From: Gene
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2020 4:41 AM
Subject: Serious problems with the latest Windows 10 update

I'm posting this message here because it appears to be something very important for Windows 10 users to know.

Here we go again.  Another bad Windows update.  This article says you can solve the problems it causes by uninstalling the update but if it disables your sound, for blind users this could be far more trouble than for a sighted user.  The article doesn't say whether USB sound cards might work.  I hope so.

I've said before that I think people should wait for two or three days before installing Windows updates to see if they are safe.  Here is one more reason why.

Gene

Jason White

I didn’t encounter any problem – audio-related or otherwise - with the very latest (optional) Windows 10 1909 update after installing it. So, for my hardware, a Lenovo ThinkPad P51 laptop, it’s fine. The situation may be different for some other hardware.

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Gene <gsasner@...>
Date: Sunday, February 9, 2020 at 05:41
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

I'm posting this message here because it appears to be something very important for Windows 10 users to know.

Here we go again.  Another bad Windows update.  This article says you can solve the problems it causes by uninstalling the update but if it disables your sound, for blind users this could be far more trouble than for a sighted user.  The article doesn't say whether USB sound cards might work.  I hope so.

I've said before that I think people should wait for two or three days before installing Windows updates to see if they are safe.  Here is one more reason why.

Gene

Gene is correct that this is an optional update and it does not install unless you activate the Download and install link on the Windows Update pane.

I have also found that Kim Komando is far from the most reliable source on anything Windows related.  She's wrong as much, or more, as she's right, so consider the source.

       ~ Madonna

Gene

I checked the article with two other sources and they both stated the same things with additional information.  One source said that many people aren't affected but for those who are affected, there are a wide variety of possible problems and loss of audio is one.  I wouldn't be surprised if a USB sound card would work but why take chances on that or a large number of other possible bugs occurring?
and

Regarding Kim Komando's accuracy, I find oversimplifications and exaggerations at times, but I find most information to be either accurate or reasonably so.

Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2020 9:23 AM

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 01:01 PM, Gene wrote:
One source said that many people aren't affected
And, to me, that's the key point.  So long as that's reported, and the problems that have occurred are accurately reported, it's worth considering.  The problem with most of these sorts of reports is that they omit that the folks affected are, essentially, outliers on the bell curve and, though the root cause is not yet known, it's most likely something idiosyncratic about their systems, not Windows itself.   Truly "bad updates" cause issues for the majority, if not all, users.  When that occurs, you can be assured that Microsoft has messed up; when it doesn't, and it's a very small number among the embedded base, you can almost (not absolutely, but almost) be assured it's not Microsoft that's messed up.   Having been in this business as long as I have, and doing repair as my main line of work, I have seen time and again systems that have not had even the slightest bit of care and maintenance become houses of cards that, eventually, will collapse because of that, not because there was anything at all wrong with the "card" that finally triggered the collapse.

With regard to Ms. Komando, it's her exaggerations in particular, which are characteristic of most of her reporting, that I find particularly troubling.  She makes mountains out of molehills with shocking regularity.  That serves no one, I find.

       ~ Madonna

Gene

I wouldn't take a chance on this update, based on information in this article.

Here is a quote:

It’s now become apparent that the Windows 10 KB4532695 update has also introduced other serious problems, with Windows Latest reporting that users are complaining that as soon as they’ve installed the update, the sound stops working on their PC.
According to Windows Latest, one user on Microsoft’s community forum complained that “I installed the update Saturday afternoon and immediately the sound stopped working,” with Windows 10 now not recognising their speakers.
Not only is that incredibly annoying, but, rather worryingly, it seems the problem didn’t go away once the user uninstalled the update - and it even persisted after they performed a full reinstall

I don't think that problems that are widespread enough to receive the degree of attention this update has can be blamed, for the most part on user neglect or error.  True, this article says for some users.  How many is that?  I would imagine in beta testing, many bugs affect a minority of users, but they are real and are fixed.

Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2020 9:23 AM

Gene is correct that this is an optional update and it does not install unless you activate the Download and install link on the Windows Update pane.

I have also found that Kim Komando is far from the most reliable source on anything Windows related.  She's wrong as much, or more, as she's right, so consider the source.

       ~ Madonna

Jackie

&, of course, while sound isn't absolutely critical for the majority
of users, it is beyond essential for those who rely on a screen
reader. & if you're blind & 1 of the small minority of users affected,
you're nonetheless hugetime screwed. Problem is, you can't generally
turn off these updates. Best you can do is perhaps stave it off until
another one comes down the pike. Since no one at this juncture seems
to know what causes some machines to experience difficulties & not
others, caution might be the wisest course until the issue is
resolved.

It's for this very reason that I always try to keep a USB audio device
around, in hopes that if sound goes kaflooy for the internal audio
device, maybe an external 1 won't be affected.

https://www.techradar.com/news/yet-another-windows-10-fail-as-new-update-breaks-the-internet-heres-how-to-fix-it

[...]

https://www.techradar.com/news/new-windows-10-patch-is-the-latest-to-cause-more-problems-than-it-solves
and
https://fossbytes.com/microsoft-delivers-fresh-set-of-bugs-in-new-windows-10-update/

Regarding Kim Komando's accuracy, I find oversimplifications and
exaggerations at times, but I find most information to be either accurate or
reasonably so.

Gene is correct that this is an optional update and it does not install
unless you activate the Download and install link on the Windows Update
pane.

I have also found that Kim Komando is far from the most reliable source on
anything Windows related. She's wrong as much, or more, as she's right, so
consider the source.

~ Madonna

Also, see this article.
Here is a brief excerpt.

The problematic update, which was released in late January, is now breaking down even more PCs and causing performance issues.
KB4532695 causes BSOD, boot failure and system slowdown
Initially, it appeared that Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) is only hitting a small set of computers, but the problem appears to be widespread now.
Several users in our comment section and Microsoft’s forum are pointing the blame at KB4532695 for a Blue Screen of Death (complete crash of the PC) with a critical error message and different stop codes.

Users are now also reporting a complete boot failure and significant performance slowdown, which suggests that there are some very nasty gremlins in the works.

Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2020 9:23 AM

Gene is correct that this is an optional update and it does not install unless you activate the Download and install link on the Windows Update pane.

I have also found that Kim Komando is far from the most reliable source on anything Windows related.  She's wrong as much, or more, as she's right, so consider the source.

       ~ Madonna

I'm not suggesting that anyone install an optional update on a perfectly functioning system if they do not wish to.

But, still, all indications are the issues are occurring for a small minority of users and, if you installed the update and didn't get them pretty promptly, the probability of issues developing is low.

If you haven't installed it I wouldn't.  If you have, and have not had issues, it's not worth worrying about, and I would not suggest removing the update.

       ~ Madonna

Hmmm some of the updates just apply I have also heard the same issue from issues with sound to connection.

I have noticed the network being slower issue at times, however at the same time its actually improved my network performance in the fact that before the update, my laptop would start then wait 5 minutes to connect to the net on my realtech card, and now when it starts its like 10 seconds.

As for it failing like that, little a blind person can actually do by themselves bar reinstalling from scratch.

I have not had that issue just yet and hope I never do.

It mustn't be on every computer because none of my systems have it.

Then again how trustworthy is the commando site since I have heard reports from some places saying it aint that trustworthy.

On 9/02/2020 11:41 pm, Gene wrote:
I'm posting this message here because it appears to be something very important for Windows 10 users to know.

Here we go again.  Another bad Windows update.  This article says you can solve the problems it causes by uninstalling the update but if it disables your sound, for blind users this could be far more trouble than for a sighted user.  The article doesn't say whether USB sound cards might work.  I hope so.

I've said before that I think people should wait for two or three days before installing Windows updates to see if they are safe.  Here is one more reason why.

Gene

Hmmm well it must be intermittant.

After searching the official channels, there are a couple articles on this if I search for it, not much good for us blind people other than a reformat however a user with the issue said that after reformatting and reinstalling still got the same result, it does start me wandering about things.

I usually update things when they come out, the critical ones will do after a bit anyway.

This is probably going to lead people to disable windows update completely or even worse not update to win10 and just use 7 or xp or something.

This doesn't improve any of microsofts reputation any.

We have the insider program but it doesn't seem to have worked this time.

I never had this issue and neither do my friends and family so it must be a few different configurations.

Its good it aint a critical update but still.

On 9/02/2020 11:48 pm, Gene wrote:
I've done a little more checking and this is an optional update, so it won't automatically install.

Gene

I'm posting this message here because it appears to be something very important for Windows 10 users to know.

Here we go again.  Another bad Windows update.  This article says you can solve the problems it causes by uninstalling the update but if it disables your sound, for blind users this could be far more trouble than for a sighted user.  The article doesn't say whether USB sound cards might work.  I hope so.

I've said before that I think people should wait for two or three days before installing Windows updates to see if they are safe.  Here is one more reason why.

Gene

I agree.

I found 2 articles on the update when I previously searched for it so like a lot of the issues these seem to be a few configurations.

Now there are probably a few that don't work right and I am sure microsoft will actually fix these when it can may have allready fixed it.

There is a full update in a couple days, and maybe they will have more to announce then.

On 10/02/2020 4:23 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
Gene is correct that this is an optional update and it does not install unless you activate the Download and install link on the Windows Update pane.

I have also found that Kim Komando is far from the most reliable source on anything Windows related.  She's wrong as much, or more, as she's right, so consider the source.

       ~ Madonna

Gerardo Corripio

What update version are  we talking about? As we speak, I’m running Windows 10Ver1909 (64 bits) build 18363.592, and I haven’t had any sort of problems.

Let’s say that the update that’s causing problems for people as mentioned in the article, I never install it, preferring to wait for the next one. What’llhappen then? Is Windows10 like iOS or Android that it installs the latest update skipping others before it?

                                                                                              Enviado desde Correo para Windows 10

[...]

It is an optional update.  it won't install unless you install it.  I don't know what messages you have from the thread.  I sent links to two articles or maybe three, that discuss the update by name.

Let us know if you don't have the messages.

Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2020 5:47 PM

[...]

Well if you havn't installed the optional, I'd wait for a couple days.

Its getting close to patch tuesday and that update is about to get overridden.

Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2020 5:47 PM

[...]

See this article to get an explanation of why Windows updates have caused so much trouble.

Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2020 5:47 PM

[...]

Dale Leavens

Did you mean to send a spanish link?

That’s all I could get.

Cheers.

Dale Leavens
Cochrane Ontario Canada
.
Come visit our polar bears!

Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2020 5:47 PM

[...]

Arlene

, you can uninstall the update. You just go into your windows update history. You’ll find it there.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2020 9:23 AM

Gene is correct that this is an optional update and it does not install unless you activate the Download and install link on the Windows Update pane.

I have also found that Kim Komando is far from the most reliable source on anything Windows related.  She's wrong as much, or more, as she's right, so consider the source.

       ~ Madonna

Gene

If you saw the article in Spanish, that is evidently because you have automatic language detection on in NVDA and the page may be incorrectly tagged.  it is in English.  I don't use automatic language detection.  I'll let those who use it and know more about it discuss it further.

Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2020 5:47 PM