Topics

New member having issues with NVCA.

Connie Mohney <cmohney1961@...>

Good afternoon all,
My name is Connie.
My son and I downloaded NVDA yesterday. I thought we had saved a voice I
liked and could understand. Unfortunately we didn't. Could I have
assistance getting the voice back I can understand please? I need step by
step directions as I'm not familiar with this screen reader. Thank you in
advance for your responses.
Connie

Felix G.

Hi Connie,
from what you are describing, it seems you accidentally changed NVDA's
voice in such a way that it is now hard to understand. The easiest way
out of this situation is to reset NVDA to factory defaults.
To do this, please press and hold your ctrl and NVDA keys, then press
the letter r three times quickly.
In case you are wondering what your NVDA key is, it can be any of the following:
- Caps lock
- The insert key; the top left one in the three by two keys grid above
the arrow keys
- The numpad insert key; the large horizontal one on the bottom left
of the number pad
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Felix Grützmacher

Am Mi., 5. Feb. 2020 um 21:35 Uhr schrieb Connie Mohney <cmohney1961@...>:

Good afternoon all,
My name is Connie.
My son and I downloaded NVDA yesterday. I thought we had saved a voice I
liked and could understand. Unfortunately we didn't. Could I have
assistance getting the voice back I can understand please? I need step by
step directions as I'm not familiar with this screen reader. Thank you in
advance for your responses.
Connie

Gene

We don't know which voice it was.  Have you been using Eloquence?  If you want to use it, you can use a demo that runs for seven days.  You can then purchase it or not, as you wish.  There are a lot of free voices.  It appears you are not using Windows 10.  Windows 10 uses its own voices with NVDA by default that many people like.  If you are using E-Speak, the default voice not in Windows 10, you may well want to try other voices.  There are lots of free voices but, in the area of synthesized speech, if you pay nothing, you get poor quality.  it takes a very specialized team of experts to create good voices.

You may find and try whatever free voices you wish or demo voices here:

Download the voice, it usually is an add-on.
Use the command NVDA key n, by default, either insert is the NVDA key.  A menu will open.
Down arrow to tools and press enter.
Down arrow to Manage Add-ons and press enter.
A dialog opens.
Tab to the install button and press the space bar.
An open dialog will open.
Find the add-on, as you find a file you wich to open in a standard open dialog.  If you need more information, ask.
When you find the add-on, press enter and you will be asked if you wish to install it.  answer yes.
After it installs, you will be asked if you want to restart NVDA.  Use the appropriate button, I don't recall what it says.
NVDA will restart.
Switch to the synthesizer by issuing the command control insert s.  Find what you want in the list and press enter.  If you don't find it, ask here.

Press escape if you want to close the dialog without doing anything.  I'll tell you how to adjust the speed of the voice and make other changes in a later message, after you get the voice installed.

Also, before you do any of this, I would recommend changing the following setting to keep you from accidentally saving settings you don't want to save when you are just trying them out.  Set NVDA not to automatically save settings on exit.  That way, you can return to the old settings unless you want to save the new ones.  To do this, with NVDA running, use the command control insert g.  You may use either insert.
Tab, perhaps just once, to a check box that says save settings on exit.  It is checked.  Uncheck it with the space bar, then press enter  The dialog will close.

Now, if you change settings and you want to save them, use the command control insert c.  If you don't use this command, when you close NVDA and start it again, all the old settings will be used.
Use the command after you press enter.  In other words, uncheck the check box with the space bar, press enter, issue the command control insert c.  You will hear "Configuration saved," spoken.  You have just saved the setting you made.

Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 1:54 PM
Subject: [nvda] New member having issues with NVCA.

Good afternoon all,
My name is Connie.
My son and I downloaded NVDA yesterday.  I thought we had saved a voice I
liked and could understand.  Unfortunately we didn't.  Could I have
assistance getting the voice back I can understand please?  I need step by
step directions as I'm not familiar with this screen reader. Thank you in
advance for your responses.
Connie

Gene

By default, the only NVDA keys are either insert.  Unless you set NVDA to use other keys, none are available.

from what you are describing, it seems you accidentally changed NVDA's
voice in such a way that it is now hard to understand. The easiest way
out of this situation is to reset NVDA to factory defaults.
To do this, please press and hold your ctrl and NVDA keys, then press
the letter r three times quickly.
In case you are wondering what your NVDA key is, it can be any of the following:
- Caps lock
- The insert key; the top left one in the three by two keys grid above
the arrow keys
- The numpad insert key; the large horizontal one on the bottom left
of the number pad
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Felix Grützmacher

Am Mi., 5. Feb. 2020 um 21:35 Uhr schrieb Connie Mohney <cmohney1961@...>:

> Good afternoon all,
> My name is Connie.
> My son and I downloaded NVDA yesterday.  I thought we had saved a voice I
> liked and could understand.  Unfortunately we didn't.  Could I have
> assistance getting the voice back I can understand please?  I need step by
> step directions as I'm not familiar with this screen reader. Thank you in
> advance for your responses.
> Connie

Arlene

Well I’ll be! Windows ten has its own voices for NVDA?  I actually like them.  They’re not all that bad if you don’t mind me saying so!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 1:54 PM

Good afternoon all,
My name is Connie.
My son and I downloaded NVDA yesterday.  I thought we had saved a voice I
liked and could understand.  Unfortunately we didn't.  Could I have
assistance getting the voice back I can understand please?  I need step by
step directions as I'm not familiar with this screen reader. Thank you in
advance for your responses.
Connie

Well for voices they are quite good.

