From: Don H
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2020 7:56 PM
Subject: [nvda] backup speech dicitionaries

Having made several additions to the dafault NVDA speech dictionary, is
there a way to back it up?

Just did a quick Everything Search, and my default speech dictionary is:

C:\Users\brite\AppData\Roaming\nvda\speechDicts\default.dic

Substitute the correct part of the file path for you own user account for C:\Users\brite and that's where your respective speech dictionary should be, too.

       ~ Madonna

Rui Fontes

Hello!

It is also possible to use:

%appdata%\nvda\speechDicts

to open the folder where are stored all personal dictionaries.

Best regards,

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 15:19 de 24/02/2020, Brian Vogel escreveu:

Just did a quick Everything Search, and my default speech dictionary is:

C:\Users\brite\AppData\Roaming\nvda\speechDicts\default.dic

Substitute the correct part of the file path for you own user account for C:\Users\brite and that's where your respective speech dictionary should be, too.

       ~ Madonna

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 10:22 AM, Rui Fontes wrote:

It is also possible to use:

%appdata%\nvda\speechDicts

Absolutely true.  And a great piece of information.   I'm just not presuming that most will be in a context where environment variables are at play when looking for it.

If you're trying to find the folder I noted earlier, and that %appdata% would get you to, in File Explorer you must have set hidden files and folders to be displayed, otherwise the AppData folder is hidden.

       ~ Madonna

Tyler Spivey

Edited

You can just type %appdata%\nvda into the run dialog and get there.

There's also Explore NVDA user configuration directory in the NVDA folder in the Start menu.

On 2/24/2020 7:33 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 10:22 AM, Rui Fontes wrote:

It is also possible to use:

%appdata%\nvda\speechDicts

Absolutely true.  And a great piece of information.   I'm just not presuming that most will be in a context where environment variables are at play when looking for it.

If you're trying to find the folder I noted earlier, and that %appdata% would get you to, in File Explorer you must have set hidden files and folders to be displayed, otherwise the AppData folder is hidden.

       ~ Madonna

Gene

No one has mentioned doing a Windows search.  This is important to know both that it exists and how to use it.  It is also something a lot of people would use instead of other methods.  If you search for speechDicts using Windows search you will find the folder.  You don't have to open it unless you want to.  You can copy it to the clipboard in the search results.

I'm not talking about using the start menu search.  I'm talking about Windows search, control f to get to the edit field when in the list of files and folders.

Its probably the same or just about the same from Windows 7 through Windows 10.  Type speechDicts and then tab to the list of results, which will grow longer if more results are found over time.

Close the search with alt f4 when finished.

Don't press enter after typing the search.  Just tab to the list.  The search begins automatically when you type what you are searching for.