Topics

some keyboard commands

Brice Mijares

Using NVDA, why don't NVDA echo the keyboard commands copy, cut, paste ETC?

Probably because it's generally not considered necessary (though I'll be shocked if someone doesn't come back saying there's a setting you can use to do just that).

Visually, you get no indicator that a copy has occurred, though a cut is obvious since something disappears and a paste is just as obvious because something appears.  That being said, the CTRL+C (copy), CTRL+X (cut), and CTRL+V (paste) commands are used so frequently and are, in my experience, 100% reliable or very close to it, and become such an automatic thing for keyboard shortcut users that announcement as a default would be auditory clutter.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Most of the change we think we see in life is due to truths being in and out of favor.

~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Monte Single

I use cut, copy and paste a lot, every day.

Sometimes the paste command does not work, and that is because I did not make sure  I had the text or item selected.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: January-11-20 9:57 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] some keyboard commands

Probably because it's generally not considered necessary (though I'll be shocked if someone doesn't come back saying there's a setting you can use to do just that).

Visually, you get no indicator that a copy has occurred, though a cut is obvious since something disappears and a paste is just as obvious because something appears.  That being said, the CTRL+C (copy), CTRL+X (cut), and CTRL+V (paste) commands are used so frequently and are, in my experience, 100% reliable or very close to it, and become such an automatic thing for keyboard shortcut users that announcement as a default would be auditory clutter.
--

Most of the change we think we see in life is due to truths being in and out of favor.

I knew I'd seen something that made these commands, and some others, be announced, and a quick web search on "NVDA announce cut copy paste commands" led me directly to:

Clipspeak - addons.nvda-project.org

I need to remember to follow my own advice and do a simple web search for this sort of thing.  If you give enough specific search terms you get almost straight to the solution.

--

Gene

I have, on occasion, issued the copy command and it didn't work for some reason.  Sometimes, this or that command doesn't work for some reason and I have to issue it twice, such as opening Computer. 

As I've said before, this can lead to a good deal of inconvenience.  If I've copied and pasted twenty files, then I copy and paste fifteen other files somewhere else, if the control c command doesn't work, I'll copy the twenty files I've already copied to the new location.  Then I must delete them all, go back, copy the new files again and paste them again.  it would be so much simpler if I heard something like copied when I use control c and I hear nothing if the command doesn't work. 

There is an add-on which I have no idea if it will work in the beta or upcoming new version of NVDA, that allows you to hear such announcements.  It should be in the program itself, System Access does this, and JAWS does this.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2020 10:12 AM

Sometimes the paste command does not work, and that is because I did not make sure  I had the text or item selected.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: January-11-20 9:57 AM

--

Rui Fontes

There are others, like NVDAExtensionGlobalPlugin and FakeClipboardAnouncement, both working in my NVDA Alpha with Python 3…

Rui

De: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> Em Nome De Brian Vogel
Enviada: sábado, 11 de janeiro de 2020 16:16
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Assunto: Re: [nvda] some keyboard commands

I knew I'd seen something that made these commands, and some others, be announced, and a quick web search on "NVDA announce cut copy paste commands" led me directly to:

I need to remember to follow my own advice and do a simple web search for this sort of thing.  If you give enough specific search terms you get almost straight to the solution.

--

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 11:30 AM, Rui Fontes wrote:
There are others, like NVDAExtensionGlobalPlugin and FakeClipboardAnouncement, both working in my NVDA Alpha with Python 3…
I have little doubt.

I have wished that there was a true, central repository for NVDA add-ons since I started working with NVDA, but I doubt it's ever going to happen.  I've been around when myriad different user-created add-ons with very specific functions have been brought up, but if you don't know about them they're virtually impossible to find.

It would be nice to have an add-on repository that included fully vetted add-ons, both for current and prior versions of NVDA, under development add-ons, and the "free for all" area of community created add-ons that are completely at your own risk as far as using them.  The only reason anything would be taken out of that last category is if something were determined to be malicious.

