Topics

NVDA sometimes loses control and needs to be restarted

Vincent Le Goff <vincent.legoff.srs@...>

Hi everyone,

This has been happening for some time, on so many computers and with so many different NVDA versions I can't believe I would be the only one to see this, and it's not a huge inconvenience, but it's strange and might be worth looking into.  Regardless of the activity sometimes NVDA "loses control".  The key hooks (the NVDA key and all the shortcuts associated with it) stop working.  Using the numeric keypad works as would without NVDA.  Pressing Caplocks, which is a NVDA key for me, triggers the CapLock function.  NVDA still works somewhat and tries to report information, but one can't open the NVDA menu, read the time, look at the window title or indeed do lots of things controlled directly by NVDA.

When does it happen?  I've tried to reproduce the issue and it's tricky.  It never seems to happen at a given time or in any given application.  All I know is that it seems to "lose control" when a lot of memory is required by other applications, which creates some kind of lag.  So this happens in a browser when the site has a lot of scripts for instance.  This can happen in Word if the document is long.  This can happen while the Windows CLI is opened and a "demanding" task is running.  This can happen when lots of update information is sent to NVDA (the message queue gets long). It happens more frequently if the machine on which NVDA runs doesn't have a lot of memory.  It sounds like a Windows lock, not NVDA's fault, but is there a workaround?  Restarting NVDA and the delay it causes isn't really annoying, but it's definitely strange.

Most important question though: has anyone noticed this problem? Or am I the only lucky one?  Does happen!

Thanks,

Vincent

Lisa P Geibel

Hi Vincent and others,

SMILE I hate to break your heart, but you're not the only person this happens to. I was very glad to see your message and know that I'm not the only one it happens to. It is a fairly easy fix as you said, but can get to be a bother and you're right, it does seem to happen when I'm trying to do multiple things, but it can also happen when I'm just in the middle of an email. My husband thought it could be TWBlue instead of NVDA as that program does take a lot of resources, but I unloaded TWBlue and was still having problems, so I'm thinking as I first thought that it's something with NVDA and hopefully it will get fixed in the next update.

Lisa P. Geibel
For Mine and Marcus's Christian and Messianic audio show, call 631-403-1002 and press 9997 for that show.
For Marcus's Big Brother breaking news and shows, call the same number above, but press 9998 for that show.
For either show, once you're in, press 1, then 0
If you want to hear previous shows, after dialing the above phone number and choosing which show you want, press 2.
We'd love to hear from anyone about these shows and thank you for listening.
email:
lisapgeibel429@...
Twitter:
LisaLisa429
Facebook:
m.facebook.com/ldporter1
May YHWH bless you all

On 12/10/2019 5:55 AM, Vincent Le Goff wrote:
[...]

Gene

Are those having the problem using Windows 10?  I've never had it happen in Windows 7 or XP.

Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 5:11 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA sometimes loses control and needs to be restarted

> [...]

> tricky.  It never seems to happen at a given time or in any given
> application.  All I know is that it seems to "lose control" when a lot
> of memory is required by other applications, which creates some kind
> of lag.  So this happens in a browser when the site has a lot of
> scripts for instance.  This can happen in Word if the document is
> long.  This can happen while the Windows CLI is opened and a
> "demanding" task is running.  This can happen when lots of update
> information is sent to NVDA (the message queue gets long). It happens
> more frequently if the machine on which NVDA runs doesn't have a lot
> of memory.  It sounds like a Windows lock, not NVDA's fault, but is
> there a workaround?  Restarting NVDA and the delay it causes isn't
> really annoying, but it's definitely strange.
>

> Most important question though: has anyone noticed this problem? Or am

Lisa P Geibel

Hi Gene,

As for me, yes, I'm using Windows 10 build 1909 and the latest stable release of NVDA.

lisapgeibel429@... <mailto:lisapgeibel429@...>
[...]

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello,

I encounter this problem using Word, the slack application and sometimes thunderbird.

I am testing the NVDA 2019.1 beta 1 version and could not encounter this problme so often for now.

But I need to test a bit longer in order to find out if it occurs.

Other thing: in the NVDA beta I have no add-on enabled.

