as looking at the first few sections of the user Guide.

[...]

Quentin Christensen

Hi Gene and everyone,

An FAQ that automatically gets sent to new members on the list with answers to some of these questions is a good idea (if one doesn't exist already, I must admit, I joined awhile ago and can't recall).  Maybe a link to it in the signature?

Re the web site, as many know, we are in a process which has ended up being longer than anticipated, of refreshing the site, or basically rolling out a whole new site, and once that is live or available to preview, I'll be sure to post here to get your feedback on it.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

I don't know of such a FAQ, but rather than have a FAQ and separate information on the web site, I think the information should be on the web site and a link be given in a welcome message with an explanation of the kinds of information available on the page.

[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

I just had a look at another screen reader  and i think it would be the same for the second. The first screen reader under the help section had a section called documentation and a sub menu off that for the user manual, readme and training resources.

I have not the other screen reader installed but guess it will be a similar idea.

I as a user would rather be pointed in the right direction for resources etc which makes sense coming from the nvda screen readder its self.

so like under the help section there could be the user manual, maybe the whats new, a link to the training material or the shop as it is called., the guides people have done on the wicki page. Maybe even the FAQ wicki I did also see there was a part there for remote help but in that case they had the application there where we do not.

But you get the idea.

Part of the reason i put in those sections that i linked to my website was to make it easier for others to find the same material where it probably is harder to find at present.

I know where some of it is or most.

I was thinking even a link to the email user lists as well to join.

I guess if it was part of nvda i guess when i look at the numbers of nvda users over 45 thousand max and still going up that is alot of people to point in the right direction if needed.

Gene nz

Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 7:29 PM

[...]

Thanks for the forward joseph wasn't sure where appropriate things should go, figured if you got it on one list well.

On 21/11/2017 2:07 p.m., Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi Quentin,
Any thoughts on this?
Cheers,
Joseph

.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

I guess maybe i might have to do some re linking sooner or later off my main pages. Hopefully not over the christmas period

I was hoping a long while back some thing like that might of been done but i think now maybe a ticket might of had to be done.

I just looked under our own help menu there to see how it can be re shuffled.

Food for thought for the community and the project what material would go there as pointing people in the right direction.

Will it happen i would vote yes but see what others say plus the project.

Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 7:29 PM

[...]

Well not just newby info advanced stuff, even some of the dev information or where to go.

Now I know if you know where you are going then you know where to go but I'd like a centralised location for every document and maybe a faq.

In the old days before it fell out of updates, the hafaq was part of the old hal users list and had all the questions we the users asked especially the ones that angered the mods so much.

It was supposed to be upgraded but eventually those that maintained it left to do other tasks and no one came forward to replace them so it was never done.

It wasn't just user questions, it went into what a dll was, where the dolphin, orpheus and hal names originated etc a lot of usefull info and a lot of useless info for entertainment.

It didn't last long but it was a nice document.

So for us all the basic to advanced to dev, to whatever, tutorials manuals, reviews,, the program accessibility list of things that work with nvda.

A list of all the speech synths updated or links to usefull resources, the list goes on.

On 21/11/2017 2:29 p.m., Cristóbal wrote:
[...]

I object to beeing sent a faq, a link to download a faq fine, the issue with this is once I have read the guidelines or any reminders unless I actually need them they usually are junked /deleted.

As a user I really would prefur something other than an extra email which I will find not usefull to me and then delete.

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 12:52 PM, Gene <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:

[...]

Well a faq was the suggestion I put, but this was in the old days before you really had much choice, a link to information properly indexed and marked up and updated would be fine.

Also the ability to download bits of the info for offline viewing and maybe a zip with all the information or bits of the information depending on what is chosen.

Again suggestions.

Its just something does need doing, to often I have seen lists enter what was a usefull topic then degrade into a useless topic, in the middle people bitterly complain about what are probably justified at the time but degenerate into well mud slinging etc.

Eventually on other lists I have been on the worst trouble makers are banned, the list guidelines are rewritten with more blocked words on them, the subject is never properly resolved.

