Topics

nvda key q to quit or restart


brice Mijares
 

Ever since the latest update to NVDA, messages in Thunderbird won't read, selecting text, files and folders and the copy or cut command won't work. NVDA key q don't work, so I have to hold down the control key alt key and hit n twice rapidly.  How would I get a copy of the log file if this is happening every time I boot my system? Thanks.


 

Have you done a full uninstall, reboot (using Restart if you have Fast Startup enabled under Windows 10), and reinstall from a fresh copy of the installer?   If you haven't, you should.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

       ~ Madonna

 

 


brice Mijares
 

Brian, What is meant by a full unstall? if you mean uninstalling from add and remove, I can do that. and I have fast reboot disabled.

On 2/21/2020 6:33 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Have you done a full uninstall, reboot (using Restart if you have Fast Startup enabled under Windows 10), and reinstall from a fresh copy of the installer?   If you haven't, you should.

--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

*Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.*

~ Madonna


 

Brice,

           You've pretty much got it.  I mean uninstalling the program either from Control Panel, Programs & Features, or using the Start Menu uninstall option if a given program creates one.  I virtually always go straight to Programs & Features and uninstall from there.

           There are all sorts of peculiar corruptions that can creep in to any given program on very rare occasions for who knows what reasons.  When you start seeing a cluster of really atypical behaviors, it generally takes much more time to sort them out, if you ever can, than it does to just "nuke and pave" for that program.  Since a very great many programs (and I think NVDA is among those) allow you to uninstall all of the program itself while still allowing user profile(s) to remain in place, it's often faster and easier to just uninstall/reinstall as an initial step to see if that clears the issues.

           It's the software equivalent of the oft-repeated hardware solution of, "Have you turned it off and back on again?"
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

       ~ Madonna

 

 


Jackie
 

Hey Bryce, b4 doing what Brian says, just curious--do you have any
addons installed? If so, perhaps try disabling these & see if your
results differ.

On 2/21/20, Brian Vogel <@britechguy> wrote:
Brice,

You've pretty much got it.  I mean uninstalling the program either from
Control Panel, Programs & Features, or using the Start Menu uninstall option
if a given program creates one.  I virtually always go straight to Programs
& Features and uninstall from there.

There are all sorts of peculiar corruptions that can creep in to any given
program on very rare occasions for who knows what reasons.  When you start
seeing a cluster of really atypical behaviors, it generally takes much more
time to sort them out, if you ever can, than it does to just "nuke and pave"
for that program.  Since a very great many programs (and I think NVDA is
among those) allow you to uninstall all of the program itself while still
allowing user profile(s) to remain in place, it's often faster and easier to
just uninstall/reinstall as an initial step to see if that clears the
issues.

It's the software equivalent of the oft-repeated hardware solution of, "Have
you turned it off and back on again?"
--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

*Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.*

~ Madonna



--
Subscribe to a WordPress for Newbies Mailing List by sending a message to:
wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by
visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
& check out my sites at www.brighter-vision.com & www.mysitesbeenhacked.com


Jackie
 

Also, Brice, Make sure you've got your keyboard set to the proper
layout. I've noticed that sometimes if you've got a desktop layout but
you want your capslock key to be used as an NVDA key, you've gotta go
in & check it, as it's unchecked by default. But do try running
w/addons disabled--& always restart your system after an update just
to ensure everything got truly installed.

You don't say what version of Windows you're running, & that may or
may not be helpful, but it is really information that should be
included in any support request.

On 2/21/20, Jackie McBride <abletec@...> wrote:
Hey Bryce, b4 doing what Brian says, just curious--do you have any
addons installed? If so, perhaps try disabling these & see if your
results differ.

On 2/21/20, Brian Vogel <@britechguy> wrote:
Brice,

You've pretty much got it.  I mean uninstalling the program either from
Control Panel, Programs & Features, or using the Start Menu uninstall
option
if a given program creates one.  I virtually always go straight to
Programs
& Features and uninstall from there.

There are all sorts of peculiar corruptions that can creep in to any
given
program on very rare occasions for who knows what reasons.  When you
start
seeing a cluster of really atypical behaviors, it generally takes much
more
time to sort them out, if you ever can, than it does to just "nuke and
pave"
for that program.  Since a very great many programs (and I think NVDA is
among those) allow you to uninstall all of the program itself while still
allowing user profile(s) to remain in place, it's often faster and easier
to
just uninstall/reinstall as an initial step to see if that clears the
issues.

