From: ely.r@...
Sent: 24 November 2017 21:57
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA will simply not run

Until recently, NVDA was running fine on my Windows 10 desktop. I do not run it at startup but from a desktop shortcut, so the run at startup issue is not the problem. I can run JAWS 18 and Narrator without any issue.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program, and though I would get the “installed successfully” message, it would not run by clicking on the “run now” button on the install program nor from the desktop. I even went to the actual app in the X86 program group, and no luck there.

I just downloaded version 2017. 4 RC 2 and did an install of it after uninstalling the previous version. Again, I received the installed successfully message but again no luck. NVDA does not appear in the running programs group.

Rick

ely.r@...

Thanks for that suggestion. I did, and as I thought, when I tried running NVDA, though nothing happened, the Profiles folder was restored. It is empty.

Rick

Did you try deleting the nvda profile folder in update?

Until recently, NVDA was running fine on my Windows 10 desktop. I do not run it at startup but from a desktop shortcut, so the run at startup issue is not the problem. I can run JAWS 18 and Narrator without any issue.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program, and though I would get the “installed successfully” message, it would not run by clicking on the “run now” button on the install program nor from the desktop. I even went to the actual app in the X86 program group, and no luck there.

I just downloaded version 2017. 4 RC 2 and did an install of it after uninstalling the previous version. Again, I received the installed successfully message but again no luck. NVDA does not appear in the running programs group.

Rick

Quentin Christensen

In the %tmp% folder you should find a couple of "nvda" log files.  Hopefully they will have information we can use.  If you can e-mail me those I'd be happy to have a look.

See https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/LogFilesAndCrashDumps for information about what is in those files and more on how to get to them.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi rick

so are you saying if you click on the shortcut on the desktop nvda does not start up? or if you use the asigned hot keys?

Or is it not creating the folders etc that you see under all apps?

I guess maybe what i would do is use narrator to completely uninstall nvda.

make sure you do have a working copy of nvda some where like the 2017.3 release etc.

Next to make sure nvda is fully gone including the settings do the following.

Press the Windows key + letter R and when the run dialogue comes up type in the following. %appdata% then press the enter key.

locate the nvda folder and delete it.

Now just close that screen use the alt key + f4 key to do this.

some times you may have to reboot the computer or shut it down then restart it I think some of us do this if asked to by the program.

Now reinstall nvda from the 2017.3 file or what ever you used.

If a UAC screen comes up use the alt key + letter y so that nvda gets installed.

have you got another program that could be stopping it like a antivirus? if this is the case if you can disable it to install it then reinable it. Some anti viruses will try to block it and you may need to make a exception for nvda. You should not have to do it though but did have it happen with AVG one time.

Gene nz

On 11/25/2017 10:57 AM, ely.r@... wrote:

Until recently, NVDA was running fine on my Windows 10 desktop. I do not run it at startup but from a desktop shortcut, so the run at startup issue is not the problem. I can run JAWS 18 and Narrator without any issue.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program, and though I would get the “installed successfully” message, it would not run by clicking on the “run now” button on the install program nor from the desktop. I even went to the actual app in the X86 program group, and no luck there.

I just downloaded version 2017. 4 RC 2 and did an install of it after uninstalling the previous version. Again, I received the installed successfully message but again no luck. NVDA does not appear in the running programs group.

Rick

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

So the installer itself if kept running does in fact work? does it use the settings of your installed version?
IE is it like a new install, or taking the voice etc of the old one?
If the latter its probably not the config file, more likely a locked file in the old folder that is not deleted. I've encountered this, however the fact that it did not run as it was, before you started to try to update it might point to some corruption as well
Czech the hard drive for errors. Have you actually had to do a system restore since it worked last time?

If the installer does work then create a portable version, and add a desktop shortcut to that on the desktop and at least then you can use the computer. Then you can play around with things as the settings you had will be in the portable version and you simply create an installed version from it when you have found the nasty culprit!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Until recently, NVDA was running fine on my Windows 10 desktop. I do not run
it at startup but from a desktop shortcut, so the run at startup issue is
not the problem. I can run JAWS 18 and Narrator without any issue.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program, and though I would get the
"installed successfully" message, it would not run by clicking on the "run
now" button on the install program nor from the desktop. I even went to the
actual app in the X86 program group, and no luck there.
I just downloaded version 2017. 4 RC 2 and did an install of it after
uninstalling the previous version. Again, I received the installed
successfully message but again no luck. NVDA does not appear in the running
programs group.