I am also using Windows 10.

Best

Sylvie

Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 5:11 AM

> [...]

> tricky.  It never seems to happen at a given time or in any given
> application.  All I know is that it seems to "lose control" when a lot
> of memory is required by other applications, which creates some kind
> of lag.  So this happens in a browser when the site has a lot of
> scripts for instance.  This can happen in Word if the document is
> long.  This can happen while the Windows CLI is opened and a
> "demanding" task is running.  This can happen when lots of update
> information is sent to NVDA (the message queue gets long). It happens
> more frequently if the machine on which NVDA runs doesn't have a lot
> of memory.  It sounds like a Windows lock, not NVDA's fault, but is
> there a workaround?  Restarting NVDA and the delay it causes isn't
> really annoying, but it's definitely strange.
>

> Most important question though: has anyone noticed this problem? Or am

Nicolai Svendsen

Hi,

It's pretty rare in my case. Next time it happens to me, I'll grab the old NVDA log after it restarts and possibly attach it to the issue tracker.

Nicolai

Den tir. 10. dec. 2019 kl. 13.02 skrev Lisa P Geibel <lisapgeibel429@...>:

Hi Gene,

As for me, yes, I'm using Windows 10 build 1909 and the latest stable
release of NVDA.

Lisa P. Geibel
For Mine and Marcus's Christian and Messianic audio show, call 631-403-1002 and press 9997 for that show.
For Marcus's Big Brother breaking news and shows, call the same number above, but press 9998 for that show.
For either show, once you're in, press 1, then 0
If you want to hear previous shows, after dialing the above phone number and choosing which show you want, press 2.
We'd love to hear from anyone about these shows and thank you for listening.
email:
  lisapgeibel429@...
Twitter:
LisaLisa429
Facebook:
m.facebook.com/ldporter1
May YHWH bless you all

On 12/10/2019 6:38 AM, Gene wrote:
> Are those having the problem using Windows 10?  I've never had it
> happen in Windows 7 or XP.
> Gene

Lisa P Geibel

Hello,

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that when it happens to me I'm either using Thunderbird, Seamonkey or Firefox. It happens more with Seamonkey than others though and there are no add ons running or installed on this computer, which is a Lenovo.

On 12/10/2019 7:06 AM, Sylvie Duchateau wrote:

[...]

NVDA losing focus has been happening to me, too, and I use Windows 10
with Firefox for browser.
It's not a big deal and regain focus by alt+tab.
But it's a nusence.
Hopefully it will be fixed.

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified Braille Proofreader

Lisa P Geibel

I wish we could just alt tab to fix it, but it's like when it happens, we can't do anything but unload it and reload it.

On 12/10/2019 7:32 AM, Nevzat Adil wrote:
[...]

Christo Vorster <christo.vorster.klavierstem@...>

Hi

I often experience this using Outlook 2016. ALT Tab helps but it is truly a nuisance.

Regards

Christo Vorster (South Africa)

Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 5:11 AM

> [...]

> tricky.  It never seems to happen at a given time or in any given
> application.  All I know is that it seems to "lose control" when a lot
> of memory is required by other applications, which creates some kind
> of lag.  So this happens in a browser when the site has a lot of
> scripts for instance.  This can happen in Word if the document is
> long.  This can happen while the Windows CLI is opened and a
> "demanding" task is running.  This can happen when lots of update
> information is sent to NVDA (the message queue gets long). It happens
> more frequently if the machine on which NVDA runs doesn't have a lot
> of memory.  It sounds like a Windows lock, not NVDA's fault, but is
> there a workaround?  Restarting NVDA and the delay it causes isn't
> really annoying, but it's definitely strange.
>

> Most important question though: has anyone noticed this problem? Or am

molly the blind tech lover

Hi ☺ This occasionally happens to me as well. It's as if the keyboard stops responding. When this occurs I use the touchscreen to reboot the machine and the problem goes away.

[...]

Pascal Lambert

Ditto.
Using Win10 1909 and latest NVDA version.
Blessings
Pascal

[...]

I believe I recall this being discussed awhile ago and I think it has something to do with ways that Windows 10 communicates with NVDA.  Of course, others will be able to discuss this with much more knowledge.

