Topics

NVDA will not start

ely.r@...

First, I am relatively new to NVDA having worked with both WindowEyes and JAWS. I have been a TVI for longer than it seems possible. At present, I continue that teaching, but have started working with seniors, a group that I am proud to say I am a member. NVDA is a real option for my age group as many are no longer employed and don’t qualify for many aspects of rehabilitation services and many of whom are on fixed incomes that may prevent them from affording other options.

I have been learning NVDA for eight months or so and find the transition from other screen readers quite easy. However, I am stuck at the moment as NVDA will simply not run.

I had used it several weeks ago and needed to get back to building skills. I tried the usual things and finally uninstalled NVDA and reinstalled with the newest version. The install appeared to go without a hitch and the default voice spoke through the end of the process. Unfortunately, NVDA will still not run even when activated from the program group directly. ,

I would love any next step suggestions  to try and sort this out.

Many thanks,

Ric

have you tried to go to %appdata% and clobber the nvda folder?

Maybe a mangled setting.

I have had soundcards do bad things and need driver updates to.

On 24/11/2017 6:36 a.m., ely.r@comcast.net wrote:
[...]

Angela Delicata

Hi,

I finally decided to switch fromJaws to NVDA and find it so good: I wonder why people always think of Jaws as the only option and don't choose this great open source screen reader... It seems really fantastic!

The good thing is: there are all commands available in the help menu, so every one can learn... And I think it does many many things: now it can be compared  to Jaws! It is even faster! The transition is smooth and have no problems at all.

And I updated to the latest version with no particular nuisance.

Thank you so much to the wonderful devs who make it better every day!

Sorry for my terrible English, but I wanted to thank you those who put effort on what they do.
Ciao
Angela from Italy

Il 23/11/2017 20:18, Shaun Everiss ha scritto:
[...]

---
http://www.avg.com

Sky Mundell

Hello Angela. I agree with you that NVDA is a great alternative to JAWS.
There are organisations starting to embrace it. To answer your question as
to why people think that JAWS is the only option, it has to do with the fact
a lot of them had not checked out NVDA, and they think, "well, if its free,
it can't compare to JAWS. I really think that you'll start to see more
organisations embracing NVDA in the long term. I come from both a JAWS and a
Window-Eyes background. I started in 2000 using JAWS 3.5, then, in 2006, got
my own copy of Window-Eyes and used that until 2017 before switching to NVDA
and boy NVDA is indeed faster. Its even more faster on my SSD solid state
hard drive that I have.

[...]

Brice Mijares

I too was a 20 year user of window eyes and migrated to Jaws, and paid the 129 dollars for the 2 upgrades and still haven't use Jaws. NVDA to me was less complicated, than jaws.

On 11/23/2017 11:37 AM, Sky Mundell wrote:
[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

I think also since you can also now buy training material to learn nvda word etc and more to come the blind foundations around the world are starting to take a closer look.

it also means they do not have to do any of that side of it like making up tutorials etc that i have seen from time to time from our adaptive tech people.

I love the idea that i can have as many copies of it and not limited. Plus some people the price of some of the sma for them in american dollars may not be 2 bad but in some other countries etc it is a fortune. Let alone the price to buy it.

Not sure if you sus out the amount of people that access the net every day with nvda but i have seen it over 45.000 people using nvda. But if there is no internet access or have the update feature turned off there may be even more.Check out the number of user here in the world at http://community.nvda-project.org/usersByCountry.html

I know here in new zealand if you check out our numbers it might say a max of 115 or some thing today but i know for a fact there are 750 extra copies on our library network that are turned off for updates. But they still upgrade it to the latest each year.

I know when i get the chance i also have when i send out emails say a link to the project in my signature and every 3 months say about the release of nvda on our telephone information service to the blind and email groups that i am on.

Word of mouth etc people are finding out.

Gene nz

On 24/11/2017 6:36 a.m., ely.r@... wrote:
[...]

David <trailerdavid@...>

Sure, NVDA has come a long way. I started using it as a backup screen
reader several years ago. Considering what it can perform today, I do
agree it starts to come up on the side of the paid-for products.

As to your question of why it is, that people seem to think other screen
readers are superior, I do hold there should be a few reasons. One thing
is what they are being informed. The other is what they think, as one of
the listers already pointed out.

Still, NVDA will be but one out of the nearly ten screen readers I have
been in touch with, up through the years. I am still running Window-Eyes
as my main reader, and have started learning Jaws. Reason? NVDA simply
won't do in all the activity I am doing on the computer. It fails in
some of the programs I have running.

