Topics

the edward voice

Bobby Vinton

Hay I was wondering if if you could please bring back the Edward voice to nvda?  I love it so much and I am very sad that speech player and espeek is gone.  I have requested this 4 months ago and nothing was done.  So could you please add the Edward voice in nvda it self?

Quentin Christensen

Speech player is somewhat dusty on the back shelf, but eSpeak NG certainly still exists in NVDA.  If you install NVDA from scratch on a Windows 10 computer, it will use OneCore by default.  Press NVDA+control+v to open the voice settings.  Tab to the "change' (synthesizer) button and press ENTER.  Then, press HOME or the arrow keys to find eSpeak-NG and ENTER.  Next, TAB to the variant and select Ed from the list.  Is that the one your were after?

I'm not sure whether NV Speech player will be updated.  If there is anyone who is eager to update it and has the ability and interest to maintain it, let me know. (I'm not sure exactly what Mick wants to do with it yet, but if someone is interested, we can start the dialog).

Regards

Quentin.
Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Bobby Vinton

no it wasn't it was Edward not edd.

[...]

Jacob Kruger

Along the lines of the discussion on the list...

All I did was install a portable copy of NVDA 2019.2.1, and, install the speechPlayerInEspeak add-on under it.

Then, under that portable copy installation, I browsed to the following relative path:

\userConfig\addons\speechPlayerInEspeak\synthDrivers\espeak-data\voices\!v

From there, I copied the file called edward over to the following path, which falls under my actual installed copy of NVDA 2019.3 rc1:
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVDA\synthDrivers\espeak-ng-data\voices\!v

It did prompt me to continue with administrator privileges when trying to copy the file under program files, but, that's standard.

Anyway, when I now select the eSpeak-NG synthesizer, I can now select the edward variant from the list.

Now, I still myself prefer the normal eSpeak-NG gene variant, but, HTH

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA