locked NVDA remote

Mark <marktyler2014@...>

Hi sorry re posting this only did not change the subject line

There are talk that when pithen `3 comes out nvda remote will not work any more how true is this please

Only think NVDA remote is a god send

Mark.

And, again, talk, to, the! Developers! Of! The! Add, on! This list only provided a temporary patch. so, again, talk! To! The! Developers! Of! The! Add! on! As of now, there have been no announcements or anything from the developers regarding Python 3 compatibility . I dunno how to say this any clearer. As of now, no. Assume it will not work. But start emailing, the, developers. The developers! The developers, the developers! It won't work until further notice.

DJ

Robert, that was so very mature. Can we be any more rude?

On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 5:40 PM Robert Kingett <kingettr@...> wrote:

And, again, talk, to, the! Developers! Of! The! Add, on! This list only provided a temporary patch. so, again, talk! To! The! Developers! Of! The! Add! on! As of now, there have been no announcements or anything from the developers regarding Python 3 compatibility . I dunno how to say this any clearer. As of now, no. Assume it will not work. But start emailing, the, developers. The developers! The developers, the developers! It won't work until further notice.

Hareth <hareth4m@...>

Robert!
If you were trying to shout your voice loud. You've failed big-time.
Cool off man! Its a brand new year.

On 12/29/19, Robert Kingett <kingettr@gmail.com> wrote:
And, again, talk, to, the! Developers! Of! The! Add, on! This list only
provided a temporary patch. so, again, talk! To! The! Developers! Of! The!
Add! on! As of now, there have been no announcements or anything from the
developers regarding Python 3 compatibility . I dunno how to say this any
clearer. As of now, no. Assume it will not work. But start emailing, the,
developers. The developers! The developers, the developers! It won't work
until further notice.

Sarah k Alawami

Agreed, and who is to say that we have not contacted the developers. If we got no response, one can asume that the add on will not work for now anyways. If one did contact the dev what did they say if anything? I really do think this should be a part of the core of NVDa as it is very useful.

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 12/29/19, Robert Kingett kingettr@... wrote:

And, again, talk, to, the! Developers! Of! The! Add, on! This list only
provided a temporary patch. so, again, talk! To! The! Developers! Of! The!
Add! on! As of now, there have been no announcements or anything from the
developers regarding Python 3 compatibility . I dunno how to say this any
clearer. As of now, no. Assume it will not work. But start emailing, the,
developers. The developers! The developers, the developers! It won't work
until further notice.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Yes, chill out.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

If you were trying to shout your voice loud. You've failed big-time.

Cool off man! Its a brand new year.

On 12/29/19, Robert Kingett <kingettr@...> wrote:

> And, again, talk, to, the! Developers! Of! The! Add, on! This list only

> provided a temporary patch. so, again, talk! To! The! Developers! Of! The!

> Add! on! As of now, there have been no announcements or anything from the

> developers regarding Python 3 compatibility . I dunno how to say this any

> clearer. As of now, no. Assume it will not work. But start emailing, the,

> developers. The developers! The developers, the developers! It won't work

> until further notice.

g melconian <gmelconian619@...>

Haryth happy new year.also happy new year to our of the wall family.

Mark <marktyler2014@...>

Well I will not be asking a question on here again

Just damb rood

Mark.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

If you were trying to shout your voice loud. You've failed big-time.

Cool off man! Its a brand new year.

On 12/29/19, Robert Kingett <kingettr@...> wrote:

> And, again, talk, to, the! Developers! Of! The! Add, on! This list only

> provided a temporary patch. so, again, talk! To! The! Developers! Of! The!

> Add! on! As of now, there have been no announcements or anything from the

> developers regarding Python 3 compatibility . I dunno how to say this any

> clearer. As of now, no. Assume it will not work. But start emailing, the,

> developers. The developers! The developers, the developers! It won't work

> until further notice.

Hareth <hareth4m@...>

Mark,
Please don't let any people's online behavior stops your posting.
Unfortunately some got it in their heads that they own the whole internet.
and can be as rude as they wish whenever feel like it.
Fortunately we have PC's and connection as well, and can respond to
rudeness if required.
I feel sorry for them, if they didn't even feel the new year just been started.
Happy new year to all.

