can't upgrade to the nvda 2017.4 rc

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, everyone,

I'm using narrator to write this message. I tried to update to nvda 2017.4 RC but when I tried to update to that version, something blocked it from coming up. I called the microsoft disability line and they couldn't get it to come up either. When Best Buys repaired my computer, they put on this thing called web rooter or something like that. I don't know what to do. They also installed C cleaner which I really didn't need. How do I allow web rooter to unblock nvda so I can upgrade?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Robert Mendoza

It has nothing to do with the CCleaner perhaps the block you've encountered is the UAC - User Account Control. By doing so, you could try to adjust or turn off the level of control to allow to update of the nvda into your machine Since, you mentioned that your machine has been repaired.

Robert Mendoza

Hi, everyone,

I'm using narrator to write this message. I tried to update to nvda 2017.4 RC but when I tried to update to that version, something blocked it from coming up. I called the microsoft disability line and they couldn't get it to come up either. When Best Buys repaired my computer, they put on this thing called web rooter or something like that. I don't know what to do. They also installed C cleaner which I really didn't need. How do I allow web rooter to unblock nvda so I can upgrade?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Jacob Kruger

It wasn't just something like the UAC prompt that required you to sort of automatically hit alt + A, followed by alt + Y to then let it continue?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
On 2017/11/23 08:27, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

Hi, everyone,

I'm using narrator to write this message. I tried to update to nvda 2017.4 RC but when I tried to update to that version, something blocked it from coming up. I called the microsoft disability line and they couldn't get it to come up either. When Best Buys repaired my computer, they put on this thing called web rooter or something like that. I don't know what to do. They also installed C cleaner which I really didn't need. How do I allow web rooter to unblock nvda so I can upgrade?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Hmm when I look up web rooter it gives me Canadian plumbers!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I'm using narrator to write this message. I tried to update to nvda 2017.4
RC but when I tried to update to that version, something blocked it from
coming up. I called the microsoft disability line and they couldn't get it
to come up either. When Best Buys repaired my computer, they put on this
thing called web rooter or something like that. I don't know what to do.
They also installed C cleaner which I really didn't need. How do I allow web
rooter to unblock nvda so I can upgrade?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Unless its what others are saying here, I cannot tell what your issue might be unless you have been relegated to a normal user without any admin rights at all by the company.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I'm using narrator to write this message. I tried to update to nvda 2017.4
RC but when I tried to update to that version, something blocked it from
coming up. I called the microsoft disability line and they couldn't get it
to come up either. When Best Buys repaired my computer, they put on this
thing called web rooter or something like that. I don't know what to do.
They also installed C cleaner which I really didn't need. How do I allow web
rooter to unblock nvda so I can upgrade?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Quentin Christensen

I would guess, as you did, that the issue is this web rooter.  To get to it, you can try:
1. Press alt+tab.  Hold down alt and keep tapping tab.  You should either find a "web rooter" window or similar, or eventually get back to the first window you had open.  Most anti-virus type programs don't have a window open so this won't necessarily find it, but it's the easiest first step.

2. Press WINDOWS+B to move the focus to the system tray (B for... because :)  I don't know, it's Microsoft's shortcut).  Next, press right arrow to move through the icons and see if you can find it there.  If you have "notification chevron" or "notification overflow" or similar, press up arrow, then use left arrow to move through those icons.

When you find it in the system tray, press applications key to bring up a context menu then down arrow through that, alternatively try enter or space.

Look for something like "Exit".

Failing that, press control+shift+escape to bring up task manager and down arrow through the running programs to find it.  If you press tab and find a "more details" button.  Press enter to show more details.  When you find web rooter, you can press alt+e to end task (or context menu then find end task).  Be sure you are exiting the right app as this will force close it and it could have unintended consequences if you close the wrong thing.

The other thing you might want to do, if you don't want this web rooter, is to open the start menu, type "add or remove programs" and see if you can find the program to uninstall.  Note it is a good idea to have an anti virus program of some sort running.  On Windows 10 I just use the built in defender, but there are third party ones which work as well.  At some point before uninstalling it, you might check and see if you can access the main program window or functions of this web rooter and see if you can access it.  If you can and you want to keep it, then you'll just need to figure out how to disable it while installing programs.  If it's not accessible, it's always worth shooting an email to the program developer to ask them to make it accessible.  Even if you aren't intending to keep it, your request might encourage them to make the program accessible for others (or for you down the track).

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 8:27 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
Unless its what others are saying here, I cannot tell what your issue might be unless you have been relegated to a normal user without any admin rights at all by the company.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rosemarie Chavarria" <knitqueen2007@...>

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

It's web root.