There are issues with speed etc but yeah, they are a lot better than the old microsoft sam mary and mike voices, and certainly a lot better than anna.

It does help you can load all languages independant of language via narator voice.

It even has brltty support via brltty to be installable.

Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 1:54 PM

Good afternoon all,
My name is Connie.
My son and I downloaded NVDA yesterday.  I thought we had saved a voice I
liked and could understand.  Unfortunately we didn't.  Could I have
assistance getting the voice back I can understand please?  I need step by
step directions as I'm not familiar with this screen reader. Thank you in
advance for your responses.
Connie

Gene

It doesn't have its own voices specifically for NVDA.  NVDA uses the Windows 10 voices, the voices that come with Windows 10, by default if you are using Windows 10.

Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 1:54 PM

Good afternoon all,
My name is Connie.
My son and I downloaded NVDA yesterday.  I thought we had saved a voice I
liked and could understand.  Unfortunately we didn't.  Could I have
assistance getting the voice back I can understand please?  I need step by
step directions as I'm not familiar with this screen reader. Thank you in
advance for your responses.
Connie

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Connie

I am guessing nvda has been installed to your computer so when you downloaded the file and clicked on it you chose the first option to install to your computer.

If you have not used nvda before it is the alt key + ctrl key + the letter N to start your copy of nvda.

To get into your preferences of nvda where you can make changes like speed etc use the nvda key + the letter N

To quit your copy of nvda use the nvda key + the letter Q

If nvda is running you can quickly get to the voice settings by useing the following keys combo nvda key + ctrl key + the letter V

The first option will be for the synth package under windows 10 the default is e speak and windows 10 default is windows one core voices. There is a change button just under neath cclick on it it is a combo box and see what is there if one core is there pick it It will then default back to the menu and you can then go down the list like voice you can pick a voice it is a combo box again but it will be on the package how many there are there.

Pick one that is nice to listen to.

There other option under that will be speed it is a slider use the left and right arrow keys to speed  up or slow down nvda The left arrow keys is slower and the right is faster.

You can then go down to apply and ok button and click on them.

You might as well see under the synths section what other packages are there you might like but it will be the section under neath on the voice settings where you can hear some of those voices.

Any how if you are interested I have put together a website called accessibilitycentral.net which can be found at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

It will help you to use nvda this is more for a desk top user as most people are.

By the way I forgot to mention the nvda key depending which one you chose can be the insert key, the extended insert key or the caps lock key. Use one that you chose say to quit nvda for example insert key + the letter Q.

hope this helps

Gene nz

On 6/02/2020 8:54 am, Connie Mohney wrote:
Good afternoon all,
My name is Connie.
My son and I downloaded NVDA yesterday. I thought we had saved a voice I
liked and could understand. Unfortunately we didn't. Could I have
assistance getting the voice back I can understand please? I need step by
step directions as I'm not familiar with this screen reader. Thank you in
advance for your responses.
Connie

Arlene

Hi, I am using windows ten. Liking it too.

Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 1:54 PM

Good afternoon all,
My name is Connie.
My son and I downloaded NVDA yesterday.  I thought we had saved a voice I
liked and could understand.  Unfortunately we didn't.  Could I have
assistance getting the voice back I can understand please?  I need step by
step directions as I'm not familiar with this screen reader. Thank you in
advance for your responses.
Connie

Connie Mohney <cmohney1961@...>

Thank you very much Gene. Your information is very helpful. I have created a NVDA folder so I can refer to it later if I need to.
[...]

is it his first time using a screen reader? as most people who are screen reader users do not use a mouse and navigate the computer differently.

Using the tab and shift tab keys, arrow keys the alt keys etc

The best place to start if he is a new screen reader user as not used one before is up on the web site given is a page called nvda tutorials learning the basics and will help in what to do.

I forgot to say also when you use the nvda key + letter N under the help section then user guide is where they would find shortcuts for both desk top and lap top users.

There is alot of info on the web site both in written and audio that will help in learning nvda.

Gene nz

On 6/02/2020 1:40 pm, Connie Mohney wrote:

[...]

Hi,
I would like to thank everyone for your responses and info. I'm going to keep it for reference. Thank you again.

Sent from Connie's iPhone 8.