It's the software equivalent of the oft-repeated hardware solution of,
"Have
you turned it off and back on again?"
--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

*Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.*

~ Madonna




--
Subscribe to a WordPress for Newbies Mailing List by sending a message to:
wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by
visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
& check out my sites at www.brighter-vision.com & www.mysitesbeenhacked.com
--
Subscribe to a WordPress for Newbies Mailing List by sending a message to:
wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by
visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
& check out my sites at www.brighter-vision.com & www.mysitesbeenhacked.com


brice Mijares
 

Thank you, I'll give it a go.

On 2/21/2020 7:32 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Brice,

           You've pretty much got it.  I mean uninstalling the program either from Control Panel, Programs & Features, or using the Start Menu uninstall option if a given program creates one.  I virtually always go straight to Programs & Features and uninstall from there.

           There are all sorts of peculiar corruptions that can creep in to any given program on very rare occasions for who knows what reasons.  When you start seeing a cluster of really atypical behaviors, it generally takes much more time to sort them out, if you ever can, than it does to just "nuke and pave" for that program.  Since a very great many programs (and I think NVDA is among those) allow you to uninstall all of the program itself while still allowing user profile(s) to remain in place, it's often faster and easier to just uninstall/reinstall as an initial step to see if that clears the issues.

           It's the software equivalent of the oft-repeated hardware solution of, "Have you turned it off and back on again?"
--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

*Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.*

~ Madonna


 

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 10:34 AM, Jackie wrote:
If so, perhaps try disabling these [NVDA Add-Ons] & see if your
results differ.
Also an excellent piece of advice, along with checking that your keyboard layout is, indeed, what you believe it to be.  It makes sense to do all "the easy checks" before going on to the more time consuming ones.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

       ~ Madonna

 

 


hurrikennyandopo ...
 

Hi


Make sure your copy under general settings is set to log in debug and save your settings.


You can grab the old log  pressing the windows key + letter R then by typing %temp% then press the enter key.

Then locate the nvda old log.

Then it can be added to a ticket or a ticket made etc.

If you do make a ticket make sure you put down all the details to recreate the problem etc version of nvda operating system and so on.


If you want to try and catch it before a reboot press the nvda key + f1 key then save the log.


Gene nz

On 22/02/2020 2:55 am, brice Mijares wrote:
Ever since the latest update to NVDA, messages in Thunderbird won't read, selecting text, files and folders and the copy or cut command won't work. NVDA key q don't work, so I have to hold down the control key alt key and hit n twice rapidly.  How would I get a copy of the log file if this is happening every time I boot my system? Thanks.



brice Mijares
 

Problem solved. Uninstalled and reinstalled and everything is right so far. Thanks to all.

On 2/21/2020 11:17 AM, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi


Make sure your copy under general settings is set to log in debug and save your settings.


You can grab the old log  pressing the windows key + letter R then by typing %temp% then press the enter key.

Then locate the nvda old log.

Then it can be added to a ticket or a ticket made etc.

If you do make a ticket make sure you put down all the details to recreate the problem etc version of nvda operating system and so on.


If you want to try and catch it before a reboot press the nvda key + f1 key then save the log.


Gene nz


On 22/02/2020 2:55 am, brice Mijares wrote:
Ever since the latest update to NVDA, messages in Thunderbird won't read, selecting text, files and folders and the copy or cut command won't work. NVDA key q don't work, so I have to hold down the control key alt key and hit n twice rapidly.  How would I get a copy of the log file if this is happening every time I boot my system? Thanks.




Sarah k Alawami
 

Your control key might be stuck virtually. I've ben getting this since an updating January and it has not be fixed with every update LTHEREAFTER, , in fact it is getting worse. This I don't think is an nvda issue hence I would report this to Microsoft. I already sent feedback with windows f.

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.

to subscribe to the feed click here

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 21 Feb 2020, at 6:33, Brian Vogel wrote:

Have you done a full uninstall, reboot (using Restart if you have Fast Startup enabled under Windows 10), and reinstall from a fresh copy of the installer?   If you haven't, you should.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

       ~ Madonna