> I'm using narrator to write this message. I tried to update to nvda 2017.4
> RC but when I tried to update to that version, something blocked it from
> coming up. I called the microsoft disability line and they couldn't get it
> to come up either. When Best Buys repaired my computer, they put on this
> thing called web rooter or something like that. I don't know what to do.
> They also installed C cleaner which I really didn't need. How do I allow
> web
> rooter to unblock nvda so I can upgrade?
>

> Thanks for your help in advance.
>

> Rosemarie

Gene

If you have wqork done on a machine, you should tell the place doing the work, and perhaps have a written agreement, that nothing will be upgraded and nothing new will be placed on the machine without asking you first.  I don't know if Web Root is at all accessible.  But, from what I read, it used to be at least more or less useable by JAWS users by extensive use of the JAWS cursor.  But that was two years ago and who knows now.  Also, the system tray can be made to display the webroot icon if it isn't now and you can do things there, but I don't know what.  You may have a way to disable protection by right clicking on the icon, looking at whatever options come up, and trying to work with something that seems a category where you might find such an option.  I don't know whether Webroot provides more or enough more protection than other options that may be accessible to say whether you should keep it or not.  others may be able to comment on the question.  Also, in future, make sure you get the correct name of anything you agree to have added to the machine and write the items down, if you need to, to remember them.

I'm using narrator to write this message. I tried to update to nvda 2017.4
RC but when I tried to update to that version, something blocked it from
coming up. I called the microsoft disability line and they couldn't get it
to come up either. When Best Buys repaired my computer, they put on this
thing called web rooter or something like that. I don't know what to do.
They also installed C cleaner which I really didn't need. How do I allow web
rooter to unblock nvda so I can upgrade?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brice Mijares

Isn't it just plain webroot?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rosemarie Chavarria" <knitqueen2007@gmail.com>
I'm using narrator to write this message. I tried to update to nvda 2017.4
RC but when I tried to update to that version, something blocked it from
coming up. I called the microsoft disability line and they couldn't get it
to come up either. When Best Buys repaired my computer, they put on this
thing called web rooter or something like that. I don't know what to do.
They also installed C cleaner which I really didn't need. How do I allow web
rooter to unblock nvda so I can upgrade?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

This is a strange one as I pasted what was in that message and as I said got a list of plumbers.

Your advice is what I'd do but from bitter experience, I always put in writing that nothing should be added to a computer when it has to go back for a repair or if it has to be, that it is disabled by default on return to allow the user to tell what it is first. One cannot expect tech folk used to dealing with the general public to appreciate the hassle inaccessible screens can create in the absence of a sighted person. I often feel many people assume we all have this sighted person on ice in our freezer which we thaw out every time we need to tell what is going on in the sighted world.
grin.
I'd be very wary about using task manager as often security software refuses to be terminated and gums up the whole machine at that point with another of its inaccessible screens.
Even uninstalling one, the classic is Avast, can be fraught with problems, as it seems that many of them ban screenreaders from even accessing their uninstallers!

It will be doubly hard if all the person has is Narrator to achieve the end result, and if even narrator cannot get at the screens that does not bode well for anything else.
Of course if the person has an I Phone, and has downloaded Seeing AI, then people are telling me that the short text mode can read computer screens very well.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I'm using narrator to write this message. I tried to update to nvda 2017.4
RC but when I tried to update to that version, something blocked it from
coming up. I called the microsoft disability line and they couldn't get it
to come up either. When Best Buys repaired my computer, they put on this
thing called web rooter or something like that. I don't know what to do.
They also installed C cleaner which I really didn't need. How do I allow
web
rooter to unblock nvda so I can upgrade?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

Rosemary didn't know the correct name.  You may be saying the search results seem strange.  Rooter is part of the name of a large sewer cleaning company in the United States and is evidently used by other companies as well.

The added and disabled wording implies far too much leeway and discression on the part of those doing the work.  If the tech wants to add something he/she believes is important, it should be discussed with the owner.  Adding something and disabling it might be an option the owner might want to keep in mind and discuss with the tech if he proposes putting a program on the machine that runs in the background and that the user needs to control, such as an antivirus program.  But the unqualified added and disabled wording implies that, for example, if the tech doing the work believes that the person is using an ineffective antivirus program, he can put a different program on as long as it's disabled without the owner's permission.  Since you are not supposed to have two antivirus programs on the same machine, that would leave the person with no working antivirus program and with a program whose accessibility is not known to the tech or, perhaps to the owner as well.  Adding that to the agreement implies far too much latitude and discression on the part of the service people.  It circumvents far too much of the whole point of the stipulation to require permission.  If they don't like the antivirus program you have on the machine, does that mean that they can remove it, place another one on the machine and disable it?  What other implications does such a stipulation confer?  Anything the place doing the work or anyone working for that place wants to upgrade or add cannot be done without permission of the owner.  I don't want any ambiguity or wording that allows discression on the part of the tech in this respect.

