Topics

Youtube - how to navigate

Sarah k Alawami

All yuou need to do is to navigate in the tool bar and choose the speed option. If all of tha todayoes not work, use lbry, as their player is very very accessiblre and the platform is decentralised. I don't use youtube anymore as I want content freedom

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 13 Feb 2020, at 0:39, Ian Blackburn wrote:

Thank you for all of that but I want to learn how to speed up the playback of YouTube videos using NVDA
Are used to put them into VLC media player But if the YouTube is part of a playlist VLC media player no longer seems to play it
I liked that player because I could speed up and slow down the playback pause and do all sorts of media type things with the video Stream
I’ll talk to sighted people and they say that there is a way of doing that on the normal YouTube videos screen that comes up But I haven’t yet worked out how to do it with NVDA by the way I’m using Mozilla Firefox And Windows 10 with all updates applied
Kind regards Ian

On 13 Feb 2020, at 4:15 pm, Easwaran Chinraj <easwarchinraj@...> wrote:

Dear sir,
First of all my apologies for my mistakeful English. I am using Youtube daily. So, please read the following fully.

If you feel the following is confusing, I have mentioned the very very basic style of navigation at the bottom of this reply which I was used when I was started to use YouTube with NVDA.

Open a browser and press Ctrl + L and type or copy and paste the below url.

youtube.com/feed/subscriptions

and press enter key. It will open the subscriptions page to see the videos from the channels you have subscribed.

After the page loads, press D until you hear Main Landmark Today Heading Level 2

This puts you in the main part of the webpage.

Then pressing 3 key will help you to read the title of the first video and again pressing 3 key will read the next and so on. Pressing Shift + 3 will work in vice versa (reverse).

After moving the navigation to the video you like, press space bar key or Enter key to play the video. A new page is loaded and the selected video will start to play in the next page.

The Title of the video which is currently playing will be in Heading 1 level. So, pressing 1 or Shift + 1 will tells you the current playing video's title.

To jump to the current playing video's player controls, press D or Shift +d until NVDA says Main Landmark. Then pressing the tab key will change the controls to the slider, pause, mute, next, settings, etc. Shift + tab for moving vice versa. (Or B key to navigate by buttons such as play, pause, next, mute, etc.)

You said "When watching a video in Youtube, she used to move the mouse to the videos listed on the right side of the Youtube page and click on the mouse, to go to the next or another video. NVDA would read the content of the videos...".

For that see the following:
Pressing 3 will tell the title of the suggested videos (which is on the right side) one by one. Shift + 3 for vice versa.

Pressing Enter or Space bar will play that video.

If you feel the above was confusing, simply press H key or Shift + H key to navigate by headings (video titles). D or Shift D for Landmarks, B or Shift B for buttons such as play, pause, action, like, dislike etc.

Hope I haven't confused you much and I hope it will surely help you.

If you have any other questions, feel free to reply me (your brother). Thank you sir.

With affection
Easwar Chinraj

Gene

I've looked at this after not having done so for a long time.  I don't know how it is for sighted person, but for a blind person, having two settings buttons is just plain bad design.  You can change speeds, though.
Start something playing.
Move to the top of the page.
Press b for button.  If the volume is too loud, listen for a pause button and press the space bar.
Whether you pause play or not, continue to down arrow.  Don't work with the button that just says settings.  Continue to press b until you get to a button that says submenu settings.
Press the space bar to open the submenu.
Down arrow until you get to a button that says play speed.  Press the space bar on that button.
Now, continuing to down arrow will show you the options.  there are buttons for different speeds.  Press the space bar on the one you want.

In other words, in the now commmon fanatical quest to save screen space and make everything as small as possible, you have to expand item after item to get to what you want.  Everything, no matter how inconvenient, must change to accommodate the small screens of portable devices, no matter how many things you have to expand to get to what you want.

Also, don't worry about whether you hear expanded in this area.  Everything or almost everything says expanded whether it is or not.  If you haven't expanded something and it shoule be because you don't see what you should in this area, expand it.

find the button that says settings and press the space bar.  You will see controls for speeding up the video.  I haven't done this for a long time but that is how it was and it likely still is.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 2:39 AM

[...]

Easwaran Chinraj

Dear sir,
I never used VLC player before for YouTube Videos. But I know how to change the playback speed in Browser.

When a YouTube video is playing in the browser, press D or Shift + D until you hear Main Landmark Clickable Complementary Landmark.

Then press tab until NVDA says Seek Slider and says the time of the video which is playing. For example

Seek slider slider 3 minutes 14 seconds of 12 minutes 57 seconds

Now press Shift + > to increase the playback speed and Shift + < to decrease the playback speed.

And arrow keys to skip the video forward and backward.

Pressing the Escape key will move the NVDA Navigation controls out of the Seek slider.

Reading this will confuse you a lot. So, do the above steps one by one while reading.

Or an alternate method:
Note: The first method is the easiest one.
When a video is playing, press D or Shift + D until NVDA says Main LandMark Clickable Complementry Landmark.

Then press the B key until you hear

Settings Menu Button Submenu Settings

Now press Space bar key or Enter. A menu will open.

Press Down arrow key or Up arrow key to navigate the menu until you hear

Playback speed Normal submenu 3 of 5

Now press Right arrow key to open the menu and press Up or Down arrow keys to select the desired playback speed and press Enter key. This will change the video playback speed.

After changing the playback speed press Escape key to close the settings menu.

Hope you will understand. (Because I am not fluent in English).

If you have any questions, feel free to reply me (your brother). Thank you sir.

With affection
Easwar Chinraj

Ian Blackburn

[...]

Reinaldo Alves

Hi Ralf, I do appreciate your response. That works now !

I really tried to find these, she will be happy !

thanks,

Reinaldo

Em qua., 12 de fev. de 2020 às 16:54, Ralf Kefferpuetz <ralf.kefferpuetz@...> escreveu:

When you open youtube with a video following hotkeys are valid, but sure you go in focus mode when you enter the pade with NVDA-space:

K – stops/starts the video

F – go to full screen or back to normal screen

Shift-n – go to the next video

Shift-v – go to the previous video

Arrow up and down – raise or lower the youtube volume

There are some other hotkeys and you can find them by entering “shortcuts youtube” in google. Don’t forget they only work when in focus mode.

Cheers,

  Ralf