Topics

MP3 Direct Cut Chattering too Much with NVDA Add-On

Rich DeSteno

I just changed computers to Windows 10 and installed MP3 Direct Cut version 2.28 with the NVDDA add-on 19.12 from the NVDA add-on page.  Unlike my previous setup, this add-on chatters constantly with updates of the time elapsed as the MP3 plays.  It sounds like it announces the time every second, which of course, is way too often.  How do I silence this aspect of the add-on?

--
Rich De Steno

Have you looked in the Help (NVDA+H) for the Add-On or its settings & configuration panel?

       ~ Madonna

That should have been, "Looked at its configuration in the NVDA settings panel," which is where they appear to have been subsumed since NVDA 2018.2

       ~ Madonna

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Maybe under object navigation menu then back ground Report background progress bars.

or maybe also with shortcut nvda and U toogle to off.

Gene nz

On 18/02/2020 6:29 am, Rich DeSteno wrote:
I just changed computers to Windows 10 and installed MP3 Direct Cut version 2.28 with the NVDDA add-on 19.12 from the NVDA add-on page.  Unlike my previous setup, this add-on chatters constantly with updates of the time elapsed as the MP3 plays.  It sounds like it announces the time every second, which of course, is way too often.  How do I silence this aspect of the add-on?

Gene

I really doubt it.  Context is important.  The person said this didn't happen with the previous version of the add-on.  The setting about background progress bars is off by default.  Also, this isn't a progress bar.  it’s a display showing the amount of elapsed time, displaying numbers as changing times, as I said not a progress bar.  the add-on is speaking every change of time is this display.

Sent: Monday, February 17, 2020 1:25 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] MP3 Direct Cut Chattering too Much with NVDA Add-On

Hi

Maybe under object navigation menu then back ground Report background
progress bars.

or maybe also with shortcut nvda and U toogle to off.

Gene nz

On 18/02/2020 6:29 am, Rich DeSteno wrote:
> I just changed computers to Windows 10 and installed MP3 Direct Cut
> version 2.28 with the NVDDA add-on 19.12 from the NVDA add-on page.
> Unlike my previous setup, this add-on chatters constantly with updates
> of the time elapsed as the MP3 plays.  It sounds like it announces the
> time every second, which of course, is way too often.  How do I
> silence this aspect of the add-on?

Roger Stewart

I just tried mp3 Direct Cut using the latest nvda and the latest add on.  I'm not experiencing anything like this. It doesn't make a sound at all while just playing a file. It doesn't speak every second or anything else unless I stop it and then it tells me where I am as it has always done.
Roger

Sent: Monday, February 17, 2020 1:25 PM

Hi

Maybe under object navigation menu then back ground Report background
progress bars.

or maybe also with shortcut nvda and U toogle to off.

Gene nz

On 18/02/2020 6:29 am, Rich DeSteno wrote:
> I just changed computers to Windows 10 and installed MP3 Direct Cut
> version 2.28 with the NVDDA add-on 19.12 from the NVDA add-on page.
> Unlike my previous setup, this add-on chatters constantly with updates
> of the time elapsed as the MP3 plays.  It sounds like it announces the
> time every second, which of course, is way too often.  How do I
> silence this aspect of the add-on?

Rich DeSteno

The answer to the mystery of why I have been getting constant chatter of the time in MP3 Direct Cut is that I was using the most recent version of DC,version 2.28.  Thanks to Brian's suggestion, I examined the add-ons details with the insert-h key combination. The author clearly states that the add-on was only tested up to version 2.23 of DC.  I downloaded version 2.23 and installed it over 2.28 and the chatter is now gone!  So if you want to use the NVDA Direct Cut add-on, I recommend using a version of DC no later than 2.23.

Rich De Steno