Topics

some keyboard commands

Brice Mijares

Using NVDA, why don't NVDA echo the keyboard commands copy, cut, paste ETC?

Probably because it's generally not considered necessary (though I'll be shocked if someone doesn't come back saying there's a setting you can use to do just that).

Visually, you get no indicator that a copy has occurred, though a cut is obvious since something disappears and a paste is just as obvious because something appears.  That being said, the CTRL+C (copy), CTRL+X (cut), and CTRL+V (paste) commands are used so frequently and are, in my experience, 100% reliable or very close to it, and become such an automatic thing for keyboard shortcut users that announcement as a default would be auditory clutter.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Monte Single

I use cut, copy and paste a lot, every day.

Sometimes the paste command does not work, and that is because I did not make sure  I had the text or item selected.

Probably because it's generally not considered necessary (though I'll be shocked if someone doesn't come back saying there's a setting you can use to do just that).

Visually, you get no indicator that a copy has occurred, though a cut is obvious since something disappears and a paste is just as obvious because something appears.  That being said, the CTRL+C (copy), CTRL+X (cut), and CTRL+V (paste) commands are used so frequently and are, in my experience, 100% reliable or very close to it, and become such an automatic thing for keyboard shortcut users that announcement as a default would be auditory clutter.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

I knew I'd seen something that made these commands, and some others, be announced, and a quick web search on "NVDA announce cut copy paste commands" led me directly to:

Clipspeak - addons.nvda-project.org

I need to remember to follow my own advice and do a simple web search for this sort of thing.  If you give enough specific search terms you get almost straight to the solution.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Gene

I have, on occasion, issued the copy command and it didn't work for some reason.  Sometimes, this or that command doesn't work for some reason and I have to issue it twice, such as opening Computer.

As I've said before, this can lead to a good deal of inconvenience.  If I've copied and pasted twenty files, then I copy and paste fifteen other files somewhere else, if the control c command doesn't work, I'll copy the twenty files I've already copied to the new location.  Then I must delete them all, go back, copy the new files again and paste them again.  it would be so much simpler if I heard something like copied when I use control c and I hear nothing if the command doesn't work.

There is an add-on which I have no idea if it will work in the beta or upcoming new version of NVDA, that allows you to hear such announcements.  It should be in the program itself, System Access does this, and JAWS does this.

Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2020 10:12 AM

I use cut, copy and paste a lot, every day.

Sometimes the paste command does not work, and that is because I did not make sure  I had the text or item selected.

Probably because it's generally not considered necessary (though I'll be shocked if someone doesn't come back saying there's a setting you can use to do just that).

Visually, you get no indicator that a copy has occurred, though a cut is obvious since something disappears and a paste is just as obvious because something appears.  That being said, the CTRL+C (copy), CTRL+X (cut), and CTRL+V (paste) commands are used so frequently and are, in my experience, 100% reliable or very close to it, and become such an automatic thing for keyboard shortcut users that announcement as a default would be auditory clutter.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Rui Fontes

There are others, like NVDAExtensionGlobalPlugin and FakeClipboardAnouncement, both working in my NVDA Alpha with Python 3…

Rui

Enviada: sábado, 11 de janeiro de 2020 16:16
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Assunto: Re: [nvda] some keyboard commands

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 11:30 AM, Rui Fontes wrote:
There are others, like NVDAExtensionGlobalPlugin and FakeClipboardAnouncement, both working in my NVDA Alpha with Python 3…
I have little doubt.

I have wished that there was a true, central repository for NVDA add-ons since I started working with NVDA, but I doubt it's ever going to happen.  I've been around when myriad different user-created add-ons with very specific functions have been brought up, but if you don't know about them they're virtually impossible to find.

It would be nice to have an add-on repository that included fully vetted add-ons, both for current and prior versions of NVDA, under development add-ons, and the "free for all" area of community created add-ons that are completely at your own risk as far as using them.  The only reason anything would be taken out of that last category is if something were determined to be malicious.

I doubt that such a repository will ever come into existence, though.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Sarah k Alawami

On 11 Jan 2020, at 8:25, Gene wrote:

If I've copied and pasted twenty files, then I copy and paste fifteen other files somewhere else, if the control c command doesn't work, I'll copy the twenty files I've already copied to the new location.  Then I must delete them all, go back, copy the new files again and paste them again

Not really. There is always control z for undo, so you can just undo your boo boo and be done with it. I did that when I copied over about 2000 1k zip files I didn't need. Woops

to subscribe to the feed click here

Sort of exists – all that is needed to be done is authors requesting addition of their add-ons to community add-ons website. At the moment there is a discussion about how to improve add-ons submission and discovery.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Brian, it's just more assuring to hear it.

On 1/11/2020 7:56 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Probably because it's generally not considered necessary (though I'll be shocked if someone doesn't come back saying there's a setting you can use to do just that).
Visually, you get no indicator that a copy has occurred, though a cut is obvious since something disappears and a paste is just as obvious because something appears.  That being said, the CTRL+C (copy), CTRL+X (cut), and CTRL+V (paste) commands are used so frequently and are, in my experience, 100% reliable or very close to it, and become such an automatic thing for keyboard shortcut users that announcement as a default would be auditory clutter.
         ~ Robert Frost, /The Black Cottage/ (1914)

Gene

Fake clipboard announcement does what it says.  it says things like copied when you issue the command but it doesn't know if copying took place.  It is just programmed to say a word when a certain command is used.  I don't know what happends in the global plugin.  but will any of these plugins work with the upcoming new version of NVDA?

Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I knew I'd seen something that made these commands, and some others, be announced, and a quick web search on "NVDA announce cut copy paste commands" led me directly to:

Clipspeak - addons.nvda-project.org

I need to remember to follow my own advice and do a simple web search for this sort of thing.  If you give enough specific search terms you get almost straight to the solution.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Gene

That's good to know but I could have saved the time and inconvenience of pasting the files in the first place if copy were or were not announced.  And I would also have to select the other files again, and copy and paste them again.

Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2020 10:40 AM

On 11 Jan 2020, at 8:25, Gene wrote:

If I've copied and pasted twenty files, then I copy and paste fifteen other files somewhere else, if the control c command doesn't work, I'll copy the twenty files I've already copied to the new location.  Then I must delete them all, go back, copy the new files again and paste them again

Not really. There is always control z for undo, so you can just undo your boo boo and be done with it. I did that when I copied over about 2000 1k zip files I didn't need. Woops

to subscribe to the feed click here

Brice Mijares

Brian, I had that add on, and it stopped working after installing NVDA 19.3 beta. One more thing about NVDA that has been going on for quite some time, When within a folder selecting files to move delete
ETC. NVDA will at times not echo selected or unselected. Restarting NVDA remedies that issue.
Windows version: Windows 10Ver1909 (64-bit) build 18363.535

<https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html>
I need to remember to follow my own advice and do a simple web
search for this sort of thing.  If you give enough specific search
terms you get almost straight to the solution.
         ~ Robert Frost, /The Black Cottage/ (1914)

Sarah k Alawami

This is why I work in two separate tabs as far as finder or explorer.exe are concerned. If I boo boo, I can undo, then go to the first tab and the 15 I meant to copy are still selected. I have sometimes 3 and 4 tabs open as I am doing some cut and copy operations to let's say keybase or a network drive, or another folder etc.

Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2020 10:40 AM

On 11 Jan 2020, at 8:25, Gene wrote:

If I've copied and pasted twenty files, then I copy and paste fifteen other files somewhere else, if the control c command doesn't work, I'll copy the twenty files I've already copied to the new location.  Then I must delete them all, go back, copy the new files again and paste them again

Not really. There is always control z for undo, so you can just undo your boo boo and be done with it. I did that when I copied over about 2000 1k zip files I didn't need. Woops

to subscribe to the feed click here

And did you update this add-on by any chance? A few weeks ago I edited this add-on it make it compatible with NVDA 2019.3.
Cheers,
Joseph

Brian, I had that add on, and it stopped working after installing NVDA
19.3 beta. One more thing about NVDA that has been going on for quite some time, When within a folder selecting files to move delete
ETC. NVDA will at times not echo selected or unselected. Restarting NVDA remedies that issue.
Windows version: Windows 10Ver1909 (64-bit) build 18363.535 On 1/11/2020 8:15 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I knew I'd seen something that made these commands, and some others,
be announced, and a quick web search on "NVDA announce cut copy paste
commands" led me directly to:

Clipspeak - addons.nvda-project.org
<https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html>

I need to remember to follow my own advice and do a simple web
search for this sort of thing. If you give enough specific search
terms you get almost straight to the solution.

Most of the change we think we see in life is due to truths being in
and out of favor.

~ Robert Frost, /The Black Cottage/ (1914)

Sarah k Alawami

Did you submit a bug report on that and diag logs if needed? If not I would do that now, or if and whenthe issue happens again.

On 11 Jan 2020, at 9:25, Brice Mijares wrote:

[...]

Hi,

In regards to compatibility (visiting an old thread), it ultimately depends on willingness from authors to respond to feedback from users.

Cheers,

Joseph

Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I knew I'd seen something that made these commands, and some others, be announced, and a quick web search on "NVDA announce cut copy paste commands" led me directly to:

Clipspeak - addons.nvda-project.org

I need to remember to follow my own advice and do a simple web search for this sort of thing.  If you give enough specific search terms you get almost straight to the solution.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Brice Mijares

That happened to me yesterday while copying some MP3's. They did not get copied to the clipboard and once I pasted them where I wanted them and if I wasn't paying attention, I could of have went back to the folder where I had copied them from and deleted them.

--
Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363
         ~ Robert Frost, /The Black Cottage/ (1914)

Brice Mijares

No, but I'll go download it.

On 1/11/2020 9:30 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
[...]

As I wrote in my message, yes.

NVDAExtensionGlobalPlugin is available, at least, in:

https://www.tiflotecnia.net/index_addons.htm

page in Portuguese…

FakeClipboard, I think it is only a question of modifying manifest.ini, but I don’t like it because of what you said…

Rui Fontes

Enviada: sábado, 11 de janeiro de 2020 17:20
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io