Topics

web pages not refreshing

Don H

Running NVDA 2019.3.1 on a win 10 laptop using either Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge as my browser.
Running into more and more issues with web pages not being refreshed so that NVDA reads the new page after hitting enter on a link or other control. Have to use the alt tab keys to get NVDA back on the new refreshed page.
Is this issue being addressed by the NVDA development team?
Thanks

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Don

I reported this problem with refreshing etc to Quentin along with a long. I had had a couple of reports about nvda not refreshing in google chrome, the new edge etc it seems to be the chromium based browsers. some said they had to alt/tab away then come back and the page would refresh.

A log was also sent along to him when it was happening on a banking website.

Some said using the space bar and nvda key would refresh the page. The nvda key + F5 key will do the same.

Not sure if he did a ticket he usually lets you know when he does.

Gene nz

On 21/02/2020 9:27 am, Don H wrote:
Running NVDA 2019.3.1 on a win 10 laptop using either Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge as my browser.
Running into more and more issues with web pages not being refreshed so that NVDA reads the new page after hitting enter on a link or other control.  Have to use the alt tab keys to get NVDA back on the new refreshed page.
Is this issue being addressed by the NVDA development team?
Thanks

I've seen the same thing. I use Microsoft Edge here. It occurred with alphas of NVDA as well.

On 2/20/2020 3:27 PM, Don H wrote:
Running NVDA 2019.3.1 on a win 10 laptop using either Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge as my browser.
Running into more and more issues with web pages not being refreshed so that NVDA reads the new page after hitting enter on a link or other control.  Have to use the alt tab keys to get NVDA back on the new refreshed page.
Is this issue being addressed by the NVDA development team?
Thanks

Quentin Christensen

Sorry folks, I haven't been ignoring those who have reported this to me directly.  We've had a few reports of this, and I can recreate it myself.  I hadn't yet created an issue, I was trying to investigate exactly what was going on with it.  In the meantime, someone else has created https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/10801 which seems as good a place as any to record any more info on this issue (feel free to comment on that issue if you can add any technical info, a log, etc).

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Dave Grossoehme

Good morning:  The windows hotkey of f5 also refreshes as well. Have you tried this key stroke?

Dave

On 2/20/2020 1:27 PM, Don H wrote:
Running NVDA 2019.3.1 on a win 10 laptop using either Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge as my browser.
Running into more and more issues with web pages not being refreshed so that NVDA reads the new page after hitting enter on a link or other control.  Have to use the alt tab keys to get NVDA back on the new refreshed page.
Is this issue being addressed by the NVDA development team?
Thanks

Monte Single

Yes, I have used the f5 key by itself with Internet Explorer, Firefox and chrome with nvda as my screenreader.
I have never experienced the need for a secondary key such as insert.
Whatever works, I'll try it.

On 2/20/2020 1:27 PM, Don H wrote:
Running NVDA 2019.3.1 on a win 10 laptop using either Google Chrome or
Microsoft Edge as my browser.
Running into more and more issues with web pages not being refreshed
so that NVDA reads the new page after hitting enter on a link or other
control. Have to use the alt tab keys to get NVDA back on the new
refreshed page.
Is this issue being addressed by the NVDA development team?
Thanks

Sarah k Alawami

I didn't think that keyboard keystroke existed? Windows f5 I mean. What does that do exactly. Do you mean control f5 to force refresh the page?

to subscribe to the feed click here

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page

On 2/20/2020 1:27 PM, Don H wrote:

Running NVDA 2019.3.1 on a win 10 laptop using either Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge as my browser.
Running into more and more issues with web pages not being refreshed so that NVDA reads the new page after hitting enter on a link or other control.  Have to use the alt tab keys to get NVDA back on the new refreshed page.
Is this issue being addressed by the NVDA development team?
Thanks

Gene

F5 does something different.  It reloads the web page in the browser.  It also causes the browse mode buffer to refresh because that is what happens when you refresh the underlying web page.  I would think that using f5 would have very undesirable effects when doing something like filling out a form.  I would think that refreshing the underlying page would remove all information you previously added to the form.

Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 10:42 AM

On 2/20/2020 1:27 PM, Don H wrote:
> Running NVDA 2019.3.1 on a win 10 laptop using either Google Chrome or
> Microsoft Edge as my browser.
> Running into more and more issues with web pages not being refreshed
> so that NVDA reads the new page after hitting enter on a link or other
> control.  Have to use the alt tab keys to get NVDA back on the new
> refreshed page.
> Is this issue being addressed by the NVDA development team?
> Thanks

Monte Single

Hi Folks,I started using Internet explorer with win 95 and  I used the f5 key to refresh the browser.

Yes, it is a windows keystroke and I started using it  with Internet Epplorer and win 95  and that was in the last millennium.

At that time I was using screen magnification.  So as I said in my previous post, Now I use f5  with chrome and firefox and nvda as the screenreader.

On 2/20/2020 1:27 PM, Don H wrote:

Running NVDA 2019.3.1 on a win 10 laptop using either Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge as my browser.
Running into more and more issues with web pages not being refreshed so that NVDA reads the new page after hitting enter on a link or other control.  Have to use the alt tab keys to get NVDA back on the new refreshed page.
Is this issue being addressed by the NVDA development team?
Thanks

Felix G.

Yes, F5 has been around for some time.

On 2/20/2020 1:27 PM, Don H wrote:

Running NVDA 2019.3.1 on a win 10 laptop using either Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge as my browser.
Running into more and more issues with web pages not being refreshed so that NVDA reads the new page after hitting enter on a link or other control. Have to use the alt tab keys to get NVDA back on the new refreshed page.
Is this issue being addressed by the NVDA development team?
Thanks

Don H

I have found that sometimes the insert F5 does not resolve the problem and that a alt tab does. It sure would be nice if this issue was resolved as part of a NVDA update if it is really a NVDA issue.

On 2/20/2020 1:27 PM, Don H wrote:
Running NVDA 2019.3.1 on a win 10 laptop using either Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge as my browser.
Running into more and more issues with web pages not being refreshed so that NVDA reads the new page after hitting enter on a link or other control.  Have to use the alt tab keys to get NVDA back on the new refreshed page.
Is this issue being addressed by the NVDA development team?
Thanks

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Part of a message below about chrome.

We've had a couple of reports of similar things.  I can reproduce at least some of the issues as well.  I believe they stem from recent Chrome updates (since Chrome updates itself behind the scenes, it can be hard to notice until something goes wrong, and when it comes around the time you've updated something like your screen reader, it's easy to be unsure exactly who to blame).

Gene nz

On 2/20/2020 1:27 PM, Don H wrote:
Running NVDA 2019.3.1 on a win 10 laptop using either Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge as my browser.
Running into more and more issues with web pages not being refreshed so that NVDA reads the new page after hitting enter on a link or other control.  Have to use the alt tab keys to get NVDA back on the new refreshed page.
Is this issue being addressed by the NVDA development team?
Thanks

Ralf Kefferpuetz

It is not a NVDA issue at all. When running portable google chrome beta 8.1 the problem disappears. It is a problem with chrome 8.0.x. Chrome 8.1 is scheduled to be released mid of March.

Cheers,
Ralf

On 2/20/2020 1:27 PM, Don H wrote:
Running NVDA 2019.3.1 on a win 10 laptop using either Google Chrome
or Microsoft Edge as my browser.
Running into more and more issues with web pages not being refreshed
so that NVDA reads the new page after hitting enter on a link or
other control. Have to use the alt tab keys to get NVDA back on the
new refreshed page.
Is this issue being addressed by the NVDA development team?
Thanks

Gene

The way to have checked this before the recent information came out would have been very simple.  You would run the last version of NVDA, either as a portable or installed program, and tested the same situations in Chrome that are causing problems with the newest NVDA version.

Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 12:39 PM

It is not a NVDA issue at all. When running portable google chrome beta 8.1 the problem disappears. It is a problem with chrome 8.0.x. Chrome 8.1 is scheduled to be released mid of March.

Cheers,
  Ralf

I have found that sometimes the insert F5 does not resolve the problem and that a alt tab does.  It sure would be nice if this issue was resolved as part of a NVDA update if it is really a NVDA issue.

