From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cearbhall
O'Meadhra
Sent: Sunday, September 6, 2020 10:50 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] OCR

Thanks, Martin, I'll give that a go!

All the best,

Cearbhall

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marten Post
Uiterweer
Sent: Sunday, September 6, 2020 8:53 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Cearbhall,
You can also go to the list where you will find a list of page numbers.
1, 2 etc. The pages you have scanned.
Press contextkey or shift-f10 on a digit and chose: save pages to or
something.
Ctrl-tab and tab are keys to use in finereader. Maybe sw3itch to an othere
program with alt-tab and back to finereader.

Regards, marten

On Sun, 6 Sep 2020 17:08:12 +0100 "Rui Fontes" <rui.fontes@...>
wrote:

Hello!

Firstly, I didn't said that FineReader was fully accessible!

I just asked what was the problem with the acessibility of the menus...

Regarding the Editor window it is somehow accessible, but it is a
strange
window...

I have tried with a document, recognized almost completly correct to
TXT
format, but with errors on the Editor window... And trying to correct in
that window is not possible...

By instance, in the Editor appears M RIA instead of MARIA, and I was
unable to correct it...

After the recognition, press Control Tab and then Shift Control Tab...
Maybe not the first time, but you will land in a edit area...

Rui Fontes

Às 16:40 de 06/09/2020, Cearbhall O'Meadhra escreveu:
Hi, Rui,

I am using FineReader 11 because I recognised its value as an OCR
machine. The menus are perfectly accessible. However I cannot browse the
document resulting from OCR nor can I make any edits to the document. The
editor does not seem to be accessible. As you do find this program to be
fully accessible, could you suggest how I might use the editor and view my
pages in FineReader with NVDA?

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e:
cearbhall.omeadhra@...

On 2020-01-08 4:43 p.m., Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:
?
i use abby

----- Original Message ----- From: Quentin Christensen
On 2020-01-08 4:43 p.m., Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:
?
i use abby

----- Original Message ----- From: Quentin Christensen
Has anyone compared OCR software lately? I had someone ask about
Omnipage 20. I know a few people use Abbyy Finereader, but I
wasn't sure how they compare or what other options are out there
currently.

Kind regards

Quentin.

Arlene

Kurzweil when I had windows 7. I haven’t installed it on my win ten laptop. Not sure what version I have. I don’t think it will work on this machine.  It did work on my win 7 box.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On 2020-01-08 4:43 p.m., Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:
?
i use abby

----- Original Message ----- From: Quentin Christensen
Has anyone compared OCR software lately? I had someone ask about
Omnipage 20. I know a few people use Abbyy Finereader, but I wasn't
sure how they compare or what other options are out there currently.

Kind regards

Quentin.

Cristóbal

Another thing to try is the KNFBReader Windows 10 app.
I can't recall the last time I really used the full Kurzweil 1000 version on my computer, but still use the KNFBReader app from time to time.
In general though, I hardly use a third party software for OCR on my computers at this point because most of that I now do with my iPhone if it's an actual sheet of paper and I'm also a Jaws user mainly. Their built in OCR feature has gotten really good and is good enough for the odd document or image.

Cristóbal

i use abby

On 2020-01-08 4:43 p.m., Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:

i use abby

----- Original Message ----- From: Quentin Christensen
Has anyone compared OCR software lately? I had someone ask about
Omnipage 20. I know a few people use Abbyy Finereader, but I wasn't
sure how they compare or what other options are out there currently.

Kind regards

Quentin.

Pranav Lal

Hi all,

Someone correct me if I am wrong but the last time I tried FineReader, it did not recognize text from within screen shots on a page. It just said "image". Kurzweil did. At that time, I attributed this to the difference between a blindness product and one designed for the sighted market.

Is this still the case?

Pranav

Rui Fontes

Why not send the results directly to Word?

Rui

Às 17:15 de 06/09/2020, Brian Vogel escreveu:

Rui,

          I have encountered this sort of thing when a given piece of software meant to do one thing very well, in this case OCR, gives a very primitive and half-posteriored method to do something it's not dedicated to doing.

          My solution has always been to save out the OCRed result to some file format you can open in another, dedicated editor that does work well and do the corrections there.  It's sometimes the only way I've found for dealing with this that prevents insanity (or mine, anyway).  In worst case scenarios it was a two-step process where the OCRed result went straight to PDF, and then the PDF was opened in MS-Word, which converts it to Word format as part of the open process.

          ~ Oscar Wilde

i use abby

i use abby

i use abby

i use abby

i use abby

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

On 2020-01-08 4:43 p.m., Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:

i use abby

Has anyone compared OCR software lately? I had someone ask about
Omnipage 20. I know a few people use Abbyy Finereader, but I
wasn't sure how they compare or what other options are out there
currently.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org>

Best Regards
Bhavya Shah
Stanford University | Class of 2024
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...

Ian Blackburn

hi k1000 is still about and you can get a license for it if you own old version.

I don't find it very reliable compared too ther commercial products

Ian

On 6/09/2020 11:13 am, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Well kurzweil hasn't been about for ages anyway only schools can get it.

But if I had the cash and could get it for myself its a good suite.

Braille translation omnipage and abbyy finereader engines, pdf ocr, the works, its worth every cent.

I still would like it.

Back in the day, someone gave me a cracked copy of it and I liked it.

But it appears you can't buy it for yourself and its not being sold anymore or its outdated.

But yeah if you can get it then do so.

On 2020-01-08 4:43 p.m., Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:

i use abby

On 2020-01-08 4:43 p.m., Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:

i use abby

On 2020-01-08 4:43 p.m., Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:

i use abby