Topics

Accessible password managers, again.

John Isige

Hi everybody. I'm back for accessible password manager recommendations again, because let's just say I was pretty unimpressed with Last pass, to put it mildly. It was difficult to access the setup, and when I went to a site simply to put in my username and password, let alone have it generate anything, the site kept logging me in and immediately logging me out. I know this was a Last Pass issue because removing Last Pass let me login to the site just fine again.

This was with the Firefox plugin, everything up to date. I need something that will:

1. Be easy to set up.

2. Have actual keyboard shortcuts.

3. Doesn't break logins.

4. Is accessible on the web, in case I need to look my password(s) up on a machine that doesn't have the manager.

In theory, Last Pass does all of this, but it obviously didn't work for me. I'm not interested in tinkering with things, if it's not going to work the first time to save a simple username and password and log me in, I'm not particularly interested in screwing around with it to try and get it to work. I do have a Firefox account, and I'm pretty sure it can save login info, anybody know if it also does randomly generated secure passwords? Basically if anybody's got recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

FireFox is one of your best bets, but if you need to manually export your passwords for whatever reason, that's not easy to do. It is accessible though, and can generate strong passwords but I've never gotten FireFox's generator to work with the keyboard. Managing passwords is accessible, though. Chromium Edge is far better at doing this, in all aspects, though.

John Isige

Thanks, I'll take a look at Firefox. I didn't even think about it until I wrote my question last night.

On 1/15/2020 7:13, Robert Kingett wrote:

FireFox is one of your best bets, but if you need to manually export your passwords for whatever reason, that's not easy to do. It is accessible though, and can generate strong passwords but I've never gotten FireFox's generator to work with the keyboard. Managing passwords is accessible, though. Chromium Edge is far better at doing this, in all aspects, though.

René Linke

Hi,

I recommend to use KeePass Safe, it is completely based on XML structures of import/export files.
It has many extensions, and it works well with NVDA.

René

Hareth

I was playing with
bitwarden
on windows10, desktop app an chrome and waterfox / firefox extensions.
I start liking it
,.
Later tonight, going to try the android app and see what's going on there.
For sure it worth the try.

On 1/15/20, René Linke <rene.linke@...> wrote:
Hi,

I recommend to use KeePass Safe, it is completely based on XML
structures of import/export files.
It has many extensions, and it works well with NVDA.

René

Nimer Jaber

Chrome should work, as should Firefox, but you want a 3rd-party, which is probably smart, give 1password a try. Also, I played around with bitwarden, and it seemed to work pretty well also.

Thanks.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

you, and have a great day!

Tyler Wood

Hi,

My go to will always be key pass.

Free, open source, ability to put your database *wherever* you want, easy to run on any operating system of your choice and lots of configuration options.

I will never touch 1 password – for one it’s paid – and for 2 having my passwords in the cloud when that cloud could be breached at any moment much easier than my database on a thumb drive, and has been before. Why have a password manager at all in that case?

That is, of course, my opinion, and common sense is still one’s best friend.

--

Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

you, and have a great day!

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

While it's true that 1password has cloud options, and keypass is local, 1password makes password syncing between devices much easier. Moreover, 1password is secured with a key and now also with 2FA, thus making the likelihood that my password gets compromised that much more unlikely. In fact, I trust 1password with its layers of security over just about any other cloud provider which I might choose to use to store my database and have it synced. And yes, I could choose to just keep it offline, but that just isn't convenient. :-D

Tyler's right though, everyone should make those considerations for themselves about what level of risk they are willing to tolerate, and how they choose to perceive the risk.

Thanks.

--

Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

you, and have a great day!

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

you, and have a great day!

Cristóbal

I’m personally a 1Password user and am happy with my family plan and while you can find plusses and minuses and even flaws in any option out there, as this Washington Post article outlines, regardless of what service/app you end up picking, the important thing is to use something. Anything.

My email has popped up on some of the data leaks announced these past years, but I don’t really sweat it since it’s often as simple as going in and changing that one password for that one service. They’re also good for hacks like continuously getting introductory  offers or discounts for subscriptions and services. While I’m not hardcore like some people out there who cycle through monthly Amazon Prime one month free offers with different emails and log ins, I do do this for periodicals like the WSJ or the New Yorker or say other services that’ll give you the first year at a discounted rate, but bump you up to the full price the next year. Password managers make keeping track of this sort of stuff super easy.

1Password is fully accessible. Be it for Windows or iOS. I recall some folks saying that Dashlane really wasn’t accessible, but that was a while ago so who knows if there have been any improvements with it since then.

Cristóbal

--

Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

you, and have a great day!

--

Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

you, and have a great day!

DJ

KeePass makes it extremely easy to synchronize your database between devices. In fact, if I update the database on my local computer, it is automatically updated on my iPhone and iPad. Likewise if I update on the iPhone or iPad, it is also updated on my computer. It is free and very secure.

--

Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

you, and have a great day!

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

you, and have a great day!

Christopher Pross

Hey,
If I use keepass and want to sync my passwords across different devices, I have to rember two passwords. One for the database (Masterpassword) and one for the cloudprovider, right?
And so far as I know, is there no mobile app, which support 2fa.

At the moment I use lastpass. I am writing also a nvda add-on for the windows application

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Angelo Sonnesso

Last Pass works across all platforms.

73 N2DYN Angelo

If I use keepass and want to sync my passwords across different devices, I have to rember two passwords. One for the database (Masterpassword) and one for the cloudprovider, right?

And so far as I know, is there no mobile app, which support 2fa.

At the moment I use lastpass. I am writing also a nvda add-on for the windows application

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Jacob Kruger

I use keyPass, and, since it's database file is on my google drive, I only need to type in the password when opening the database, but, it otherwise synch's across all my android phones, my PC's, laptop, etc.

And, there's an android client for it, which is relatively usable.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA

On 2020-01-16 10:06 AM, Christopher Pross wrote:
Hey,
If I use keepass and want to sync my passwords across different devices, I have to rember two passwords. One for the database (Masterpassword) and one for the cloudprovider, right?
And so far as I know, is there no mobile app, which support 2fa.

At the moment I use lastpass. I am writing also a nvda add-on for the windows application

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Mallard

Thanks for this recommendation.

My husband and son recommended this to me too, but they're sighted, so I was going to check it out for accessibility.

You've saved me one step...

thanksagain.

Ciao,

Ollie

--

Best,

Nimer Jaber

correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its
contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in
civil or
attachments for security threats. However, security of your
machine is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free and versatile screen reader for
windows XP
and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest
technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me
at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you
promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at
(970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly.
Thank
you, and have a great day!

junior <tadeu.junior.tecladista@...>

Can I import autofill from google into this app?

--

[...]

----------
WhatsApp:
+5522998024703
Telegram:
@TecladistaJR
Skype:
live:tadeu.junior.tecladista_2
----------

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

I just installed Key Pass. More than Key Pass being an unfamiliar
software, password managers as a class of software are not very known
to me so I apologize in case upcoming questions are rudimentary.
So far, in Key Pass, I went into one of the groups, added an entry
(title, username, password and other things). Now, the URL of this web
address is such that you have an e-mail address field (and not
username) on one page, then one needs ot press the Next button, and
then the password needs to be inputted. I was hoping for a system
wherein I could auto-fill and save effort using the password manager.
When I click the closest sounding Perform Autotype- option in the
context menu corresponding to this entry with the login webpage
already open in a browser though, things don't seem to work. I hear a
bunch of sounds and then the Terms of Service of this website open
rather than my account on it. Thoughts?

Thanks.

--

Best,

Nimer Jaber

addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended
recipient,

Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...