Zoom support is the best

Stephen

Hi there.
Got this email from zoom accessibility support earlier today.
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for reaching out to Zoom Accessibility. Our team has been able to reproduce the issue. We deem this a high priority issue and will try to address it in our 4.7.0 release (slated for March release).

I will continue to keep you posted if timelines change due to technical difficulties.
Thanks,
(name withheld)

That's nice, but it would have been equally nice to know if you reported an accessibility bug or what. Many companies think certain bugs are high priority so I don't get the special nature of this one? Without even knowing what the initial issue was, I'm just confused, not excited.

Sarah k Alawami

Exzaactly. I've received that meail from them before so it is canned.

Take care, I'm also not impressed.

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 30 Dec 2019, at 12:57, Robert Kingett wrote:

That's nice, but it would have been equally nice to know if you reported an accessibility bug or what. Many companies think certain bugs are high priority so I don't get the special nature of this one? Without even knowing what the initial issue was, I'm just confused, not excited.

Stephen

Sorry, forgot to include the bug report in the email.
Here it is.
Hi.
When I type anything into a text chat or search box window, and then
try to review with the arrow keys what I've just typed, the screen
reader does not read any of the letters.
Could this possibly be fixed for the next version of zoom?
Thanks.

At 07:57 AM 12/31/2019, you wrote:

That's nice, but it would have been equally nice to know if you reported an accessibility bug or what. Many companies think certain bugs are high priority so I don't get the special nature of this one? Without even knowing what the initial issue was, I'm just confused, not excited.

Stephen

Sarah don't you think you're gbeing a little harsh on Zoom?
At 07:59 AM 12/31/2019, you wrote:

Exzaactly. I've received that meail from them before so it is canned.

Take care, I'm also not impressed.

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 30 Dec 2019, at 12:57, Robert Kingett wrote:
(snip)

Sarah k Alawami

No I do not. That very bug that was reported was reported on mac os in 2017. And on iOs as well. They didn't get it and thought that they had to turn off the accessibility or some such. So no, I'm not being harsh at all. This bug is between 2 and 3 years in length.

On 30 Dec 2019, at 16:08, Stephen wrote:

Sarah don't you think you're gbeing a little harsh on Zoom?
At 07:59 AM 12/31/2019, you wrote:

Exzaactly. I've received that meail from them before so it is canned.

Take care, I'm also not impressed.

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 30 Dec 2019, at 12:57, Robert Kingett wrote:
(snip)

Sam Bushman

I will say this. For modern software zoom works quite well with screen access.

Most other programs don’t work that well.

I am grateful for their efforts.

Sam

Sarah don't you think you're gbeing a little harsh on Zoom?
At 07:59 AM 12/31/2019, you wrote:

Exzaactly. I've received that meail from them before so it is canned.

Take care, I'm also not impressed.

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 30 Dec 2019, at 12:57, Robert Kingett wrote:

(snip)

Sarah k Alawami

While I agree, I have to say that they do need some accessibility work. They fixed some but not all of their issues especially on mac os and iOs. And they take about 2-3 years to fix even one. It's a lot better than it was in 2016, but still.

On 30 Dec 2019, at 16:43, Sam Bushman wrote:

I will say this. For modern software zoom works quite well with screen access.

Most other programs don’t work that well.

I am grateful for their efforts.

Sam

Sarah don't you think you're gbeing a little harsh on Zoom?
At 07:59 AM 12/31/2019, you wrote:

Exzaactly. I've received that meail from them before so it is canned.

Take care, I'm also not impressed.

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 30 Dec 2019, at 12:57, Robert Kingett wrote:

(snip)

Jonathan COHN

And how do you know this is a Zoom bug and not a browser bug? I often see symptoms like this for “textarea” elements. In fact one  web page I visit  puts the contents of the value of the textarea into the label  of the field. My understanding is that Google Docs uses a live region to fake typing echo.

Jonathan

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Monday, December 30, 2019 at 7:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

External email alert: Be wary of links & attachments.

No I do not. That very bug that was reported was reported on mac os in 2017. And on iOs as well. They didn't get it and thought that they had to turn off the accessibility or some such. So no, I'm not being harsh at all. This bug is between 2 and 3 years in length.

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 30 Dec 2019, at 16:08, Stephen wrote:

Sarah don't you think you're gbeing a little harsh on Zoom?
At 07:59 AM 12/31/2019, you wrote:

Exzaactly. I've received that meail from them before so it is canned.

Take care, I'm also not impressed.

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 30 Dec 2019, at 12:57, Robert Kingett wrote:

(snip)

Sarah k Alawami

In my case, I use the app which is not a browser, and this happens, or the iOs app which is not a browser and it happens, you cannot see what you are editing and you can make a lot of mistakes in chat.

Take care

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Monday, December 30, 2019 at 7:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

External email alert: Be wary of links & attachments.

No I do not. That very bug that was reported was reported on mac os in 2017. And on iOs as well. They didn't get it and thought that they had to turn off the accessibility or some such. So no, I'm not being harsh at all. This bug is between 2 and 3 years in length.

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 30 Dec 2019, at 16:08, Stephen wrote:

Sarah don't you think you're gbeing a little harsh on Zoom?
At 07:59 AM 12/31/2019, you wrote:

Exzaactly. I've received that meail from them before so it is canned.

Take care, I'm also not impressed.

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 30 Dec 2019, at 12:57, Robert Kingett wrote:

(snip)

Stephen

I've only been using zoom for a couple of months, so I am going to give the coders the benefit of the doubt until I see some cold hard evidence that says otherwise.  From what I've discovered so far, they have made a decent effort to make most of zoom's functions accessible with screen readers, including the emoticons selection menu.
It's only text chatthat is the major sticking point now.

At 01:01 PM 12/31/2019, you wrote:

In my case, I use the app which is not a browser, and this happens, or the iOs app which is not a browser and it happens, you cannot see what you are editing and you can make a lot of mistakes in chat.

Take care

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 30 Dec 2019, at 17:29, Cohn, Jonathan wrote:

And how do you know this is a Zoom bug and not a browser bug? I often see symptoms like this for “textareaâ€� elements. In fact one  web page I visit  puts the contents of the value of the textarea into the label  of the field. My understanding is that Google Docs uses a live region to fake typing echo. Â

Jonathan

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Monday, December 30, 2019 at 7:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

External email alert: Be wary of links & attachments.

No I do not. That very bug that was reported was reported on mac os in 2017. And on iOs as well. They didn't get it and thought that they had to turn off the accessibility or some such. So no, I'm not being harsh at all. This bug is between 2 and 3 years in length.

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 30 Dec 2019, at 16:08, Stephen wrote:

Sarah don't you think you're gbeing a little harsh on Zoom?
At 07:59 AM 12/31/2019, you wrote:

Exzaactly. I've received that meail from them before so it is canned.

Take care, I'm also not impressed.

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 30 Dec 2019, at 12:57, Robert Kingett wrote:

(snip)

Sarah k Alawami

Yep, that has ben an issue now for about the 2 or so years I've ben using zoom. It's ben reported. And the file sending thing is a bit of a mess, it works but yeah, it could work better.