Topics

windows 10 disk clean up

anthony borg

Hi folks,

Does anyone can explain to me how to use the windows 10 disk clean up
please?
Thanks in advance

Anthony

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

press the windows key and when the search box comes up type in disk it will come up with a result called disk cleanup/ Press the enter key on it. It will then come to another screen there you can pick your drive to do it to it is a combo box it will usually default to c: drive. You can use the down arrow key to go to another if you want to. What ever one you pick say c: drive you will then need to tab to ok button then press the enter key. It will then calculate how much can be cleaned up.

It will give you a list of areas it can clean up and say those areas. There is a check box next to each one. You can arrow down the list and use the space bar to check the box.

Down towards the bottom of the list you will then need to tab as the down arrow key will not take you any further.. If you tab once it will land on a system files button I think it was called. Press the enter key and repeate the process like before except this for will be for system files. Then at the bottom of the list you have selected all the ones you want removed you will then need to tab to the ok button then press the enter key.

It will then give you a message just say yes to it and then it will clean it up all for you.

Hope it helps.

Do not worry it will not remove any files only the ones you picked not needed.

Gene nz

On 22/01/2020 3:35 pm, anthony borg wrote:
Hi folks,

Does anyone can explain to me how to use the windows 10 disk clean up
please?
Thanks in advance

Anthony

Betsy Grenevitch

Wow! Gene, I need you as a computer teacher. I did not even ask the question because I totally forgot about disk clean up.

You wrote the steps in the way I learn and write down steps. It is hard to find someone to do it that specific here where I live.

I have copied these steps and will be trying to do this tonight before going to bed.

Thanks so much again.

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Chikodinaka mr. Oguledo

say crotonna open disk cleanup or go 2controle pannal serch for disk
clean up or call disability answerdisk answer desk from Microsoft
accessibility answer desk Microsoft.com google them good luck in
cleaning up your system

On 1/21/20, Betsy Grenevitch <blindangel61@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Betsy

You are welcome usually when I write stuff I like doing it step by step When that was typed up tonight it was on a windows 10 machine version 1909 but should be similar for earlier versions of Windows.

If you are interested in any of the other stuff I have written that way more for using NVDA on a desk top computer you can go to the following website at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

I could tidy it up and post it up there under a page called nvda tutorials for other programs page. I did have a audio version up there but may be on the nvda tutorials learning the basics page or nvda audio tutorials page I would have to check.

Gene nz

On 22/01/2020 5:20 pm, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
[...]

Gene

Are you interested in tutorials about any specific programs?  It might be something to be discussed on the chat list, but you might get good recommendations.

Personal instruction could be discussed as well, but it may be expensive and certain tutorials may be.  Others are not expensive or free.

Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 10:20 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] windows 10 disk clean up

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Betsy Grenevitch

I would definitely be interested in something like that if it is easy to find on the site. I have never been that great with websites and now with memory problems it is even more difficult. Thanks so much for all you do.

On 1/22/2020 1:20 AM, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

[...]

At this point there is not a particular task I am trying to do. The only thing I would like to try to learn is how to shop on the Kroger website but with my memory issues I am not sure I even want to tackle something like that unless it is really simple. I will keep the link you sent for future reference, though.

Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 10:20 PM

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Sarah k Alawami

Why not do cleanmgr /sageset / then cleanmgr /sagerun:1 as I do this all thet iem for my disk clean up. You can see many many hidden items that real disk clean up does not show you, and it sitll will not hurt your system. You do these from the run dialogue by the way.

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 21 Jan 2020, at 19:10, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

[...]

If you are a new user of NVDA and you have not tried surfing any websites the section in the user manual you will need to see is called browse mode it is section 6 also single letter navigation section 6.1 and the elements list 6.2 Plus I would start off with a easier type of website to navigate to get a idea of how they are layed out.

Those sections are found in the user manual use the nvda key + letter N to bring up the nvda menus then arrow down to help, then right to user manual then the press the enter key on that menu When the browser comes up then jump down by letter H for headings to those sections to read them.

I noticed the servers where my website was hosted were down so you could not access the website but seems to be up now.

The website of mine is easy to navigate you can jump around easily. the main page is setup in a table then after you go into a web page they are long pages but can be jumped through quickly by H for headings.

If you take a look you will know what I mean.

Gene nz

Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 10:20 PM

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Gene

Web surfing has become quite standardized among popular screen-readers.  If you already know how to surf with JAWS, you will find some instances where something is different, but almost everything is either the same or very similar.  In other words, you can do most or almost all you did in NVDA working with web sites as you could with JAWS without reading the material.

Because many people are reluctant to try other screen-readers, it is important to keep such things in mind so you can tell prospective users about how similar so much of what you do is between JAWS and NVDA.  And a lot of what is done, regardless of screen-reader, is using programs and Windows commands which remain the same whatever screen-reader is being used.

Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 10:20 PM

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Arlene

Sarah, When you run these things? Does it make your computer run faster after cleaning the hidden things in your computer?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

I was actually a WindowEyes user and was not a great web surfer with that unless the links led to what I was looking for directly.

Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 10:20 PM

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Gene

You may not want to learn more about using the Internet than the one site you mentioned.  If you do, there are tutorials and you may easily find instruction from someone that isn’t expensive.

I don’t know how your memory problems might affect your learning of how to browse.  If you learned a small number of concepts, web browsing might make far more sense than it may now.  There are about eight or ten commands that would make it efficient, though you could do well only learning two or three.

Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:34 PM

Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 10:20 PM

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Dale Leavens

Remember when doing disk maintainance that many modern computers now have fixed otherwise solid state discs which are not actually discs at all.  These should not be defragmented.  Defraging a physical hard disc will often improve speed of access but solid state memory has limited read/write cycles so defraging while it will rearrange files and file segments this involves rewriting parts of files to different parts of the memory therby ultimately shortening the life of the device.  Since the SSD isn’t actually moving the read/write time isn’t effected by defragmenting the memory.

Clean up old no longer used or orphaned files to improve the capacity of your disc memory but don’t defrag a fixed disc.

Cheers.

Dale Leavens
Cochrane Ontario Canada
.
Come visit our polar bears!

[...]

Roger Stewart

My computer doesn't even allow for defraging of SSD's. It does have an option called optimizing for those but still has De frag for regular drives.

Roger

On 1/22/2020 3:08 PM, Dale Leavens wrote:
[...]

Well that is one way to do it.
The issue is it searches for and clears everything on all drives and that may not be necessary unless your system and your accounts are on different drives.

I have a win7 system like this.

However, the easiest way to handle that is to.

1.  type disk in search.

right click disk cleanup and run as admin.

If you have 2 drives, you may find the second drive may not have that much on it.

On the os drive, the most important things that will take space are.

1.  windows update and device drivers especially for display drivers you have installed.

My amd has frequent updates for its drivers.

2.  windows installations.

Only do that if you are happy with your build though and want to kill them.

They will kill themselves within a 10 day period.

At least that was what it was when I last looked into that.

Saying that, if you have one of those dinkey tablets with little space, you will probably want to immediately delete that so you can put everything back.

I honestly don't know how people can use 16-32-64gb windows tablets.

a 128gb is minimal in my book but people do use them somehow and I have no idea how.

On 23/01/2020 6:36 am, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

David Ingram