I doubt that such a repository will ever come into existence, though.

--

Sarah k Alawami

On 11 Jan 2020, at 8:25, Gene wrote:

If I've copied and pasted twenty files, then I copy and paste fifteen other files somewhere else, if the control c command doesn't work, I'll copy the twenty files I've already copied to the new location.  Then I must delete them all, go back, copy the new files again and paste them again

Not really. There is always control z for undo, so you can just undo your boo boo and be done with it. I did that when I copied over about 2000 1k zip files I didn't need. Woops

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.

to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

Hi,

Sort of exists – all that is needed to be done is authors requesting addition of their add-ons to community add-ons website. At the moment there is a discussion about how to improve add-ons submission and discovery.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2020 8:39 AM

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 11:30 AM, Rui Fontes wrote:

I have little doubt.

I have wished that there was a true, central repository for NVDA add-ons since I started working with NVDA, but I doubt it's ever going to happen.  I've been around when myriad different user-created add-ons with very specific functions have been brought up, but if you don't know about them they're virtually impossible to find.

It would be nice to have an add-on repository that included fully vetted add-ons, both for current and prior versions of NVDA, under development add-ons, and the "free for all" area of community created add-ons that are completely at your own risk as far as using them.  The only reason anything would be taken out of that last category is if something were determined to be malicious.

I doubt that such a repository will ever come into existence, though.

--

Brice Mijares

Brian, it's just more assuring to hear it.

On 1/11/2020 7:56 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
--
Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363
         ~ Robert Frost, /The Black Cottage/ (1914)

Gene

Fake clipboard announcement does what it says.  it says things like copied when you issue the command but it doesn't know if copying took place.  It is just programmed to say a word when a certain command is used.  I don't know what happends in the global plugin.  but will any of these plugins work with the upcoming new version of NVDA?

Gene

Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2020 10:30 AM

Rui

--

Gene

That's good to know but I could have saved the time and inconvenience of pasting the files in the first place if copy were or were not announced.  And I would also have to select the other files again, and copy and paste them again. 

Gene

Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2020 10:40 AM

If I've copied and pasted twenty files, then I copy and paste fifteen other files somewhere else, if the control c command doesn't work, I'll copy the twenty files I've already copied to the new location.  Then I must delete them all, go back, copy the new files again and paste them again

Not really. There is always control z for undo, so you can just undo your boo boo and be done with it. I did that when I copied over about 2000 1k zip files I didn't need. Woops

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Brice Mijares

Brian, I had that add on, and it stopped working after installing NVDA 19.3 beta. One more thing about NVDA that has been going on for quite some time, When within a folder selecting files to move delete
ETC. NVDA will at times not echo selected or unselected. Restarting NVDA remedies that issue.
Windows version: Windows 10Ver1909 (64-bit) build 18363.535

On 1/11/2020 8:15 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
<https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html>
I need to remember to follow my own advice and do a simple web
search for this sort of thing.  If you give enough specific search
terms you get almost straight to the solution.
--

Sarah k Alawami

This is why I work in two separate tabs as far as finder or explorer.exe are concerned. If I boo boo, I can undo, then go to the first tab and the 15 I meant to copy are still selected. I have sometimes 3 and 4 tabs open as I am doing some cut and copy operations to let's say keybase or a network drive, or another folder etc.

On 11 Jan 2020, at 9:25, Gene wrote:

That's good to know but I could have saved the time and inconvenience of pasting the files in the first place if copy were or were not announced.  And I would also have to select the other files again, and copy and paste them again. 