Gene
As for me, yes, I'm using Windows 10 build 1909 and the latest stable
release of NVDA.

Lisa P. Geibel
For Mine and Marcus's Christian and Messianic audio show, call 631-403-1002 and press 9997 for that show.
For Marcus's Big Brother breaking news and shows, call the same number above, but press 9998 for that show.
For either show, once you're in, press 1, then 0
If you want to hear previous shows, after dialing the above phone number and choosing which show you want, press 2.
We'd love to hear from anyone about these shows and thank you for listening.
email:
  lisapgeibel429@...
Twitter:
LisaLisa429
Facebook:
m.facebook.com/ldporter1
May YHWH bless you all

On 12/10/2019 6:38 AM, Gene wrote:
> Are those having the problem using Windows 10?  I've never had it
> happen in Windows 7 or XP.
> Gene

Gene

That may not be the same problem, since evidently, others can unload NVDA and load it again.  I suspect that your keyboard may stop responding.

My one experience with one computer where this happens can't be generalized, but I have one desktop where the keyboard stops communicating with the machine sometimes.  I can unplug and reconnect the keyboard and that usually corrects the problem.  Your machine is evidently a laptop so you can't do that, of course.

I don't use Windows 10 so I won't describe the procedure, but you might find it easier and faster to set the on/off button to reboot when you press it for a moment and release it, if there is such an option.

Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 6:51 AM

[...]

Jimmy Vonderlinden

I only experience this when playing alter aeon with the Mush Z client, especially when there is lots of text to be read at once. Using win 10 with the one core voices

Luke Davis

You're not the only one to ever see it. I have had it happen many times, though not even as predictably as yours, and primarily in Firefox.
I have always, without fail, been in a hurry, and been unable to take the time to save a debug log to try to track the problem down later.

Luke

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019, Vincent Le Goff wrote:

[...]

This is not the same as NVDA losing focus, and being fixed with an alt+tab. That is an entirely different problem.

This is NVDA losing the ability to recognize all gestures.
For example, if you are in firefox, an "h" will not take you to the next heading. If you press NVDA+Q to quit NVDA, it will not happen. If you press NVDA+N to open the NVDA menu, it will not open.

Alt+tab will still have its normal Windows application switching effect, but that is not reliant on NVDA, and it doesn't fix anything.

The most reasonable way to fix this problem, is to press the NVDA launch shortcut (usually Control+Alt+N), to restart NVDA.

Gene asked:

Are those having the problem using Windows 10?  I've never had it happen in Windows 7 or XP.
Yes, I have only experienced this in Windows 10 that I can recall. Many versions of Windows 10 however, and versions of NVDA going back at least as far as 2019.1 beta, and possibly earlier.

Luke

molly the blind tech lover

Yep mine’s a laptop.

The same thing happens on my tablet, but on that device I can just disconnect the keyboard, which fixes the issue.

Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 6:51 AM

[...]

Luke's summary is accurate.  I was about to point out that this is not a "lose focus problem", but a "lose control problem" as I put it.  Indeed, all the key gestures that should trigger NVDA responses are ignored or handled by the system directly, as they would if NVDA weren't running at all.  Reading the previous posts, it seems that my first assertion wasn't too far from the mark: NVDA sometimes "does it" when resources get limited on the system (especially memory), that is when something takes a long time or resource to complete.  This doesn't sound like a NVDA issue, rather like a Microsoft issue placing conditions on hooks, but that's just a guess.

Yes, I do use Windows 10.  Sorry for not adding this directly in my first message, I didn't think it was relevant.  I'm using NVDA 2019.2.1 at the time, not testing the beta just yet, though it's definitely in my to-do-list.

Vincent

On 12/10/2019 4:33 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
[...]

Sarah k Alawami

I've seen this before. Even narrator loses the narrator key when tha thappens. Saw it with 1903 and 1909 just recently. I had a memmory leak and. a program had crashed and nvda and narrator lost control of their keys. It was odd. Another time I think it just happened out of the blue. I could not get a log because of corse, the nvda key was not working.

to subscribe to the feed click here