Topics

Elementary Question I'm afraid: How do I access the toolbars on screen with NVDA?

Clive Lever

Hi Jonathan,

Maybe I’m not using the right terms when I say I need to get to the toolbars, but here’s an example.

In Jaws and in NVDA, when you open a MS Word (.doc or .docx) file, you see the main text of the page you’re on. In jaws, you activate the Jaws cursor, and you see information such as headers, footers, etc, including the page number and word count of the file. How do you achieve a similar effect in NVDA, and how do you reverse it?

Thanks,

Clive

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 at 7:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

External email alert: Be wary of links & attachments.

Hi all,

The subject line says it all. I apologise that this is probably an elementary question. I’m asking because I’ve only recently started using NVDA as my main Screenreader, and Jaws as secondary (only when I have to). Until recently I prioritised them the other way round.

Thanks,

Clive

Jonathan COHN

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 at 7:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

External email alert: Be wary of links & attachments.

Hi all,

The subject line says it all. I apologise that this is probably an elementary question. I’m asking because I’ve only recently started using NVDA as my main Screenreader, and Jaws as secondary (only when I have to). Until recently I prioritised them the other way round.

Thanks,

Clive

Jacob Kruger

Toolbars explorer add-on?

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/toolbarsExplorer.en.html

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2020-01-15 06:14 AM, Gene wrote:
We'll see what others say, but I am not aware of an NVDA command to access tool bars.  I vaguely seem to remember a JAWS command being available but I never used it and I haven't seen anything about it for a long time.

Sometimes, f6 will move you from pane to pane in a Windows program and you can move to tool bars that way.  I suspect other times, you would have to use something like object navigation.  Others who know a lot more will, I expect provide information but this may give you things to try.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Mobeen Iqbal

Hi Clive.

It depends which program you're in, what toolbars are present and what you would like to do. For example, there is a scanning program that you cannot operate unless you access the toolbars as there is no menu bar. But word has toolbars that people seldom need. So the question is do you need to access the toolbars? if so, what program are you trying to access?

Cheers,

Mo.

On 15/01/2020 00:37, Clive Lever wrote:

Hi all,

The subject line says it all. I apologise that this is probably an elementary question. I’m asking because I’ve only recently started using NVDA as my main Screenreader, and Jaws as secondary (only when I have to). Until recently I prioritised them the other way round.

Thanks,

Clive

hi.

I wish to preempt the following with the following statement.

After my conduct on the windows list I am trying to be a little less abrupt.

I am not sure how important toolbars are currently.

I know that for a long time from windows 95 through to xp and even 7, toolbars had stuff on them that were found in menus and were conciddered by me and others as just clutter and you just turned them off.

I have however heard conflicting things that they actually may actually be usefull but never use them myself.

Most stuff is in a menu or ribbon or something.

Then again I have never found something that I have really needed a toolbar before.

I know there is a toolbars explorer addon and while I have had it installed I have yet to need a toolbar of any sort as such.

Saying that, I have tweaks to menuise as much of the windows shell as I can, and everything I use like thunderbird I never need to access a bar bar status.

With status itself in the traditional form changing, I am unsure how true it is for any bar in any program if its got a use  or not.

With a lot of things being web based especially with chromium type deals its probable we actually won't need a toolbar, at least not generally, I mean never say never but there are things we didn't need in the past, either through access or they didn't exist before and we got on without them.

For example I never needed to login with an account and can get round with an apps account, then again I don't use all services and whatever, however there are always different ways of accessing windows even if microsoft wants you to do something else.

Thats true of other companies to.

The same is with toolbars.

I have never needed to use one but it doesn't mean others may use them.

I havn't needed to care if a command exists or not, but I will hold off judgement on if we need one or not.

I have honestly never looked into that sort of thing and I most like never will unless it is something I frequently need.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Gene

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

hi.
which i am not complete sure,
but i think you should use windows keyboard for accessing toolbars.
can you please tell me windows shortcut for this task?