Gene

Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2020 10:40 AM

Hi,
And did you update this add-on by any chance? A few weeks ago I edited this add-on it make it compatible with NVDA 2019.3.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brice Mijares
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2020 9:25 AM

Brian, I had that add on, and it stopped working after installing NVDA
19.3 beta. One more thing about NVDA that has been going on for quite some time, When within a folder selecting files to move delete
ETC. NVDA will at times not echo selected or unselected. Restarting NVDA remedies that issue.
Windows version: Windows 10Ver1909 (64-bit) build 18363.535 On 1/11/2020 8:15 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I knew I'd seen something that made these commands, and some others,
be announced, and a quick web search on "NVDA announce cut copy paste
commands" led me directly to:

search for this sort of thing. If you give enough specific search

--

Most of the change we think we see in life is due to truths being in
and out of favor.

Sarah k Alawami

Did you submit a bug report on that and diag logs if needed? If not I would do that now, or if and whenthe issue happens again.

On 11 Jan 2020, at 9:25, Brice Mijares wrote:

Brian, I had that add on, and it stopped working after installing NVDA 19.3 beta. One more thing about NVDA that has been going on for quite some time, When within a folder selecting files to move delete
Windows version: Windows 10Ver1909 (64-bit) build 18363.535
On 1/11/2020 8:15 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

search for this sort of thing.  If you give enough specific search

--

Hi,

In regards to compatibility (visiting an old thread), it ultimately depends on willingness from authors to respond to feedback from users.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2020 9:20 AM

Fake clipboard announcement does what it says.  it says things like copied when you issue the command but it doesn't know if copying took place.  It is just programmed to say a word when a certain command is used.  I don't know what happends in the global plugin.  but will any of these plugins work with the upcoming new version of NVDA?

Gene

Rui

--

Brice Mijares

That happened to me yesterday while copying some MP3's. They did not get copied to the clipboard and once I pasted them where I wanted them and if I wasn't paying attention, I could of have went back to the folder where I had copied them from and deleted them.

On 1/11/2020 8:25 AM, Gene wrote:
I have, on occasion, issued the copy command and it didn't work for some reason.  Sometimes, this or that command doesn't work for some reason and I have to issue it twice, such as opening Computer.
As I've said before, this can lead to a good deal of inconvenience.  If I've copied and pasted twenty files, then I copy and paste fifteen other files somewhere else, if the control c command doesn't work, I'll copy the twenty files I've already copied to the new location.  Then I must delete them all, go back, copy the new files again and paste them again.  it would be so much simpler if I heard something like copied when I use control c and I hear nothing if the command doesn't work.
There is an add-on which I have no idea if it will work in the beta or upcoming new version of NVDA, that allows you to hear such announcements.  It should be in the program itself, System Access does this, and JAWS does this.
Gene
*Sent:* Saturday, January 11, 2020 10:12 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] some keyboard commands
*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf Of *Brian Vogel
*Sent:* January-11-20 9:57 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] some keyboard commands
--
Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

Brice Mijares

No, but I'll go download it.

On 1/11/2020 9:30 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
And did you update this add-on by any chance? A few weeks ago I edited this add-on it make it compatible with NVDA 2019.3.
Cheers,
Joseph
-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brice Mijares
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2020 9:25 AM
Brian, I had that add on, and it stopped working after installing NVDA
19.3 beta. One more thing about NVDA that has been going on for quite some time, When within a folder selecting files to move delete
Windows version: Windows 10Ver1909 (64-bit) build 18363.535 On 1/11/2020 8:15 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I knew I'd seen something that made these commands, and some others,
be announced, and a quick web search on "NVDA announce cut copy paste
commands" led me directly to:

search for this sort of thing. If you give enough specific search

--

Most of the change we think we see in life is due to truths being in
and out of favor.

Rui Fontes

As I wrote in my message, yes.

NVDAExtensionGlobalPlugin is available, at least, in:

https://www.tiflotecnia.net/index_addons.htm

page in Portuguese…

FakeClipboard, I think it is only a question of modifying manifest.ini, but I don’t like it because of what you said…

Rui Fontes

De: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> Em Nome De Gene
Enviada: sábado, 11 de janeiro de 2020 17:20

Gene

Rui

--