Topics

showing underlines, bold and italic in word with nvda

Margus Ojaots

Hi. Is there any way to show formatting, like bold, italic,
underlines, etc in a word document?

Cecelia Rodriguez <cessbraille@...>

NVDA plus F

On Feb 4, 2020, at 7:35 AM, Margus Ojaots <margus.ojaots@...> wrote:

Hi. Is there any way to show formatting, like bold, italic,
underlines, etc in a word document?

Gene

Do you know how to use the NVDA menus and dialogs?  You can learn a lot about the program, including possibly useful features you wouldn't know about otherwise.  I'll tell you the shortcut method to get to the specific dialog you want but do you know how to look around in general?

If you look around, use cancel, not ok, when you are finished to make sure you didn't change something without intending to.

Use the command control NVDA d to open document formatting.  You will find, by tabbing around, a lot of settings for what can be displayed, or turned off.

Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 6:35 AM
Subject: [nvda] showing underlines, bold and italic in word with nvda

Hi. Is there any way to show formatting, like bold, italic,
underlines, etc in a word document?

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Cecelia & List:

Yes, use control plus I to toggle Italics on or off,
Control plus B toggles Bold on/off.
Control plus U toggles underline on/off.

Other accelerator keys are:

Control plus R for right justify.
Control plus L for left justify.
Control plus E for Center.
Control plus J for full justification. I think NVDA
can be configured to read text with these attributes in a different voice.

Word also has strike-out and red line attributes. When the author approves your changes, there is a generate function to delete the strike-outs, insert the red-lined text etc.
Brian K. Lingard
Hi. Is there any way to show formatting, like bold, italic?
underlines, etc. in a word document?

Quentin Christensen

Hi Marcus,

The answers given have provided the options for most variants of what you might be asking.  If any of those are new commands to you, I'd encourage you to consider purchasing the Basic Training for NVDA training module, which is available in electronic text, audio or braille from https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/  It is highly acclaimed, very reasonably priced and extremely comprehensive.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen