Topics

Difficulty with PDF Document

Richard Wells

System Access will be discontinued for sure at the end of 2020. DocuScan will not, at least for a while. We are seriously off topic, so I will stop responding to these questions unless directly contacted at richwels@...

On 1/17/2020 8:35 PM, Sky Mundell wrote:

So if I’m to understand it, will that Mean SA and DocuScan be discontinued eventually?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Wells
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2020 5:27 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Difficulty with PDF Document

Two things: DocuScan 3 has not yet been discontinued though it has not had an update for a while. MS Word 2013 can convert PDF, but it may not be readable if it is done from images rather than text. This is where DocuScan can help. Again, NVDA is not the best way to use DocuScan. Quit NVDA before starting DocuScan.

On 1/17/2020 5:26 PM, Abbie Taylor wrote:

Shaun, DocuScan Plus was worth it while it lasted. I still use it, and it works well with NVDA. Unfortunately, as I understand it, Serotek will no longer update or support this program and System Access at the end of 2020. Richard can correct me if I'm wrong, and I hope I am.

Andrea, if you're trying to open a pdf document, you can do this in Word 2013 and up. Simply use Word's open dialog to find the file, and press Enter on it like you would any other document. Word will convert the pdf to a docx file. NVDA reads most files pretty well this way. I hope this helps.
--
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

Gene

Just because a program is unsupported doesn’t mean it can’t be used.  I don’t know what the case will be with this program.  Do you purchase it or pay a price for continued use?  If it is offered as an ongoing service, it may no longer be available.  If you purchase it, and use it on your system, it will likely still be available.  Programs you purchase generally are after support stops.

Sent: Friday, January 17, 2020 6:49 PM

Well thanks for that. But now I am in the age care place I don't have
funds for things like MS Office ans such.
Thanks anyway.
It's a real pity about Docuscan. It did such a good job.
Cheers
Andrea

On 18/01/2020 10:26 am, Abbie Taylor wrote:
> Shaun, DocuScan Plus was worth it while it lasted. I still use it, and
> it works well with NVDA. Unfortunately, as I understand it, Serotek
> will no longer update or support this program and System Access at the
> end of 2020. Richard can correct me if I'm wrong, and I hope I am.
>
> Andrea, if you're trying to open a pdf document, you can do this in
> Word 2013 and up. Simply use Word's open dialog to find the file, and
> press Enter on it like you would any other document. Word will convert
> the pdf to a docx file. NVDA reads most files pretty well this way. I
> hope this helps.
> --
> Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
> http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
> http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
> abbietaylor945@...

Sky Mundell

[...]

Andrea Sherry

Abbie Taylor <abbietaylor945@...>

Shaun, DocuScan Plus was worth it while it lasted. I still use it, and it works well with NVDA. Unfortunately, as I understand it, Serotek will no longer update or support this program and System Access at the end of 2020. Richard can correct me if I'm wrong, and I hope I am.

Andrea, if you're trying to open a pdf document, you can do this in Word 2013 and up. Simply use Word's open dialog to find the file, and press Enter on it like you would any other document. Word will convert the pdf to a docx file. NVDA reads most files pretty well this way. I hope this helps.
--
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
abbietaylor945@...

I have not bothered with docuscan, however is it worth it I may check it out.

On 17/01/2020 5:51 pm, Sam Bushman wrote:
I use docuScan with nvda every day including the v3 beta 2 version and it works well for me.