On 2/26/2020 10:42 AM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:
> Good morning:  The windows hotkey of f5 also refreshes as well. Have
> you tried this key stroke?
>
> Dave
>

> On 2/20/2020 1:27 PM, Don H wrote:
>> Running NVDA 2019.3.1 on a win 10 laptop using either Google Chrome
>> or Microsoft Edge as my browser.
>> Running into more and more issues with web pages not being refreshed
>> so that NVDA reads the new page after hitting enter on a link or
>> other control.  Have to use the alt tab keys to get NVDA back on the
>> new refreshed page.
>> Is this issue being addressed by the NVDA development team?
>> Thanks

Don H

Some say that the problem with web pages not refreshing is a browser problem and not a NVDA issue. I just went to several web pages using Google Chrome and Jaws 2020 and the web pages refreshed as they should. So for me anyway it seems to be a NVDA issue.

Greg Wocher

Hello,
I have seen this issue with JAWS 2020. It happens to me quite frequently on Amazon. I have seen it with NVDA as well but not quite as often. I mainly see this behavior in chromium based browsers. I have not noticed it in Firefox.

Greg Wocher

On Feb 26, 2020, at 2:09 PM, Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:

Some say that the problem with web pages not refreshing is a browser problem and not a NVDA issue. I just went to several web pages using Google Chrome and Jaws 2020 and the web pages refreshed as they should. So for me anyway it seems to be a NVDA issue.

Felix G.

Hello,
This issue has persistently eluded my attempts at reproducing it reliably, but I keep seeing it. I can confirm it seems to affect Chromium-based browsers only.
Best,
Felix

Greg Wocher <gwocher@...> schrieb am Mi. 26. Feb. 2020 um 21:16:

Hello,
I have seen this issue with JAWS 2020. It happens to me quite frequently on Amazon. I have seen it with NVDA as well but not quite as often. I mainly see this behavior in chromium based browsers. I have not noticed it in Firefox.

Greg Wocher

> On Feb 26, 2020, at 2:09 PM, Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:
>
> Some say that the problem with web pages not refreshing is a browser problem and not a NVDA issue.  I just went to several web pages using Google Chrome and Jaws 2020 and the web pages refreshed as they should. So for me anyway it seems to be a NVDA issue.

Adriani Botez

This seems fixed in Chrome 81 Beta which is scheduled to be released on March 17th.

This issue has persistently eluded my attempts at reproducing it reliably, but I keep seeing it. I can confirm it seems to affect Chromium-based browsers only.

Best,

Felix

Greg Wocher <gwocher@...> schrieb am Mi. 26. Feb. 2020 um 21:16:

Hello,
I have seen this issue with JAWS 2020. It happens to me quite frequently on Amazon. I have seen it with NVDA as well but not quite as often. I mainly see this behavior in chromium based browsers. I have not noticed it in Firefox.

Greg Wocher

> On Feb 26, 2020, at 2:09 PM, Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:
>
> Some say that the problem with web pages not refreshing is a browser problem and not a NVDA issue.  I just went to several web pages using Google Chrome and Jaws 2020 and the web pages refreshed as they should. So for me anyway it seems to be a NVDA issue.

molly the blind tech lover

Hi.

I’ve seen this issue as well. Glad it’s being fixed 😊

This seems fixed in Chrome 81 Beta which is scheduled to be released on March 17th.

This issue has persistently eluded my attempts at reproducing it reliably, but I keep seeing it. I can confirm it seems to affect Chromium-based browsers only.

Best,

Felix

Greg Wocher <gwocher@...> schrieb am Mi. 26. Feb. 2020 um 21:16:

Hello,
I have seen this issue with JAWS 2020. It happens to me quite frequently on Amazon. I have seen it with NVDA as well but not quite as often. I mainly see this behavior in chromium based browsers. I have not noticed it in Firefox.

Greg Wocher

> On Feb 26, 2020, at 2:09 PM, Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:
>
> Some say that the problem with web pages not refreshing is a browser problem and not a NVDA issue.  I just went to several web pages using Google Chrome and Jaws 2020 and the web pages refreshed as they should. So for me anyway it seems to be a NVDA issue.

I don't need this all day in chrome thank goodness but I have noticed it.

That does bring up another interesting question though

If google chrome is doing this, then chromium itself is doing this.

If chromium itself is doing this then edge is doing this as well as every other chromium based brouser.

So when google fix chromium and it becomes stable, then everything should fix itself at the same time or am I being to simplistic.