Sent: Friday, January 17, 2020 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Reader mode in Chrome?

Unfortunately, as far as I know, Chrome removed that feature. I'm disappointed about that. It really worked well. I hope they eventually put it back.

what is the last version of chrome which supports reader mode?

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Gene

There are plugins that provide reader mode.  I don't know which ones may be accessible.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

David Griffith

I use one in the Brave  Browser called Reader View which is presumably identical in Chrome as they use the same engine.

When a page loads in which you want to invoke the reader view bring up the context menu and Reader View options will probably be there.

It may be that the context menu includes an option to show in Reader View or alternatively open link in Reader View – options seem to vary depending on the actual page and where you are focussed when the page opens. Anyway you get used to things working in certain ways on certain sites. I have learnt on some sites for example simply pressing application followed  by S will invoke the Show in Reader View command, but this does not always work.

I contacted the developers to request for a designated Reader View keystroke shortcut but they did not respond. They probably did not really understand the issue for those of us using screenreaders.

David Griffith

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Jackie

Firefox has it.

On 1/17/20, Geoff Connor <gjconnor@... <mailto:gjconnor@...> >
wrote:
Unfortunately, as far as I know, Chrome removed that feature. I'm
disappointed about that. It really worked well. I hope they eventually
put
it back.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

I saw something recently that Reader View has been removed from Chrome.  In Firefox, I haven't played with other browsers in this respect, the browser determines whether a page meets the criteria where reader  view would be useful and it is only offered on those pages.  So the home page of  a newspaper wouldn't have it.  A page containing an article from the newspaper would.  It is intended for reading text, such as articles and other text intended for reading, not for navigating, such as in a home page.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

David Griffith

Sorry I  should have made clear I installed Reader view as an extension in Brave – I cannot remember if it was the Chrome or Brave Web store I got the Reader View extension from. . In any case I have never personally come across an Chrome extension that does not also work in Brave.

David Griffith

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

JM Casey

A single keystroke invocation is pretty nice. With firefox, I just press the f9 key and the page reloads in reader mode. It is a useful feature, up to a point.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

hi gene.
can you please explain how can i save web page using reader mode as html only?
when i save it in this manner, i just recieve an empty page unfortunately!
thanks for your help, God bless you and His especial mercy i pray for you!

On 1/23/20, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes – unfortunately  I think most Chrome Reader extensions assume you can see to click a button in the Toolbar. Some talk about “assigning keystroke”  to this function but personally for whatever reason I have never got these to work. If Chrome defaulted back to a Reader View like Firefox it would definitely make life easier for screenreader users. In the meantime using the application key works with NVDA but it is not quite as convenient.

David Griffith

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Gene

I don't know if you can save web pages reformatted by Reader Mode.  I've never tried nor seen anything about it.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Jim O'Sullivan

Try changing the shortcut on your desktop for Chrome.
Point to it and press alt+enter
Change the command to something like:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --enable-dom-distiller
This may be slightly different if you have Chrome installed in a different directory.
Enter to come out of that and go back to desktop.
Close any running Chromes.
Run Chrome now using this desktop shortcut and get the menu up with alt+f
up-arrow a few times and you should find a toggle distill page
enter on this and this is similar to reader mode.
To get back to normal view just go back into the menu and toggle it off.

Jim

On 23/01/2020 11:22, zahra wrote:
what is the last version of chrome which supports reader mode?
On 1/17/20, Geoff Connor <gjconnor@...> wrote:
Unfortunately, as far as I know, Chrome removed that feature. I'm
disappointed about that. It really worked well. I hope they eventually put
it back.

ADRIAN POCOCK

Try just read or mercury reader.  Just reader when you right click on page and save as it allows single html which is read by nvda.

how about firefox?
i wish to save my pages as html only in reader mode.

On 1/24/20, ADRIAN POCOCK <ampbeast@...> wrote:
Try just read or mercury reader. Just reader when you right click on page
and save as it allows single html which is read by nvda.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Arlene

Not sure. If you got the older version of it that works with xp.  I really would not know if you can do this with an over version of firefox. If you can great.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

i wish to save my pages as html only in reader mode.

On 1/24/20, ADRIAN POCOCK <ampbeast@...> wrote:

> Try just read or mercury reader.  Just reader when you right click on page

> and save as it allows single html which is read by nvda.

--

By God,

were I given all the seven heavens

with all they contain

in order that

I may disobey God

by depriving an ant

from the husk of a grain of barley,

I would not do it.

imam ali

Gene

It may not be a good idea to save things in Reader Mode even if you can.  Reader Mode does a good job of presenting something like an article while stripping out extraneous material but, unless you have read the text you will be saving first, you don't definitely know that it has done everything correctly.  If you haven't read everything first and want to take a chance, then you may want to save the material.  It probably will be alright but I don't trust such processes, unsupervised, to always produce the results I want and I don't want to save material processed in that way without having read it first.

I tested saving a page as Web Page, HTML only.  I didn't test other options; This was with an old version of Firefox.  The page didn't save properly.  I don't know what would have happened with other options.

Regardless of what you can or can't save in Reader View, I would think you could save text in reader view by selecting all, control a, copy to the clipboard, paste it into Notepad, and saving it.  I didn't test that.

Not sure. If you got the older version of it that works with xp.  I really would not know if you can do this with an over version of firefox. If you can great.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

i wish to save my pages as html only in reader mode.

On 1/24/20, ADRIAN POCOCK <ampbeast@...> wrote:

> Try just read or mercury reader.  Just reader when you right click on page

> and save as it allows single html which is read by nvda.

--

By God,

were I given all the seven heavens

with all they contain

in order that

I may disobey God

by depriving an ant

from the husk of a grain of barley,

I would not do it.

imam ali

i wish that save web page as html only format.
if i save them in notepad, i lose all headings and links.
if i can save as html only, it preserves actual and related content
with headings and links withoutt extra informations that are not
related to the material that i want to read.
someone told me that i can use developer tools to do this, but i did
not learn and dont know whether its accessible with nvda or not.

On 1/24/20, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

In reader mode in firefox if you try to save the page it will turn out to be blank.

Instead try being on the page of interest, hit file menu and save page as and choose second option as the file format.  This when loaded will retain all usable parts of the webpage.