> [...]
> program window or functions of this web rooter and see if you can access
> it.  If you can and you want to keep it, then you'll just need to figure
> out how to disable it while installing programs.  If it's not accessible,
> it's always worth shooting an email to the program developer to ask them
> make it accessible.  Even if you aren't intending to keep it, your request
> might encourage them to make the program accessible for others (or for you
> down the track).
>
> Kind regards
>
> Quentin.
>
> On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 8:27 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <
> bglists@...> wrote:
>
>> Unless its what others are saying here, I cannot tell what your issue
>> might be unless you have been relegated to a normal user without any

Don't know that was not what was said, anyway, I'm not about to try it!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I'm using narrator to write this message. I tried to update to nvda 2017.4
RC but when I tried to update to that version, something blocked it from
coming up. I called the microsoft disability line and they couldn't get it
to come up either. When Best Buys repaired my computer, they put on this
thing called web rooter or something like that. I don't know what to do.
They also installed C cleaner which I really didn't need. How do I allow web
rooter to unblock nvda so I can upgrade?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Brice Mijares

I have some experience with the Geek Squad. They service my laptop a couple of years ago and once it came back, I had webroot on my system.

Quentin Christensen

Good points re trying to use task manager or uninstall to stop anti-virus programs.

The other question I had for Rosemarie, was that you mentioned you tried to upgrade to 2017.4rc1 but it didn't work and now you are using Narrator.  Does NVDA 2017.3 (or whichever version you were using before) now no longer work at all?

One other option for using NVDA, more as a one off, as I wouldn't want to do this all the time, is if you run the 2017.4rc1 (rc2 we're up to now) launcher, it should at least load NVDA to the point of getting you to the license agreement.  As long as it gets that far, you can either select "continue" or even just alt+tab away from the window and leave it there and it will stay running and working for you (or you could setup a portable copy from there you should be able to run later at least without the startup music and which will remember your settings).

Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 6:45 AM, Brice Mijares <bricemijares@...> wrote:
I have some experience with the Geek Squad. They service my laptop a couple of years ago and once it came back, I had webroot on my system.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Kevin Cussick

I used to work helping other blind computer users get started. this program is a pest and you need to get rid of it I have had 2 systems with it on it and it caused no end of problems with nvda. I can't remember how hard it is to get rid of but try programs and features first.

It's web root.
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>, putting 'Brian Gaff'
> I'm using narrator to write this message. I tried to update to nvda
2017.4
> RC but when I tried to update to that version, something blocked it from
> coming up. I called the microsoft disability line and they couldn't
get it
> to come up either. When Best Buys repaired my computer, they put on this
> thing called web rooter or something like that. I don't know what to do.
> They also installed C cleaner which I really didn't need. How do I allow
> web
> rooter to unblock nvda so I can upgrade?
>

> Thanks for your help in advance.
>

> Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

I don't know why Best Buys even installed the program in the first place. I
tried programs and features but it didn't work. I also tried to see if I
could uninstall it from the system tray but that didn't work either. It's
gonna be hard to get rid of it.

> I'm using narrator to write this message. I tried to update to nvda
2017.4
> RC but when I tried to update to that version, something blocked it
from > coming up. I called the microsoft disability line and they
couldn't get it > to come up either. When Best Buys repaired my
computer, they put on this > thing called web rooter or something
like that. I don't know what to do.
> They also installed C cleaner which I really didn't need. How do I
allow > web > rooter to unblock nvda so I can upgrade?

> Thanks for your help in advance.
>

> Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Quentin,

I was able to upgrade to NVDA 2017.4 1 RC but not to the second NVDA 2017.4 RC. I'll try what you suggested and see if it works.

Rosemarie

[...]

How did you get rid of it?

I have some experience with the Geek Squad. They service my laptop a couple of years ago and once it came back, I had webroot on my system.

Rosemarie Chavarria

I think so but I can't get rid of it.

I'm using narrator to write this message. I tried to update to nvda
2017.4
RC but when I tried to update to that version, something blocked it
from coming up. I called the microsoft disability line and they
couldn't get it to come up either. When Best Buys repaired my
computer, they put on this thing called web rooter or something like
that. I don't know what to do.
They also installed C cleaner which I really didn't need. How do I
allow web rooter to unblock nvda so I can upgrade?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Robert Mendoza

Were you able to uninstall by chance directly rather into the Control panel