Relating to NVDA 2019.3.1

Dejan Ristic

Hi,

I installed the stable NVDA 2019.3 version. When I restarted the machine, I found the version number from the subject line, that's to say, 2019.3.1. My decision is not to install it till I've been told to by those who can tell so.

Note:

I use Windows 7 operating system.

Note 2

I've checked all the mail messages, and found that none of them says a word relating to 2019.3.1. Due to the fact that I've been using NVDA for a longer period of time, let me suppose that this may be a minor version addressing some bug fixes.

Dejan

Roger Stewart

Apparently March 2019 is equal to NVDA 2019.3 which is the correct version.  I found this very confusing but maybe the first beta came out last March or something. Anyhow, go ahead and get that version and you'll really have 2019.3.
Roger

On 2/10/2020 1:09 PM, Dejan Ristic wrote:
Hi,

I installed the stable NVDA 2019.3 version. When I restarted the machine, I found the version number from the subject line, that's to say, 2019.3.1. My decision is not to install it till I've been told to by those who can tell so.

Note:

I use Windows 7 operating system.

Note 2

I've checked all the mail messages, and found that none of them says a word relating to 2019.3.1. Due to the fact that I've been using NVDA for a longer period of time, let me suppose that this may be a minor version addressing some bug fixes.

Dejan

Jackie

I don't think it's compatible w/windows 7. Having said thus, Dejan,
you're just asking for trouble using win7 now.

On 2/10/20, Roger Stewart <paganus2@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I see no reason it wouldn't be compatible with Windows 7.  The programming language has been updated, but that is an internal change and I don't think it would affect compatibility.  Also, you would expect that announcements would have been made about a lack of compatibility.  When NVDA became incompatible with XP, it was discussed here.

On 2/10/20, Roger Stewart <paganus2@...> wrote:
> Apparently March 2019 is equal to NVDA 2019.3 which is the correct
> version.  I found this very confusing but maybe the first beta came out
> last March or something. Anyhow, go ahead and get that version and
> you'll really have 2019.3.
> Roger
>

> On 2/10/2020 1:09 PM, Dejan Ristic wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I installed the stable NVDA 2019.3 version. When I restarted the
>> machine, I found the version number from the subject line, that's to
>> say, 2019.3.1. My decision is not to install it till I've been told to
>> by those who can tell so.
>>

>> Note:
>>

>> I use Windows 7 operating system.
>>
>> Note 2
>>

>> I've checked all the mail messages, and found that none of them says a
>> word relating to 2019.3.1. Due to the fact that I've been using NVDA
>> for a longer period of time, let me suppose that this may be a minor
>> version addressing some bug fixes.
>>

>> Dejan

Patrick ZAJDA

Hello,

NVDA 2019.3.1 fixes an issue with translations.

It is compatible with Windows 7, changes are the same as NVDA 2019.3 except translations were not complete on NVDA 2019.3 and are OK on NVDA 2019.3.1.

Hop this helps,

Patrick

Le 10/02/2020 à 21:35, Gene a écrit :
I see no reason it wouldn't be compatible with Windows 7.  The programming language has been updated, but that is an internal change and I don't think it would affect compatibility.  Also, you would expect that announcements would have been made about a lack of compatibility.  When NVDA became incompatible with XP, it was discussed here.

I don't think it's compatible w/windows 7. Having said thus, Dejan,
you're just asking for trouble using win7 now.

On 2/10/20, Roger Stewart <paganus2@...> wrote:
> Apparently March 2019 is equal to NVDA 2019.3 which is the correct
> version.  I found this very confusing but maybe the first beta came out
> last March or something. Anyhow, go ahead and get that version and
> you'll really have 2019.3.
> Roger
>

> On 2/10/2020 1:09 PM, Dejan Ristic wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I installed the stable NVDA 2019.3 version. When I restarted the
>> machine, I found the version number from the subject line, that's to
>> say, 2019.3.1. My decision is not to install it till I've been told to
>> by those who can tell so.
>>

>> Note:
>>

>> I use Windows 7 operating system.
>>
>> Note 2
>>

>> I've checked all the mail messages, and found that none of them says a
>> word relating to 2019.3.1. Due to the fact that I've been using NVDA
>> for a longer period of time, let me suppose that this may be a minor
>> version addressing some bug fixes.
>>

>> Dejan

Patrick ZAJDA

I noticed that 2019.3.1 is not in the whatsnew changelog.

On 11/02/2020 9:01 am, Roger Stewart wrote:
[...]

.

Hi,
2019.3.1 includes translation updates that weren't included in 2019.3.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

I seem to have noticed it, too. That's why I made an enquiry into it.

On 10/02/2020 21:53, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Quentin Christensen

I think most of the questions from this thread have been answered - but to summarise:

- NVDA 2019.3.1 works on Windows 7.  We have no plans of stopping support for Windows 7, although we would encourage everyone to consider moving to a newer version of Windows which is supported by Microsoft.

- 2019.3.1 includes some language translation fixes which were inadvertently missed in the original 2019.3 release.

- The name means "2019" (a release in 2019 - ok it's 2020 now but as per the notes in In-Process https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-16th-january/ we kept the name to avoid confusion), "3" as in the third major release of 2019 (following on from 2019.2) and "1" is a minor or "point release" to fix a specific issue (the language strings in this case).  Some synthesizers read 2019.3.1 as 1st March 2019, but that is not what it is supposed to mean.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen