Submenu expantion on website

Jonathan Milam

Hi All,

When I visit:

http://help.wfu.edu

and attempt to expand the submenus for Help, explore services, WFU Community, and About Us, the menu doesn’t expand with enter or space, or even using the number pad  to left click it.  I have tested with Firefox, IE and Chrome.  However, JAWS expands them without difficulty.  Are there any ideas for what the developer can try to make these expand properly?  When expanded, the body of the web page changes and the content appears under the next heading.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Sarah k Alawami

Can you contact the developer and ask them to test the site wiht nvda and give the steps to reproduce? If you did contact the dev what  did they say?

On Nov 22, 2017, at 8:59 AM, Jonathan Milam <milamj@...> wrote:

Hi All,

When I visit:

http://help.wfu.edu

and attempt to expand the submenus for Help, explore services, WFU Community, and About Us, the menu doesn’t expand with enter or space, or even using the number pad  to left click it.  I have tested with Firefox, IE and Chrome.  However, JAWS expands them without difficulty.  Are there any ideas for what the developer can try to make these expand properly?  When expanded, the body of the web page changes and the content appears under the next heading.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Adriani Botez

I can reproduce it with NVDA 2017.3 on windows 10 and firefox , google crome, IE and Edge. It seems that NVDA does not recognize them as usual submenus. However, it works when you activate focus mode by pressing NVDA + space, then navigate with tab to the link you want to expand and press enter to expand it.

Best

Adriani

and attempt to expand the submenus for Help, explore services, WFU Community, and About Us, the menu doesn’t expand with enter or space, or even using the number pad  to left click it.  I have tested with Firefox, IE and Chrome.  However, JAWS expands them without difficulty.  Are there any ideas for what the developer can try to make these expand properly?  When expanded, the body of the web page changes and the content appears under the next heading.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Gene

I don't know why you see things I don't see.  I see no menus.  Are you logged on somehow or is the site different in some way depending on some sort of conditions such as membership?

Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 11:39 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Submenu expantion on website

[...]

When you activate focus mode and pres tab and then enter, the menu will expand and you will have some additional links. For example our community contains Alumni, Staff and so on. Jaws seems not to recognize the new links. NVDA recognizes them only in focus mode but not in browse mode. I will create an issue for that.

Best

Adriani

and attempt to expand the submenus for Help, explore services, WFU Community, and About Us, the menu doesn’t expand with enter or space, or even using the number pad  to left click it.  I have tested with Firefox, IE and Chrome.  However, JAWS expands them without difficulty.  Are there any ideas for what the developer can try to make these expand properly?  When expanded, the body of the web page changes and the content appears under the next heading.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jonathan Milam

Thanks very much, Adriani.  I really appreciate your help.  I tested this and it works very well as you described.  It sounds as if there is nothing the developer needs to modify on his end then.  I am fairly new with NVDA, and thus didn’t think to try this process.

Warmly,

Jonathan

[...]

I've ben an nvda user since 2010 but I forgot how do you get to focus mode again? I feel I should know this, but for some reason I'm drawing a blank over here. Maybe it's because I'm exhausted and a bit stressed about some stuff I need to get done before the end of the year.

On Nov 22, 2017, at 10:21 AM, Jonathan Milam <milamj@...> wrote:

[...]

Hareth <hareth4m@...>

NVDA key plus space bar, its a toggle hotkey.

[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Jonathon,

With these types of menus, here is what I do.  Switch to edit  mode with insert + space bar.  Then press enter.  When I did this on the first collapse link, it actually read search.  Then I switched out of the edit mode and down a few lines was a combo box that gave you a choice of what type of search and an edit box to type in a search string.

Give this a try on those types of links that say collapsed and many of  them work like edit combo boxes.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Brian's Mail list account

So really the problem is that they are not actually being identified correctly for us, not that they do not work.
Confusing.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

hi Adriani,
i appreciate your help, i had this problem and did not know the solution.
God bless you for your helping me!

<bglists@...> wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org