NVDA is a great product. It has saved me out of numerous situations,
when WinEyes locked up. It is fast, light on resources, and it is free
and hence available for all. Yet it has its drawbacks. Might i just
remind you of the discussion going on the very last days, about its
slowness and lacks in Office?

Point in summary: NVDA is a good alternative, and might be the right
thing for all users, who are using their computer for simple daily
activity. For a number of users, it will not be sufficient as a
only-kid-on-the-block product, but will serve as a perfect backup screen
reader, at moments when the main reader fails. And, for an indefinite
number of users, it simply will never get well enough, due to their
high-end computer usage.

Claiming that one screen reader is "the best", is never a good idea.
Till date, after more than thirty years of computer usage, I have yet
not seen the screen reader that would be fully superior in all cases. If
NVDA meets your requirements, expectations and needs, congratulations;
you are the winner. Others will have all good reasons to claim it does
not, and they will have choices in the market.

In additon, people might be operating in environments - like workplaces
- where they will have no choice, but to go for high-end screen readers.
Does your employer demand a certain software being used in their domain,
and this software takes high-end approaches in computer resources, NVDA
might not even be able to get to the info that will be needed.

To be even a bit more technical about the matter, NVDA can have add-ons
written to it, so as to get it more sufficed with a given software. Far
as I can understand, NVDA add-ons will have to be written in Python, and
not even the newest version of that language either. For your
comparison, WinEyes had scripting capabilities, that would allow the
developer of add-ons to be written in a long number of programming
languages. It even could combine blocks of coding, from different
languages. This would ensure a couple of things.

First of all, the developer could build his code on a platform familiar
to him. He was not forced to use one particular coding. In effect, you
would have more people available for programming, since you could have
people from all camps.

Secondly, if a developer needed a certain feature, or performance, he
could choose to yuse the programming language, that would give the
smoothest coding. We did see certain add-ons, written partially in
Python, and partially in VBScript. Some developers used AutoHotkey to do
parts of the add-on operation, since it gave the best performance,
lightest code, and widest set of features.

Now, why all that chatter about WinEyes and its scripting capacity?
After all, WinEyes is per definition dropped and gone for good. Well,
just to show you that one screen reader might be the better choice in
certain situations, while another screen reader will have the better
performance in other scenarios. Jaws, for one thing, has long time had a
far better pronunciation Dictionary built-in, than what was the case
with WinEyes. Still, I can openly admit, there are a handful of WinEyes
features -built-in and Add-Ons - that I will greatly miss, as none of
the other screen readers have been able to show up equal features.

Finally, may I take the opportunity to thank the developers of NVDA, for
all their endeavors. NVDA is a great product, that comes in handy quite
often. And as it continues to grow, chances are that it will become far
more full-fledged, as time and development moves on.

On 11/23/2017 8:37 PM, Sky Mundell wrote:
[...]

.

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

This thread has gone on a couple of tangents, but just to pick up on the original poster's issue, with NVDA not starting, you can press NVDA+control+r three times quickly to reset NVDA to factory defaults.  (And still, every time I write that, I really want to add that you have to press those keys while saying "there's no place like home!" but I think you only need to do that in the limited edition "Oz" version of NVDA).

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Angela,

I transitioned from Jaws to NVDA in 2011 and haven't looked back.

Rosemarie

[...]

john s

Rosemarie, I think it is strange that a disability tech couldn't install NVDA. If possible, you might have a sighted person look at the screen while you try the install.

At 08:28 PM 11/23/2017, you wrote:
[...]

I think my sister said she's coming over tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the
problem is with web root anywhere. I can't get rid of it.

[...]

Don't get me wrong please, but did you ever consider checking the net?

First of all, WebRoot has their own homepage:

    webroot.com

. It seems they are located in USA, Ireland and Australia, have a
support line, and even offers you a set of advice and tools for getting
rid of their product.

Secondly, I did a quick search from the net, using the following query:

    How to get rid of webroot

. It sure yielded a few results. Among these, here is an article that
gives you some outlined steps:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/uninstall-webroot-completely-pc-50656.html

Again, please don't take this in a critical manner. My goal was just to
show you, and everyone else, that sometimes when facing a problem,
simple searches on the net might be a good idea.

Once you have located the name of a software, and its manufacturer, you
might want to check if they have a homepage. Often it will be the
company name, with the extension of .com, .org or the like. First you
get to their homepage, chances are they have some info on your matter,
or even a contact address or form.

Just wanted to help. Hope for you to get rid of the stuff, and your
issue solved.

[...]

Lino Morales

David. I brought this very point on the WIN 10 list a few days ago. I'm not sure what this damn thing does anyway. Just glad Rose Marie got it rid of.