On 1/1/20, Mark via Groups.Io <marktyler2014=virginmedia.com@groups.io> wrote:
Well I will not be asking a question on here again
Just damb rood
Mark.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

If you were trying to shout your voice loud. You've failed big-time.
Cool off man! Its a brand new year.
On 12/29/19, Robert Kingett <kingettr@gmail.com> wrote:
And, again, talk, to, the! Developers! Of! The! Add, on! This list only
provided a temporary patch. so, again, talk! To! The! Developers! Of!
The!
Add! on! As of now, there have been no announcements or anything from the
developers regarding Python 3 compatibility . I dunno how to say this any
clearer. As of now, no. Assume it will not work. But start emailing, the,
developers. The developers! The developers, the developers! It won't work
until further notice.

molly the blind tech lover

Happy new year to all. 😀

Here's to hoping all the add-ons will be compatible.
God bless
Molly

If you were trying to shout your voice loud. You've failed big-time.
Cool off man! Its a brand new year.
On 12/29/19, Robert Kingett <kingettr@gmail.com> wrote:
And, again, talk, to, the! Developers! Of! The! Add, on! This list
only provided a temporary patch. so, again, talk! To! The! Developers! Of!
The!
Add! on! As of now, there have been no announcements or anything from
the developers regarding Python 3 compatibility . I dunno how to say
this any clearer. As of now, no. Assume it will not work. But start
emailing, the, developers. The developers! The developers, the
developers! It won't work until further notice.

Regardless of how indelicately Mr. Kingett may have been, he is correct.  When there are issues with add-ons it is the add-on developers who must fix them.  And this doesn't apply only to NVDA add-ons, either.  Whoever created or is maintaining a given piece of code is the person/entity that should be contacted when there are issues with it.

If an add-on has been abandoned, and by all appearances this one has by its original developers, there should be a procedure whereby it can either be picked up by others or integrated into NVDA itself.

But until or unless someone else does pick it up, or it's slated to be integrated into core NVDA functionality, it's the original developers who are responsible for its maintenance.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

By the way, the main page for the NVDA Remote Add-on clearly indicates it is open-source, meaning the source code is available for anyone who is capable to pick up and update.  That's the whole idea behind the open-source movement.

Its Source Code page states: "The NVDA Remote Access add-on is fully free and open source. You can download the source code, make modifications to it, and submit pull requests to have your modifications considered for inclusion in the add-on itself. You are also free to fork the add-on for your own use. The source code is available at https://github.com/NVDARemote/NVDARemote"

If push came to shove the project could be forked to a new one using the existing code base.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Hareth <hareth4m@...>

Brian,
Being correct or not, never justifies being rude to each other.
No matter how we try to re phrase it.
TC

Regardless of how indelicately Mr. Kingett may have been, he is correct.
When there are issues with add-ons it is the add-on developers who must fix
them.  And this doesn't apply only to NVDA add-ons, either.  Whoever created
or is maintaining a given piece of code is the person/entity that should be
contacted when there are issues with it.

If an add-on has been abandoned, and by all appearances this one has by its
original developers, there should be a procedure whereby it can either be
picked up by others or integrated into NVDA itself.

But until or unless someone else does pick it up, or it's slated to be
integrated into core NVDA functionality, it's the original developers who
are responsible for its maintenance.

Most of the change we think we see in life is due to truths being in and out
of favor.

On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 12:29 PM, Hareth wrote:
Being correct or not, never justifies being rude to each other
It certainly doesn't.  Physician, heal thyself.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Rosemarie Chavarria

I agree. There’s no excuse for rudeness whether a person is correct or not.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Being correct or not, never justifies being rude to each other.

No matter how we try to re phrase it.

TC

> Regardless of how indelicately Mr. Kingett may have been, he is correct.

> When there are issues with add-ons it is the add-on developers who must fix

> them.  And this doesn't apply only to NVDA add-ons, either.  Whoever created

> or is maintaining a given piece of code is the person/entity that should be

> contacted when there are issues with it.

> If an add-on has been abandoned, and by all appearances this one has by its

> original developers, there should be a procedure whereby it can either be

> picked up by others or integrated into NVDA itself.

> But until or unless someone else does pick it up, or it's slated to be

> integrated into core NVDA functionality, it's the original developers who

> are responsible for its maintenance.

> --

> Brian *-* Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

> Most of the change we think we see in life is due to truths being in and out

> of favor.

> ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

OK, it's time to refer people back to the group rules:
---------------
Respectful, even if slightly heated, disagreements will occur occasionally and will be tolerated provided what is described next does not occur.  Flaming, name calling, instigating arguments for their own sake that do nothing to advance anyone’s knowledge, pointed rudeness, and similar boorish behavior will not be tolerated.  If at any point one of you happens upon a message anywhere in the NVDA Group sphere, main or chat, that fits the preceding description then please report it to the group owner either via e-mail at, nvda+owner@nvda.groups.io, or, if you read via the web interface at https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topics, then use the Report this message option that’s a part of the More button at the end of each message.  Please don’t add a protest message the topic.  If we receive a report and agree with it, the issue will be taken care of promptly.
-----------------

The reason for that being included is that topics that become about someone being rude and circling around that do nothing to advance group goals and, to be perfectly frank, are tiresome.  This is all the more so when someone has become frustrated about the same topic, and NVDA Remote and its possible demise is one of them, keeps coming up again and again and the answer does not really change, and it hasn't in this case.

Every once in a while someone will be rude.  It happens.  Etiquette lectures are not on-topic for this group.

If you think an offense is serious enough to warrant intervention, then please report it.  Reporting it does not necessarily mean that the group owner nor myself will agree, but there will be times we do, and will address the issue, most likely via private message.  If it's run of the mill vituperation, which occurs between adults, then please just let it go or take it up via private message, not on the group.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Arlene

Hi Mark, Yes, I agree with that poster who said don’t be afraid to ask questions on list.  I myself have said things out of line on here witch I shouldn’t have said.  Whoever was rude might be going through issues of his or her own.  That gives no reason to write rude posts.  I know we all have disagreements on here. If we are going to post them. We all should be careful what we post.  I have to do the same thing.  In any event. Let’s have a happy Janury 1 and the rest of the year helping each other and be cheerful.

On 1/1/20, Mark via Groups.Io <marktyler2014@...> wrote:

> Well I will not be asking a question on here again

> Just damb rood

> Mark.

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hello NVDA community,
Like many of you, it pains me to see no short-term solution in sight for NVDA Remote, an add-on that is crucial to many. Let me take a moment to address a few things that has arisen about this add-on and the subsequent discussion:
1. Is Remote add-on supported in NVDA 2019.3: The short answer is "no". For practical purposes, it won't work. The "real" answer is that it'll take a while for add-on source code to be refactored - not only to work with Python 3, but because it patches NVDA in a way that makes it hard to write workarounds. If NVDA 2019.3 only came with Python 3 code, it would have been easier to write a short workaround and publish it to the community (I would have asked permission from add-on authors to release a patch). However, NVDA 2019.3 is more than just a Python 3 release - it includes a host of changes, some of which are backwards incompatible to a point where several add-ons in addition to Remote are affected (mostly dealing with speech related changes). For these reasons, it took add-ons community a while to get add-ons ready for 2019.3 (not only modifying source code, but testing to make sure add-ons are working as advertised in old and new NVDA releases). And given the massive scale of changes in NVDA 2019.3, future updates for many add-ons will not be compatible with older NVDA releases.
2. What did Remote add-on authors say: late last year, one of the developers of NVDA Remote add-on did contact NV Access, requesting help in preparing Remote add-on for NVDA 2019.3. In short, the community effort to raise concerns about the add-on did have an impact. This does not mean our journey is over - the issue has become more urgent, seeing that stable version of NVDA 2019.3 is not far away and Python 2 is dead (yes, dead).
3. Contacting Remote add-on authors: as Robert put it (although forcefully, I think), the best communication channel is contacting authors directly. I know that people will continue to ask about status of Remote add-on, and unless the situation changes, the best advice you can give is directing people to contact authors.
4. Perceived rudeness of Robert's plea: on one hand, Robert did the right thing by asking people to talk to add-on developers. On the other hand, his style was perceived as rude. I think a number of factors may have influenced his tone: frustration with people not taking community advice (although I would say that people did contact authors directly, including myself), tendency for repetitions (happens in forums like this, which is understandable), and to highlight urgency of this matter (again, the issue of Remote add-on is something add-ons community and NV Access are keeping an eye on). However, let me make one thing clear: just because today is New Year's Day should NOT be reason to label someone as "rude" when livelihoods of tens of hundreds of people are at stake without ability to use Remote add-on for various tasks; to me, that's "masking the reality" - creating a celebratory mood just to get away from the issue at hand, and let me tell you: this tactic won't last long. Nor should we forget that people interpret our writing styles differently - people have different notions of "rudeness" and "urgency".

In regards to all this, although I have some reservations about Robert's tone, I'm in agreement with his overall argument. To paraphrase Robert's intended message in a way that might be helpful to some:
At this time, the best way is contacting authors unless the situation changes.

As an add-ons community representative, I'm going to keep an eye on this thread for a while - not because of the arguments made, but to monitor the emotional climate that has resulted from it.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Topic Locked.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)