Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2019 10:39 AM
Subject: [nvda] Accessing alerts on webpages

How does one access alerts on a webpage?  Like the would you like to save this password alert or answer an incoming chat request on a chat help page?

Thanks for any help,

Sarah

John Isige

To be fair, it's not that simple. A lot of times for me, alerts get
interrupted by some other web event, and i only get part of them. So
having a way to access them would be pretty handy. Suppose for example
that a page is loading. An alert pops up, but then the page finishes

On 12/3/2019 10:49, Gene wrote:
What browser are you using?  It is the browser that displays these
kinds of alerts in certain places, whether they originate from the
browser or the web page.  If you let the entire message speak and
don't interrupt it, you should hear choices with commands for them
like allow, alt a don't allow, alt d.  I made up those choices and
letters but I make sure to listen to all speech and pay very close
attention to the choices and commands.
I'm not sure if and how you see these things after they have spoken.
If an unfamiliar message occurs, unless you know it is of no interest,
don't stop it and pay very close attention to see if any choices and
commands are given if the message is that kind of message.
How does one access alerts on a webpage?  Like the would you like to
save this password alert or answer an incoming chat request on a chat
help page?

Thanks for any help,

Sarah

Gene

I'm not sure if you can see them again.  Every now and then, I've looked around but I often haven't found them.  I wonder if they can be heard in speech history.  If speech is interrupted by new speech, I wonder if everything that would have been spoken is in speech history.

On 12/3/2019 10:49, Gene wrote:
> What browser are you using?  It is the browser that displays these
> kinds of alerts in certain places, whether they originate from the
> browser or the web page.  If you let the entire message speak and
> don't interrupt it, you should hear choices with commands for them
> like allow, alt a don't allow, alt d.  I made up those choices and
> letters but I make sure to listen to all speech and pay very close
> attention to the choices and commands.
> I'm not sure if and how you see these things after they have spoken.
> If an unfamiliar message occurs, unless you know it is of no interest,
> don't stop it and pay very close attention to see if any choices and
> commands are given if the message is that kind of message.
> Gene

Jimmy Vonderlinden

alt n sometimes works for me. I use chrome

John Isige

Oh, they're probably still on the screen when they get interrupted,
unless they disappear after a certain amount of time. Some do I imagine,
but I'll bet others don't, e.g. something that's asking if you want
notifications from a site. Also, I have no idea what you mean by "speech
history". So far as I can tell it's not part of standard NVDA anyway.

On 12/3/2019 14:20, Gene wrote:
I'm not sure if you can see them again.  Every now and then, I've
looked around but I often haven't found them.  I wonder if they can be
heard in speech history.  If speech is interrupted by new speech, I
wonder if everything that would have been spoken is in speech history.

How does one access alerts on a webpage?  Like the would you like to
save this password alert or answer an incoming chat request on a chat
help page?

Thanks for any help,

Sarah

Gene

Are you talking about in Internet Explorer?  That is the information bar and doesn't apply to Chrome or Fireffox.  I don't know if it applies to the soon to be replaced Edge.

Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2019 4:11 PM

alt n sometimes works for me. I use chrome

Gene

I haven't used it but it is a part of NVDA.  Others will have to discuss it.

On 12/3/2019 14:20, Gene wrote:
> I'm not sure if you can see them again.  Every now and then, I've
> looked around but I often haven't found them.  I wonder if they can be
> heard in speech history.  If speech is interrupted by new speech, I
> wonder if everything that would have been spoken is in speech history.
> Gene

Jimmy Vonderlinden

Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2019 4:11 PM

alt n sometimes works for me. I use chrome

Gene

You bottom posted so I don't know how many people will see your message.  Here it is:
alt n sometimes works for me. I use chrome Yes it does i use that command all the time
End of message.

Are you saying that if you hear a message such as asking you to accept alerts or some other such message that alt n places you in the message using Chrome?  I've never seen that command discussed outside of Internet Explorer.  If it works, that would be good to know.

Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2019 7:00 PM

Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2019 4:11 PM

alt n sometimes works for me. I use chrome

Jimmy Vonderlinden

yes. Sorry for bottom posting. I am new to this. I hope I was able to help you all with this. NVDA  rocks. I was a Jaws user for years, but now this my only screen reader

John Isige

Huh, really? Maybe it's called something else because it doesn't show up
in the user guide under that name. You're not thinking of the speech
viewer under tools by chance?

On 12/3/2019 18:59, Gene wrote:
I haven't used it but it is a part of NVDA.  Others will have to
discuss it.

How does one access alerts on a webpage?  Like the would you like to
save this password alert or answer an incoming chat request on a chat
help page?

Thanks for any help,

Sarah

Marten Post Uiterweer

Alt-shift-a will jump to these buttons. Jaws will not read the text with
ins-b, but with the touchCursor you can read it.

Marten

On 12/3/2019 18:59, Gene wrote:
I haven't used it but it is a part of NVDA.  Others will have to
discuss it.

How does one access alerts on a webpage?  Like the would you like to
save this password alert or answer an incoming chat request on a chat
help page?

Thanks for any help,

Sarah

Gene

I think the name is speech viewer.

On 12/3/2019 18:59, Gene wrote:
> I haven't used it but it is a part of NVDA.  Others will have to
> discuss it.
> Gene

Luke Davis

This conversation seems to be conflating the speech viewer, and speech history.

The speech viewer is available from the tools menu of NVDA, and shows everything that has been spoken in a constantly updated floating window.

For everyday things, the Speech History add-on is far more useful.
With it, you can go back, one message at a time, through whatever NVDA has spoken, and copy a given message to the clipboard if necessary.

Read more at https://addons.nvda-project.org/./addons/speech_history.en.html

Luke

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019, Gene wrote:

I think the name is speech viewer.

leochick78@...

Sorry for forgetting to include browser info, etc.  I am using Firefox Quantum, Windows 10, NVDA 2019 (first version, I think.)  I have that trouble with the alert being interrupted by the loaded page starting to read so I don't always get the alert commands.  I turned off the alerr to ask if one wants to save the password for sites and that has helped.  Does IE still exist?  Thanks for all the help.

George McCoy

It is, or was, an add-on.  Don't know if it will be brought forward to work with next NVDA version, however.

George

Hi!  Just seeing this now. I noticed you said you use Firefox in a message below. I use Firefox as well and I use this add on to get to the notifications https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/mozillaScripts.en.html here is a excerpt from the link in which  it will help you • NVDA+Control+N Reads the last notification and it takes the system focus to it if it is possible.

How does one access alerts on a webpage?  Like the would you like to save this password alert or answer an incoming chat request on a chat help page?

Thanks for any help,

Sarah

for me, nvda sometimes says only alert!
and does not say the content of notification,
and i thaught that i cant interact with it or activate or accept it.
i use firefox.

On 12/21/19, Luke <bugsyman35@...> wrote:
Hi!  Just seeing this now. I noticed you said you use Firefox in a message
below. I use Firefox as well and I use this add on to get to the
notifications https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/mozillaScripts.en.html
here is a excerpt from the link in which  it will help you • NVDA+Control+N
Reads the last notification and it takes the system focus to it if it is
possible.

How does one access alerts on a webpage?  Like the would you like to save
this password alert or answer an incoming chat request on a chat help page?

Thanks for any help,

Sarah

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Gene

I use Chrome mostly but that happens in Chrome also.  I have no idea if NVDA can solve the problem or if Chrome developers have to solve it.

The information, whatever it is, seems to be unimportant; I can do what I want regardless of not being able to read the alert.