Topics

info difference depending on manner of navigation

Giles Turnbull

Hi all,

this is just a curiosity question ... I was looking at a website called People Per Hour, a site for freelance jobs. I've only just joined and was investigating the various links on one of the pages.

I don't know what you will find if you're not a member, but this is the page I was on:
https://www.peopleperhour.com/freelance-jobs/writing/creative-writing/poetic-content-2493637

Down at the bottom of the page are links to the People Per Hour social media profiles. There are Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.

What I noticed the first time, navigating down the page with the down cursor arrow, is that NVDA just says "link", "link", "link" and "link". The second time I navigated that part of the page I used the k shortcut key and when I navigate that way I hear "link Facebook", "link Twitter", "link LinkedIn" and "link Instagram".

Why does NVDA describe the link when using the k shortcut when it doesn't when navigating line by line with the up and down cursor keys or doing read all? I wasn't aware of any mechanism like ALT tags for graphics for adding extra info to links that aren't graphical.

Giles

Sascha Cowley

Hi Giles,

This is usually because the link is described via the `title` attribute, which?? is advantageous in that it often results in a tooltip appearing with the `title` when the link is hovered or focused.

As for why NVDA behaves like this, I'm not sure; though I have observed this behaviour too. I'd conjecture that it has something to do with the focus state of the link activating the tooltip or not, except that I don't think the announcement of the `title` is affected by the announcement of tooltips setting.

On 30/12/2019 04:07, Giles Turnbull wrote:
[...]

Jonathan COHN

This is hard to guess without seeing the actual HTML on the web page. I have seen some social links like this that are a i frame with just a link in them  and have found those to speak strangely though I don’t remember which screen I was using at the time. You might be able to find out some information with object navigation. I would try using the “k” command to move to the link and then hit insert-numpad up to move to the containing object and see what it says.

Jonathan C. Cohn

External email alert: Be wary of links & attachments.

[...]

Hi Jonathan,

using object navigation produced exactly the same result as using the cursor keys ... NVDA said "link" but nothing about what it is a link to. Only using the k shortcut keystroke added the information like Facebook and Twitter.

Giles

Jonathan COHN

I looked at these links. In Chrome, NVDA was reading them correctly for me. In Firefox, I saw the behavior you described.

Looking at the  HTML rather than putting text into the <a> element, the designer used title to label the links. SO, my guess is that when focus is placed on the links with either k or tab, they are spoken but not when using the browse mode. I don’t know if this is a Firefox or NVDA bug.

Jonathan