Eventually it gets so bad that people like me rage quit the lists or if I don't or we don't the lists die themselves.

It seems that there are opertunities that shouldn't be missed here is all.

The last mud sling did actually generate some good reason to moan, and the fact is we have a chance to address these where we can.

As for the website I honestly havn't visited the thing or read to much into it, but if people says things need to be done I will believe it, the addons and the main download page as well as some of the wikis for synths I visit but I havn't needed to look at that site for ages now.

On 21/11/2017 3:23 p.m., Gene wrote:
[...]

Well off the top of my head.

All the scattered user tutorials that are scattered about for start, edge, ribbons, all the extra junk that is loaded here  in usefull but useless non linked and easy loosable content without a big search that is.

A place to link directly to the shop to buy guides like the 22 point win10 guide, the nvda training guide, the addon dev guide.

Resources for devs, resources for users.

The accessibility programs list, the list of speech and braille devices.

The addons repo or repos that are good.

There is probably more information and such, maybe a history of the reader and the nvaccess itself.

There is probably more that I can add, but that will do for now.

www.nvaccess.org<http://www.nvaccess.org/>
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
[Image NVDA certified expert]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

You would not want to much off those menus if they were in the help section only the relevant stuff. there is also under the add on manager a button that takes you to the add on page so will not be needed in the help menus. Really if you look at the other 2 screen readers windows eyes and jaws you will get the idea of what would go there.

Why would a new user of nvda need source code etc there they would not in those menus

but if referring to the website just see how it is sorted.

gene nz

On 11/21/2017 6:31 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Tony Ballou

Hi,

Just my take but I think this is a great idea to have that as well as
links to the accessibility central website is there is a myriad of
tutorials and information about NVDA there. Think of it as a one-stop shop.

Tony

On 11/20/2017 8:07 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi Quentin,
Any thoughts on this?
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Hi Tony

Thanks for the complement on the website.

It would be better say to the guides where some others have done it.

The reason for that 2 is things change like i change accessibilitycentral.net say to accessibilitycentral.org or com for cheaper domain prices. Or i look at other free options for domain names etc so really pointing people in the right direction is better like for resources or training material etc like you would see in windows eyes when it was been used or jaws to point people in the right direction.

I do feel the project should do some thing like that in the nvda menus.  When you do look now it does show user guide, quick reference etc but not what was mentioned above unless you go to nvaccess.org and look for the shop.

Food for thought for the project or community.

Gene nz

On 11/22/2017 10:42 AM, Tony Ballou wrote:
[...]

I just went looking for guides etc done by users etc on both the community website and the nv access website do you reckon i could find them easily?

I think it was quicker for me to do a search with google.

I did go to the cummunity link but way down the page past all the other stuff there was a link to the https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/Guides

New users would not really have a idea to do that unless they were taken straight to that page.

I think I would rather just be pointed straight to the page from nvda.

I did also look under the nvaccess page as well i could find some info under the get help sectionot the guides.

plus the shop was easy to find. But I think maybe a couple of other sections could go there 2 to make it easier for people to find the type of info by people of the community.

.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes already mentioned this elsewhere. It seems to me that over time this has become fragmented and a simple to follow way to report issues might have headed off the bits of bugs that are in the current RC as more of the new users could have just reported the issues.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Jenni Kent <jennipalmer@...>

I wish all addons had an auto updater honestly. but hey you cant always get what you want. It's hard for me to track my addon updates. I am probably running some out of date stuff because it says posted on the addon site not updated it would help if they changed that date to when the add on was last updated. Just a thought.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene New Zealand" <hurrikennyandopo@outlook.co.nz>

[...]

Lenron

I feel the same way. hve been wishing for most addons to auto update
for a long time.

On 11/27/17, Jenni Kent <jennipalmer@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where
you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can
use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To
find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit
(Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert
near you, please visit the following link
https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains
the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the
world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I heartily agree. Although new add ons may well flag updates one really does needs to be careful from now on due to the big changes about to happen in the nvda world due to new wx version and Python 3.x coming up. Many add ons will need rewrites to stay working on the new compilers.