Rick

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

For info I've never had much luck with the crash dump files myself.

[...]

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Hi could I make a suggestion?
The information about reporting issues and troubleshooting them etc, seems to be spread about on the nvaccess site and github site, and unless you take quite a lot of time to find these which can be hard for somebody new and when you have a problem, you might not feel happy about doing it.
Perhaps a step by step problem troubleshooting text could be made complete with detailed info on creating a github account and the urls of the various bits like creating new issues and how to find existing ones, plus the info about log files and crash dumps and a very detailed explanation of how to attach files to issues, as this latter part seems hit and miss to me at the best of times.
This could then be a downloadable file in the same place as you get nvda.

That may also help with getting items reported and flagged up more promptly than happens now, so would help developers to prioritise issues that affect more people. There does seem to be a tendency recently to be critical of nvda but without anyone having actually reported the issue anywhere but here or talked about between users elsewhere.

[...]

Good points, and indeed, something I will be looking for in our new site (still coming ;)).  Re mentioning things here, I do monitor the group, but I don't always catch every post.  I'm quite happy for you to forward anything you really want me to see that I haven't already replied to to me personally or to info@....

Regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 10:18 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
[...]

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@...>

[...]

Adriani Botez

Please have a look at issue #7745 on github.

Best

Adriani

[...]

Quentin,

Frustrating though this may be, I feel like I am learning things. I have attached what I think is the file you need. Resorted to doing a search for it and it seems to contain the kind of information I thought it might. If this is not what you need, let me know. Starting to work with seniors after years of public school TVI teaching. Many of those older students are  not eligible for Federally funded rehabilitation services, and the cost of JAWS will be out of reach for them. Having been a WindowEyes and JAWS user, the move to NVDA has been very easy.

Thanks,

Rick

[...]

This list, as most lists. doesn't accept attachments for security reasons.

Gene----- Original Message -----

[...]

Incidentally I call this the bus stop effect. While waiting in a queue for a bus you find people griping about things the council do or do not do very well when you ask if they have reported it you get, it will do no good...
Well if you say nowt as my old Yorkshire granny used to say, Nowt gets done.

personally or to info@nvaccess.org.

quentin@nvaccess.org>

[...]

True but you don't start a fist fight needing the police at the bus stop.

On the forum this basically goes on till the entire thread is forgotten after that the mods have to move in and bann things and close the thread and then its wasted.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@nvaccess.org>

[...]

How weird in the message I'm replying to even my footer is spoken in German. I obviously need a lie down!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Please have a look at issue #7745 on github.

Best

Adriani

Good points, and indeed, something I will be looking for in our new site (still coming ;)). Re mentioning things here, I do monitor the group, but I don't always catch every post. I'm quite happy for you to forward anything you really want me to see that I haven't already replied to to me personally or to info@nvaccess.org <mailto:info@nvaccess.org> .

Regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 10:18 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io <mailto:bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> > wrote:

[...]

briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> , putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@nvaccess.org <mailto:quentin@nvaccess.org> >

www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org>
Twitter: @NVAccess

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: <http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/> http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

<http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org

Facebook: <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess> http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Note that one cannot attach on this list. I tend to use a dropbox link.
[...]

Sorry I don't get the ref. Must be especially thick this evening. It was meant in a humorous way.
[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Gene NZ,

That's what I had to do the other night when web root anywhere blocked me from installing NVDA 2017.4 RC 2. Luckily I have NVDA 2017.3 in my downloads folder so I was able to use it until I got rid of web root anywhere.

Rosemarie

[...]

Robert Mendoza

Hi, rosemary

You mentioned you failed to installed the RC2 version in your earlier post but, for the version 2017.3 you've got to chance to install it to your machine. Sounds odd, indeed. Kinda confused. Significantly,I don't see conflicts with the updated version to get rid of the Web Root anyway.

Robert Mendoza

[...]

I was using narrator to try to do the install. Then I remembered that I have NVDA 2017.3 in my downloads folder. I hope this makes it more clear.