Topics

Restoring default speech dictionary and symbol pronunciation?

Luke Robinett

Ah, perfect. So nvda will automatically generate these files if I delete them. Good to know. Thanks folks

On Feb 12, 2020, at 7:05 PM, Andre Fisher <andrefisher729@...> wrote:

Hi.

There is an option in the Symbol Pronunciation dialog to restore to defaults. It doesn't exist for speech dictionaries, though.

Andre Fisher

Hi.

There is an option in the Symbol Pronunciation dialog to restore to defaults. It doesn't exist for speech dictionaries, though.

Tyler Spivey

First, find your user config directory.
To get there, go to Run (windows+r) and type:
%appdata%\nvda
if you have an installed version, or find userconfig if portable.

Now, I'll explain what's what.
In there you have speechDicts. Delete that and your speech dictionaries go away, or you can go in there and delete individual ones for voices or the like.
The other file in here important in this case is symbols-en.dic. These are symbols for English. Delete that and they'll be reset.

Restart NVDA after you do this.

There really should be an option in NVDA to reset both of these, but there isn't.

On 2/12/2020 6:41 PM, Luke Robinett wrote:
Hi, I have looked around online and tried some experimenting but I can’t seem to figure this out. To make a long story short, over the years I’ve kind of messed up my symbol pronunciation and speech dictionaries and want to just start over with both of them. Is there any way to do this short of completely re-installing NVDA and losing all my other custom settings?

Gene

You can delete all the  speech dictionary files.  There is a folder called speechDicts.  In my portable version, it is in the userConfig folder.  It may be in that folder in the installed version as well.  Open the folder and delete all the files.

I don't know how you reset symbol pronounciation to the defaults.

Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 8:41 PM
Subject: [nvda] Restoring default speech dictionary and symbol pronunciation?