Topics

say all not working in nvda beta

Bryan Mckinnish

Hi.

I upgraded to the nvda 2019.3 beta yesterday, all is going well so far, but I ran into a little problem.

I'm trying to read a document in notepad, and the say all command only seems to read the line that the cursor is on.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks.

Bryan Mckinnish

Carlos

Hello:

    Yesterday I commented on this issue and one of the moderators decided to shoot me down!

    I was using NVDA 2019.3beta and I had to roll back to NVDA 2019.2.1 for these reasons that others are having with say all on it seems to happen on any program that uses say all command!

    Just remember that moderators pay attention to these posts and if it sounds negative to them you will get a stern talking to like I did!

    Hope that the RC version of NVDA 2019.3 will have these buffering issues fixed?

--
Carlos - Windows 10 Home, 64 Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363 - NVDA Version 2019.2

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Hello,
I can't reproduce it here at my end. Read to end works as in 2019.2.1 for me.

Regards,
Ralf

[...]

Rui Fontes

Hello Carlos and Bryan Mckinnish!

Make such affirmation without sending a NVDA log is not very clever since lots of users, including myself, are using 2019.3 in Beta or Alpha versions and continuous reading works as ever...

So, please do the following:
1 - Run NVDA with add-ons disabled;
2 - If SayAll it is yet not working as it should, restart NVDA with the log enabled;
3 - Get the log and send us. Be aware that the log will show your passwords, so clean the log file of that...

Best regards,

Rui Fontes
NVDA portuguese team

Enviada: domingo, 5 de janeiro de 2020 13:52
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Assunto: Re: [nvda] say all not working in nvda beta

[...]

    When I first noticed the say all issue I did send a copy of my log file to an NVDA developer/contributor and he/she told me that there were buffering issues but that it would be taken care of at some point and that there were others issues that are more important and were being looked at first!

    So, I just rolled back to NVDA 2019.2.1 until the RC version of NVDA 2019.3/2020.1 comes out!

Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Strange... Maybe caused by some add-on...
I am using the 2019.3 Alphas since they appear wit Python 3 and never noticed that...

Regards,

Rui Fontes

Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Sam Bushman

Hi All,

I feel the need to respond to this.

Make such affirmation without sending a NVDA log is not very clever since lots of users, including myself, are using 2019.3 in Beta or Alpha versions and continuous reading works as ever.
Each user is at different levels of understanding and capabilities with regards to Technology and especially NVDA.
If I report something not working on this list and I either don't have the time or ability to provide more info that doesn't mean I shouldn't report it.
Yes, providing instructions to get more info is more than helpful and encouraged. However, the comment above is not helpful.
If I report something is not working - asking clarifying questions is also wonderful - but others can test and maybe someone with more experience can duplicate the issue. If that happens then the tip /report served its purpose.

I hope in 2020 we can all respect one another and approach this list and the NVDA software with gratitude for all those who work so tirelessly to make it happen. I personally don't know where I would be without NVDA and all of you. I am able to make a living in Technology as a result of all your combined efforts and I for one and truly grateful for all of you and your associations.

With Gratitude!
Sam

molly the blind tech lover

Hi.
I love NVDA so much. Words can not express how grateful I am. Without NVDA I would not be able to achieve my dream of becoming a software engineer. I am so grateful to all the NVDA developers and contributors and I love being a part of this list and the NVDA community.
God Bless

[...]

Hello Again:

    As I explained in a previous message. I did submit a copy of my log file to a developer/contributor and he/she responded by telling me that entries in my log file showed that there were some buffering issues and that I should not worry about it for now!

    I was told that there were other issues that were being fixed which were/are more important to how NVDA 2019.3/2020.1 working correctly for all users!

    Nest time I will clutter up the list with my log files instead of sending in to someone who has better knowledge and can fix things without having the list full of submitted log files!

On 1/5/2020 9:08 AM, Sam Bushman wrote:
[...]

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 12:24 PM, Carlos wrote:
Next time I will clutter up the list with my log files instead of sending in to someone who has better knowledge and can fix things without having the list full of submitted log files!
No, you won't.  And neither will other members as a matter of routine course.  There are occasions where one of the participants here who happens to be a developer asks for a log, then and only then is posting of same appropriate.

Users of NVDA have the GitHub site that allows them to directly search existing issues and/or create new issues.  This is a direct line to the NVDA development team.  One of my goals this year for myself is trying to get in to the steps to create a GitHub account, search NVDA issues, add comments to existing issues when appropriate, or create a new issue when one exists.

The NVDA group itself is not the correct mechanism for communicating with those doing NVDA development.  If you luck out it works sometimes, but that's what it is, lucking out.

It's not a problem to post saying you have an issue and asking if others are experiencing it.  But one thing that users of any software need to understand is that most issues are idiosyncratic, not global.  If you're having an issue and there are many responses that others are not having it the probability is that something is wrong on your machine, whether with that software or some underlying aspect of the operating system.  When there are a ton of "I'm not having any issue" responses then the correct thing to do is start looking at your own machine first.  The problem likely resides there, and will be resolved there, too.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Rui Fontes

I apologize by my statement ...
I should have been more careful ...

Rui Fontes

Enviada: domingo, 5 de janeiro de 2020 17:09
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Gene

What command are you using for say all and what keyboard layout are you using?  If you are using caps lock down arrow, make sure you told NVDA to use the capslock as an NVDA key.  If you don't know or remember how, we'll tell you.  What you are describing sounds like what would be expected to happen if you try to use caps lock down arrow but you didn't tell NVDA to use the caps lock as an NVDA key.

Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2020 6:57 AM
Subject: [nvda] say all not working in nvda beta

Hi.

I upgraded to the nvda 2019.3 beta yesterday, all is going well so far,
but I ran into a little problem.

I'm trying to read a document in notepad, and the say all command only
seems to read the line that the cursor is on.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks.

Bryan Mckinnish

Gene

I didn't see anyone shoot you down on the list.  If you are referring to my message, I didn't shoot you down.  I asked for more information and I said that since the beta has been out for two weeks or longer, the proboem may be specific to your system.
If that is what you are referring to, that isn't shooting anyone down.  You asked for help and I answered telling you what I suspect and asking for more information.

I didn't say you didn't have a problem, I don't know.  I said it may be specific to your machine.

And I am not a moderator.  I was a moderator.

--
Carlos - Windows 10 Home, 64 Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363 - NVDA Version 2019.2

Blaster

I'm not having any trouble with the say all command, however, as Gene
pointed out you should try both the laptop and desktop commands as on
an earlier version update my "insert key plus down arrow" switched to
the "caps lock plus down arrow" on it's own. Switching it back
quickly fixed my issue, hope it works for you too.

HTH,
Blaster

[...]

Kevin Cussick

well, it is not doing this with the alpha or beta version for me. alpha is installed beta is portable.