Topics

Reader mode in Chrome?

Luke Robinett

I installed a Chrome plugin that was called Reader View I believe. this was on my previous desktop so I don’t recall the details but I do recall it being accessible. When in doubt, why not just install a plugin and give it a shot? Its free and can always be removed if it doesn’t work out.

On Jan 27, 2020, at 5:30 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

There is a web page complete option which is the default.  That saves many files in a folder.  There is an option, web page html only, which saves one page, just the page you are reading and no other files such as image files.  If you want to try saving a page using that option, you can open it in the browser and see if you can use Reader Mode.

From: zahra
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2020 3:58 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Reader mode in Chrome?

single web page produces numerous files, but i only need the text of
web pages, not images and scripts for example.
i reported this issue to mozilla,
and i realized it reported previously too.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

but i wish to use the version that has most of features that i need.
firefox 50 has the shortcut for reader mode which was not present in
its previous versions.
firefox since 45 has container which i can use my gmail accounts at
the same time which is very important for me and these features were
one of my dreams and i thanks God and thank firefox developers that
provided for me my dreams!
i am very glad that newer versions that dont support my windows and my
hardware, dont have any essential and important feature that i cant
without them!

On 1/27/20, Oriana <@orineu> wrote:
The only single-file html I know i of is the .mhtml filetype, and it does
sometimes create a folder of images that you can subsequently delete.
However, if the issue you mentioned is breaking your ability to use the
tool, and Mozilla changes how it handles files... well, its not like it
will ever be rolled out to previous versions of Firefox. You might just
have to find another option. If you can get Firefox updated at least to
version 57, you might try the Browsh addon/browser, which apparently allows
Firefox to serve as the backend of an entirely text-based browser (
https://www.brow.sh/).

incidentally, since you haven't updated your browser for that long you may
want to basically assume that it has been hacked, and that all data and web
traffic through your PC is being monitored. A good web browser is like the
skin of your computer - really good at preventing infections, but only if
it remains unbroken. Firewall is the protective gear you wear like gloves
and masks, and antivirus software is like your immune system. You can even
use a rescue disc as if it were antibiotics for a severe infection... but
viruses and hacks both are constantly evolving ways to penetrate and
survive past these defenses.

<ampbeast@...><mailto:ampbeast@...>
> wrote:
>

> Try just read or mercury reader. Just reader when you right click
on
page
> and save as it allows single html which is read by nvda.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Oriana

<ampbeast@...><mailto:ampbeast@...>
> wrote:
>

> Try just read or mercury reader. Just reader when you right click on
page
> and save as it allows single html which is read by nvda.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

i never use up to date version of firefox.
50 or 51 are enough for me forever.
i am sure about my decision.
i have problem using all web pages in html format in reader mode.

On 1/27/20, Oriana <@orineu> wrote:
That seems odd. Is your Firefox up to date? Also, what website are you
having difficulty saving?

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020, 10:31 PM zahra <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:

i disable javascript most of the times in my firefox.
also, i could not open and read any pdf files with javascript disabled.

--

wrote:

Try just read or mercury reader. Just reader when you right click on page
and save as it allows single html which is read by nvda.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

ADRIAN POCOCK

On 1/24/20, ADRIAN POCOCK <ampbeast@...> wrote:
Try just read or mercury reader.  Just reader when you right click on page
and save as it allows single html which is read by nvda.

i wish that save web page as html only format.
if i save them in notepad, i lose all headings and links.
if i can save as html only, it preserves actual and related content
with headings and links withoutt extra informations that are not
related to the material that i want to read.
someone told me that i can use developer tools to do this, but i did
not learn and dont know whether its accessible with nvda or not.

On 1/24/20, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
It may not be a good idea to save things in Reader Mode even if you can.
Reader Mode does a good job of presenting something like an article while
stripping out extraneous material but, unless you have read the text you
will be saving first, you don't definitely know that it has done everything
correctly. If you haven't read everything first and want to take a chance,
then you may want to save the material. It probably will be alright but I
don't trust such processes, unsupervised, to always produce the results I
want and I don't want to save material processed in that way without having
read it first.

I tested saving a page as Web Page, HTML only. I didn't test other options;
This was with an old version of Firefox. The page didn't save properly. I
don't know what would have happened with other options.

Regardless of what you can or can't save in Reader View, I would think you
could save text in reader view by selecting all, control a, copy to the
clipboard, paste it into Notepad, and saving it. I didn't test that.