Topics

NVDA with Password

Dave Grossoehme

Good Morning:  With the February first version of NVDA you could hear a blank if you went past the beginning of the stars in your password field.  This is the field for when signing into the computer that I'm referring to.  With the new version you hear nothing and it's like you can't go any farther back.  This blank help to know when you are at the beginning of the field.  How does anyone else feel about this?  This word of blank help me know that I'm at the beginning of the field especially if a mistake had been made.  This tells me that I can start again to enter my information.  As it is now with an insiders version of windows 64 bit addition of 2004 it might be different than anyone else.

Dave

Sarah k Alawami

Why not just hit home to go to the begiign of the field? Or select all and retype? I personally do not see an issue here, and I actually never knew it did that as I usually don't mess up when typing my password that requires i stand on my head. Lol!

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 11 Feb 2020, at 8:08, Dave Grossoehme wrote:

Good Morning:  With the February first version of NVDA you could hear a blank if you went past the beginning of the stars in your password field.  This is the field for when signing into the computer that I'm referring to.  With the new version you hear nothing and it's like you can't go any farther back.  This blank help to know when you are at the beginning of the field.  How does anyone else feel about this?  This word of blank help me know that I'm at the beginning of the field especially if a mistake had been made.  This tells me that I can start again to enter my information.  As it is now with an insiders version of windows 64 bit addition of 2004 it might be different than anyone else.

Dave

Dave Grossoehme

Good Morning:  If you press the enter key on your login password and it isn't correct, you will receive an error.  You will have to the microsoft web site to receive a key.  They call this a code, which will be sent to you.  You have to go to your information and enter the code to correct.  Otherwise you will receive an error that your password isn't correct everytime you login to the computer. or your account.  If you have the computer set to login to your account you may not even able to sign into your account depending on how the account is set up in the computer.  This is why I ask for other peoples ideas here.

Dave

On 2/11/2020 10:29 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

Odd? I've never ben asked for a key in all the years I've used the microsoft account which is I believe since 2016 or so..

Hopefully that doesn't have to happen to me.

On 11 Feb 2020, at 10:22, Dave Grossoehme wrote:

[...]

Quentin Christensen

I must admit I hadn't paid attention to this, but I don't think you should hear "blank" when moving to the start of a piece of text.  If you move the caret to the start of a field with text in it, NVDA should report the first character (the character to the right of the caret).  If you are in a password field, NVDA should report "star" instead of the character.

Just testing this now, NVDA 2019.2.1 seems to behave exactly the same for me?  As in, I don't get "blank" at the start of the password field, unless the field itself is blank.

Also, 2019.2.1 is a minor ".1" point release of the second main version of 2019, not February first, although I know Eloquence at least reads it like a date.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Dave Grossoehme

Good Day:  In February first if I backspaced out of the password field I would hear a blank for when you are at the beginning of the field.  Then the stars would start.  With March 1 if you make this same procedure you don't hear anything at all.  If you move forward you will hear the stars spoken.  It's like the backspace key would place you a character before the password field in your sign in location.

Dave