Topics

NVDA 2017.4rc3 released #nvdasr

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

They say the best things come in threes and now NVDA 2017.4rc3 is available for testing! Coincidence? Probably, but in any case, this release fixes performance issues in applications such as MIRC which draw a lot of text to the screen. For the full details of what is new, and to download the new build, head to: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2017-4rc3-released/

Kind regards

Quentin.
#NVDAsr
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

I am interested in the arm support.

Does this mean nvda could run on something like windows 10 s or some arm locked version of windows as well as desktop.

If it could run on arm processers, then if a new windows phone came out with an arm processer I could run it.

If I can run it on a win10 phone and maybe have a nas or other attached network storage, good buy to the laptop.

On 30/11/2017 1:47 p.m., Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi everyone,

They say the best things come in threes and now NVDA 2017.4rc3 is available
for testing! Coincidence? Probably, but in any case, this release fixes
performance issues in applications such as MIRC which draw a lot of text to
the screen. For the full details of what is new, and to download the new
build, head to: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2017-4rc3-released/

Kind regards

Quentin.
#NVDAsr

Also I think this is the first time we have ever gone to rc3 its not often.

How close are we from release, I guess once there are no more bugs.

On 30/11/2017 1:47 p.m., Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi everyone,

They say the best things come in threes and now NVDA 2017.4rc3 is available
for testing! Coincidence? Probably, but in any case, this release fixes
performance issues in applications such as MIRC which draw a lot of text to
the screen. For the full details of what is new, and to download the new
build, head to: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2017-4rc3-released/

Kind regards

Quentin.
#NVDAsr

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Quentin

The same thing happened as last time but i know for a fact the following setting was checked called Automatically start NVDA after I log on to Windows

I just downloaded the RC3 release and this box was unchecked again as mentioned above.

I checked it after downloading it to see just in case. I know the setting was saved to start when windows does.

Come to think of it usually my level is set to debug but it was info..

What could be happening there?

I do not think there would be a log for it but can check.

Same details as before windows 10 Microsoft Windows
Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.64)

with a quad core machine 2 gig of ram and nvda 2017.4 rc3

After the update if i save the settings again it will not do it on the next reboot it works correctly.

Gene nz

Hi everyone,

They say the best things come in threes and now NVDA 2017.4rc3 is available for testing! Coincidence? Probably, but in any case, this release fixes performance issues in applications such as MIRC which draw a lot of text to the screen. For the full details of what is new, and to download the new build, head to: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2017-4rc3-released/

Kind regards

Quentin.
#NVDAsr
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

If you've got the log from the install or when the new version first ran after installing - it will be one of those two times that the setting got changed.  Whether there is an entry for it in the log is another question (possibly depending on your log level).

It is an odd one...

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

Image NVDA
        certified expert

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Does it fix the combo box issues in chrome on google translate and amazons departments?
I don't use Chrome myself, but have seen several messages about this working before but not now on this list.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Mick is crossing everything for Monday I think.
I expect some people will find something odd, but hopefully its minor.
[...]

It could be another issue like mine on restarting after an update sometimes fails with that error and the log is written in the main nvda folder saying the log could not be written to. As I say, its just happened again with one of this mornings updates, so the termination of the temp copy of the installer just locks up during the shut down process locking everything when it tries to restart.

IO - speech.speak (10:34:33.776):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'Success dialog Successfully created a portable copy of NVDA at C:\\nvda extra']
IO - speech.speak (10:34:33.788):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'OK button']
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (10:34:43.382):
Input: kb(desktop):space
IO - speech._speakSpellingGen (10:34:43.395):
Speaking character u'space'
DEBUG - queueHandler.registerGeneratorObject (10:34:43.397):
Adding generator 9
IO - speech.speak (10:34:43.398):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'pressed']
DEBUG - queueHandler.pumpAll (10:34:43.408):
generator 9 finished
DEBUGWARNING - NVDAObjects.IAccessible.IAccessible._get_IAccessibleRole (10:34:43.586):
accRole failed: (-2147024809, 'The parameter is incorrect.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
IO - speech.speak (10:34:43.627):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'Creating Portable Copy dialog Please wait while a portable copy of NVDA is created.']
IO - speech.speak (10:34:43.631):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'Creating Portable Copy']
DEBUGWARNING - NVDAObjects.IAccessible.IAccessible._get_IAccessibleRole (10:34:43.710):
accRole failed: (-2147024809, 'The parameter is incorrect.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
IO - speech.speak (10:34:43.755):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'Downloads - Mozilla Firefox']
IO - speech.speak (10:34:43.789):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'Downloads']
IO - speech.speak (10:34:43.790):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'list']
IO - speech.speak (10:34:43.805):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'nvda_snapshot_next-14675,14728b95.exe 21.3 MB \u2014 windows.net \u2014 10:33 Open Containing Folder 1 of 1']

zap its gorn and never seen again!

hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

[image: Image NVDA certified expert]
material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you
are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy
of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which
locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.
aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's
Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit
the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification
page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around
the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Or even this one.
IO - tones.beep (10:45:11.766):
Beep at pitch 1760, for 40 ms, left volume 50, right volume 50
IO - speech.speak (10:45:11.825):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'Success dialog Successfully created a portable copy of NVDA at C:\\nvda release candidate']
IO - speech.speak (10:45:11.836):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'OK button']
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (10:45:17.711):
Input: kb(desktop):space
IO - speech._speakSpellingGen (10:45:17.727):
Speaking character u'space'
DEBUG - queueHandler.registerGeneratorObject (10:45:17.727):
Adding generator 11
IO - speech.speak (10:45:17.729):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'pressed']
DEBUG - queueHandler.pumpAll (10:45:17.743):
generator 11 finished
DEBUGWARNING - NVDAObjects.IAccessible.IAccessible._get_IAccessibleRole (10:45:17.930):
accRole failed: (-2147024809, 'The parameter is incorrect.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
IO - speech.speak (10:45:17.973):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'Creating Portable Copy dialog Please wait while a portable copy of NVDA is created.']
IO - speech.speak (10:45:17.976):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'Creating Portable Copy']
DEBUGWARNING - NVDAObjects.IAccessible.IAccessible._get_IAccessibleRole (10:45:18.059):
accRole failed: (-2147024809, 'The parameter is incorrect.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
IO - speech.speak (10:45:18.101):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'Downloads - Mozilla Firefox']
IO - speech.speak (10:45:18.134):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'Downloads']
IO - speech.speak (10:45:18.135):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'list']
IO - speech.speak (10:45:18.150):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'nvda_snapshot_rc-14672,338fb3ef.exe 21.3 MB \u2014 windows.net \u2014 10:44 Open Containing Folder 1 of 2']

Off it goes into the error never to be heard from again.

hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

Rui Fontes

It is not the first time...

If I am not mistaken, once it have gone untill RC4...

Rui

Às 01:53 de 30/11/2017, Shaun Everiss escreveu:

Also I think this is the first time we have ever gone to rc3 its not often.

How close are we from release, I guess once there are no more bugs.

On 30/11/2017 1:47 p.m., Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi everyone,

They say the best things come in threes and now NVDA 2017.4rc3 is available
for testing! Coincidence? Probably, but in any case, this release fixes
performance issues in applications such as MIRC which draw a lot of text to
the screen. For the full details of what is new, and to download the new
build, head to: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2017-4rc3-released/

Kind regards

Quentin.
#NVDAsr

.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

And there was one time when the release itself needed an update to version xxxx.x.x as well.

[...]

Howard Traxler

And what is rc3? never saw this before.

[...]

Antony Stone

If you mean "what does rc3 stand for?" the answer is "release candidate number
3" - in other words, it's a version which is a candidate for the final release
version, provided no problems are found with it. There were obviously two
previous versions (rc1 and rc2) which did have problems, so they got fixed and
another candidate released.

Antony

On Thursday 30 November 2017 at 19:48:00, Howard Traxler wrote:

[...]

Atheism is a non-prophet-making organisation.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Kevin Huber

Hi:

So what is the difference between a release candidate and a public betqa?
Kevin Huber

On 11/30/17, Howard Traxler <howard@...> wrote:
[...]

NVDA has several groups of pre-release versions, all publicly available here: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/snapshots/

"Next" builds are "alpha" quality - new code gets added to these, which may or may not work and may or may not ever make it to a stable version.

"Master" are "Beta" quality - once something has been in Next for a couple of weeks and hasn't caused any issues, and it is felt it should be considered for the next stable release of NVDA, then it goes into Master.

"Release Candidate" or "RC" builds and the final versions before the next stable release.  Essentially, once we release an RC build, if we don't find any major issues with it, then the stable version will be released a week or so later, which will be identical to that RC build, except for dropping the "rc" part from the version number.  If we do find an issue, then we'll fix it one way or another  and release a new RC build to ensure that everything is working.

That snapshots page is always available and updated daily as new builds are compiled (new Next builds might come out one or even several times a day, Master usually every few days, and RC builds only just before a new stable release is due - every three months).  So essentially they are all public betas, it's just that we publicise the RC builds more, to get more people to try them to hopefully pick up any big issues before the final version.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Bhavya shah

Hi Brian,
Did someone already report issues with combo boxes on the web now? I
am particularly busy at the moment, so I cannot perform any amount of
comprehensive testing to determine the extent of this bug and to
verify whether or not it is a regression, but what I have been very
noticeably observing with NVDA 2017.4 RCs is that certain combo boxes
just cannot be opened. What I mean by this is that when I press Enter
on such a combo box, NVDA announces that it has expanded, but when I
arrow around, I continue traversing the document in browse mode and
the combo box is reported to have collapsed simultaneously. Alt+down
arrow or object navigation also fails in helping me reach the items of
such a combo box.
Unfortunately, I cannot recall which browser I was using while facing
this issue on more than one website.
Thanks.

[...]

Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750

Howard Traxler

Thanks Antony, now I'll know. I assume that the real thing will say final release or something like that.

Howard

[...]

hi bhavya.
i have problems with some combo boxes using firefox.
i also have problem with one website that has submenu and cant open it.
how should i open items which are submenu using firefox?
God bless you!

On 12/1/17, Howard Traxler <howard@...> wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Hi.
I personally find problems with combo boxes on chrome.
The best way to focus on the combo box with chrome is to go to the button or link next to it and press shift+tab to focus it. Or if you go to the previous element you just press tab to get focus to it.
But for some combo boxes which activate the item as soon as you arrow to it it is difficult to use.
An example is the forum on www.audiogames.net website.
The combobox to choose forum category is difficult with chrome. With firefox as far as I know it works well.
Nikos

On 1 December 2017 at 08:56, zahra <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
hi bhavya.
i have problems with some combo boxes using firefox.
i also have problem with one website that has submenu and cant open it.
how should i open items which are submenu using firefox?
God bless you!

On 12/1/17, Howard Traxler <howard@...> wrote:
> Thanks Antony, now I'll know.  I assume that the real thing will say final
> release or something like that.
>
> Howard

I got notification on the skype group from joseph but yeah, its soon.

I do hope that nvda latest really does actually work as expected.

I am interested about arm processer detection.

as well as 64 bit cpus, is this part of the transition to 64 bit and does this mean we can run this thing on windows arm tablets?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shaun Everiss" <@smeveriss>