Topics

State of the NvDA Remote add-on: NV Access sent patches to add-on authors

Hello NVDA users, especially NVDA Remote add-on fans:

For the last few months, many of you were wondering about what’s going on with NVDA Remote add-on, which isn’t compatible with upcoming NVDA 2019.3. I’m delighted to announce that something is indeed happening with the add-on. According to Reef Turner, an NV Access staff and NVDA developer, NV Access people just sent a series of patches to Remote add-on developers to make the add-on ready for NVDA 2019.3.

Stay tuned for updates on this front.

Cheers,

Joseph

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Joseph,

That's great news Joseph! I think the community will happy to hear it!

Hopefully it should stop the same question coming up now about when it will be ready. Looking forward to it working with NVDA 2019.3 when it comes out!

Regards,

Gene NZ

On 15/01/2020 12:36 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hello NVDA users, especially NVDA Remote add-on fans:

For the last few months, many of you were wondering about what’s going on with NVDA Remote add-on, which isn’t compatible with upcoming NVDA 2019.3. I’m delighted to announce that something is indeed happening with the add-on. According to Reef Turner, an NV Access staff and NVDA developer, NV Access people just sent a series of patches to Remote add-on developers to make the add-on ready for NVDA 2019.3.

Stay tuned for updates on this front.

Cheers,

Joseph

This is the beauty of open source software. I only wish this could be added to the core without non profits and government people freaking out about it. I'm beyond happy this is an open source project. The add on, and the screen reader. I also, of course, understand why many see this add on as a possible security risk. While I don't think the same way, I can understand the need for high security assurance. Could multiple people from the NVDA community be in charge of that github page so they could review and merge changes if the developers become completely tired of it in the future?

Sarah k Alawami

Agreed. I still don't understand why it is not added to core. After all we have jaws tandem and no one complains about it. So why not nvda remote in nvda itself? This would be useful for us personal helpers too. I hear that feedback all the time on the phone, or on twitter etc.

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 14 Jan 2020, at 16:35, Robert Kingett wrote:

This is the beauty of open source software. I only wish this could be added to the core without non profits and government people freaking out about it. I'm beyond happy this is an open source project. The add on, and the screen reader. I also, of course, understand why many see this add on as a possible security risk. While I don't think the same way, I can understand the need for high security assurance. Could multiple people from the NVDA community be in charge of that github page so they could review and merge changes if the developers become completely tired of it in the future?

Mark <marktyler2014@...>

I agree 100% as team leader of a tech team we use nvda remote all the time

Mark.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Lenron

It's insane after all jaws has remote and it's not a problem.

On 1/14/20, Mark via Groups.Io <marktyler2014=virginmedia.com@groups.io> wrote:
I agree 100% as team leader of a tech team we use nvda remote all the time
Mark.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Agreed. I still don't understand why it is not added to core. After all we
have jaws tandem and no one complains about it. So why not nvda remote in
nvda itself? This would be useful for us personal helpers too. I hear that
feedback all the time on the phone, or on twitter etc.
Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is
also our libsyn page as well.
to subscribe to the feed click here
Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to
podcasts, contests, etc.
Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and
mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832

I am not sure.

There were at one point I think last year or maybe the year before people saying that someone used nvda remote to hack their computer moving round on a forum, but it could have been people fooling about.

I am unsure if this is still the case but right now saving passwords saves them clearly in text files and I am not sure if you can generate a random key or not, maybe you can.

I havn't fiddled with remote for ages now.

I think actually that you can.

Point is there is no encription on the remote and that could make the addon not secure in sertain situations.

Saying that, to use remote you actually need nvda running on a system but still.

That is probably the only argument.

There was a thing on size of nvda itself, not everything can be core because of size.

On 15/01/2020 2:02 pm, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

Robert Mendoza

Hi, Joseph this is a great news and thanks for sharing

We'll definitely looking for this primarily our community is likely reliable with this addons.

