Add-on for marked-up texts

Cordelia Scharpf

Hi,

I am a writer collaborating with sighted peers who use marked-up (i.e.,
color-coded) functions within MS Word to document and highlight text being
changed or commented on. Is there an add-on for NVDA that lets me hear
and//or read on a Braille display such changes? This is very important as I
am being asked to also review and comment on my peers' work.

Cordelia

I do need this function as well.

Cordelia Scharpf 於 21/12/2019 18:04 寫道:

Hi,

I am a writer collaborating with sighted peers who use marked-up (i.e.,
color-coded) functions within MS Word to document and highlight text being
changed or commented on. Is there an add-on for NVDA that lets me hear
and//or read on a Braille display such changes? This is very important as I
am being asked to also review and comment on my peers' work.

Cordelia

I don't know if the function did exist, but there was an MS-Word add-on that was recently removed from the add-ons page due to lack of ongoing maintenance and incompatibility with upcoming releases of NVDA:

Important community add-ons website update: Word add-on declared end of life, removed from add-ons website

I have said it before, and I'll say it again, it's one thing to remove these things from the "active and maintained" page, but there should be a corresponding "obsolete archived" page they could be kept on.  There are lots of folks who are using older versions of NVDA or might just use an older version with an older add-on for task specific activities.  It's not "rocket science" to know that things on an "obsolete and archived" page will not work with current releases, and it's easy enough when moving stuff to such to note something like, "works with NVDA versions up to {insert last version number it works with here}."  There is no active support for such add-ons or problems with them, either.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Luke Davis

Brian

That add-on was old. Very old. As in 2014 levels of old.

Its functionality had been long since absorbed into NVDA.

It is very hard to think of a reason to have preserved it.

Luke

--
Luke Davis

On Sat, Dec 21, 2019 at 12:29 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
It is very hard to think of a reason to have preserved it.
Not for me, it isn't.   There have been plenty of examples here of individuals using much older versions of NVDA for a variety of reasons.  It takes no effort whatsoever to move something that already exists to an archive from which those who might need it can get it.

And that applies to many, many things, not just NVDA add-ons.  I've had many occasions where having access to the obsolete was very, very useful.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Cordelia Scharpf

Thank you all for answering  my question and discussing the pros and cons of (not) keeping old(er) versions of such add-ons. I had hoped to learn whether such an add-on was available  for NVDA (2019.2.1 or later) to facilitate working as a writer-cum-copyeditor.

The question now is whether such an add-on would be useful for many of us or just for a very select few. What workaround might we have, or does anybody know of a good way working with NVDA to accomplish the tasks at hand?

Besst,

Cordelia

On Sat, Dec 21, 2019 at 12:29 PM, Luke Davis wrote:

It is very hard to think of a reason to have preserved it.

Not for me, it isn't.   There have been plenty of examples here of individuals using much older versions of NVDA for a variety of reasons.  It takes no effort whatsoever to move something that already exists to an archive from which those who might need it can get it.

And that applies to many, many things, not just NVDA add-ons.  I've had many occasions where having access to the obsolete was very, very useful.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Cordelia,

          Luke has said the functionality of the add-on referred to has been absorbed into NVDA itself.  While I certainly have never used it, someone must have and probably still is actively using it.

          This isn't to argue, but if the functionality is now included in NVDA itself then the discussion should shift to how it's used, as an add-on would no longer be relevant.

           Someone else who's actually doing what you're seeking to do will have to jump in at this point.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)