On 1/15/2020 7:36 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hello NVDA users, especially NVDA Remote add-on fans:

For the last few months, many of you were wondering about what’s going on with NVDA Remote add-on, which isn’t compatible with upcoming NVDA 2019.3. I’m delighted to announce that something is indeed happening with the add-on. According to Reef Turner, an NV Access staff and NVDA developer, NV Access people just sent a series of patches to Remote add-on developers to make the add-on ready for NVDA 2019.3.

Stay tuned for updates on this front.

Cheers,

Joseph

hi joseph.
thanks so much for your great news!
i believe for both of remaining nvda remote as addon and integrating
remote to the nvda core.
some people like me, maybe dont and cant update there nvda, so they
need one addon for remote needs.

On 1/15/20, Joseph Lee <@joslee> wrote:
Hello NVDA users, especially NVDA Remote add-on fans:

For the last few months, many of you were wondering about what's going on
with NVDA Remote add-on, which isn't compatible with upcoming NVDA 2019.3.
I'm delighted to announce that something is indeed happening with the
add-on. According to Reef Turner, an NV Access staff and NVDA developer, NV
Access people just sent a series of patches to Remote add-on developers to
make the add-on ready for NVDA 2019.3.

Stay tuned for updates on this front.

Cheers,

Joseph

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Out of curiosity most installs of jaws I have seen are not on a huge network There might be lone machines I mean only a copy on one pc  out of all of them on a network.

If so have they got it so the remote add on will not work on a huge network or some how have it disabled.

I mean as in there version of the addon tandam.

Or are they happy to let the person use a tandam remote part of jaws?

The reason I ask this is here in new Zealand the 3 large networks which are library networks have nvda installed on all of there computers.

The APN K network 750 computers.Christ church libraries 390 computers

Auckland libraries 600 computers all with nvda on them.

So I would be guessing they would have to lock down the remote add on some how if it was installed into nvda you would say for security purposes.

I know if nvda is not running then it does not matter.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

home use etc does not matter but a large network might and might be one of the questions from them to know how to do it if part of NVDA.

Gene nz

[...]

So then I guess in short from a network admin would be is there a way to lock down the remote add on if it becomes part of nvda for security risk? or will it be safe as only when nvda is running it can be used then.

I guess you have to look at it from a network admin point of view. I think they can have it so add ons can not be installed etc if they do not want people to use them.

if it does not become part of NVDA and only get added in certain cases to do work with I guess we will see before long.

Gene nz

On 15/01/2020 5:15 pm, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

[...]

Hareth

No. Jaws tandem is a problem for a lot of corporations and offices.
Or that's at least what they believe.
That's why FS have created a way for customized non tandem installers.

wrote:
[...]

Kara Goldfinch

Joseph,

This is fantastic news.

Thanks for letting us all know.

Kara

On 14/01/2020 23:36, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hello NVDA users, especially NVDA Remote add-on fans:

For the last few months, many of you were wondering about what’s going on with NVDA Remote add-on, which isn’t compatible with upcoming NVDA 2019.3. I’m delighted to announce that something is indeed happening with the add-on. According to Reef Turner, an NV Access staff and NVDA developer, NV Access people just sent a series of patches to Remote add-on developers to make the add-on ready for NVDA 2019.3.

Stay tuned for updates on this front.

Cheers,

Joseph

--

Kara Goldfinch

Certified Expert
View the list of all NVDA Experts

Salvador Domenech Miguel

Oh yas. Thank you  so much, because is an add-on really interesting for people who gives support and something like that.

Cheers.

Salva Domenech
Comunicación y soporte a usuarios

El 15 ene 2020, a las 0:36, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> escribió:

Hello NVDA users, especially NVDA Remote add-on fans:

For the last few months, many of you were wondering about what’s going on with NVDA Remote add-on, which isn’t compatible with upcoming NVDA 2019.3. I’m delighted to announce that something is indeed happening with the add-on. According to Reef Turner, an NV Access staff and NVDA developer, NV Access people just sent a series of patches to Remote add-on developers to make the add-on ready for NVDA 2019.3.
Stay tuned for updates on this front.
Cheers,
Joseph

molly the blind tech lover