Topics

Calling all beginners: topics to be covered during NvDACon 2016 #NVDACon

Hello all,

First, thank you all for joining the next generation NVDA International users list.

The leadership team would like to receive feedback from beginning NVDA users regarding the following:

2016 is a special year for NVDA users: NVDA turns ten. To celebrate this, some members of the community are organizing a huge online conference around NVDA’s tenth birthday: NVDA Users and Developers Conference (NVDACon for short), to be held in April 2016.

NVDACon is an annual gathering of NVDA users and developers to talk about current state of NVDA development. Topics have included math support, braille enhancements, supporting Windows 10, web browsing, Google applications and more. This year, to coordinate NVDACon 2016, several members of this list, together with outside supporters and NV Access formed a planning committee to discuss planning and logistics of this online conference.

One of the suggestions considered by organizers is a session or two devoted to beginners. The goals of these sessions are to introduce you to NVDA and its features, understanding concepts such as NVDA menu, object navigation, web browsing and others, an introduction to add-ons and more. Because organizers would like to receive feedback from many fellow community members, we’d like to ask you to send in your suggestions to the committee by either contacting committee members (Nimer, I, Derek Riemer and others), or sending an email to nvda+owner@groups.io with the subject line of “NVDACon 2016” and the admins will forward it to the committee for consideration during our next meeting (sometime in March). Also, even if you are not a beginner (or consider yourself a power user), more suggestions, the better, so we’ll accept suggestions from you as well. The deadline for receiving your email will be March 14, 2016 (shortly before Accessible World Tek Talk event on NVDA and NVDACon) so we can discuss your comments and finalize the schedule by early April.

Thank you, and the NVDACon Planning Committee are looking forward to considering your comments.

Sincerely,

Joseph

Joseph S. Lee

Moderator, NVDA International users forum (http://groups.io/g/nvda)

Chair, NVDA Tenth Anniversary Planning Committee (http://groups.io/g/nvdacon)

P.S. For all NVDACon related communication, including a general invite to be sent to this list in April, please use #NVDACon hashtag. Thanks.

Hello,
I am not sure, what kind of suggestions are addressing?

Joseph Lee 於 3/3/2016 14:33 寫道:

[...]

Hi,

Suggestions regarding topics that should be discussed during beginner sessions (there might be two sessions for beginners).

Cheers,

Joseph

I am not sure, what kind of suggestions are addressing?

Joseph Lee 3/3/2016 14:33 寫道:

[...]

Andre Fisher

I am not a beginner, but introducing NVDA to a new user is something I
have done on many occasions. Things they ask include:
1. How do I start NVDA? (either desktop shortcut way, starting .exe
way, Run dialog way or Start menu way is discussed)
2. How do I quit NVDA?
3. How do I change the voice? Because the default one is too robotic
for my taste!
4. Web browsing: how do I turn off verbose elements like clickable,
table headers, landmarks, editor revisions, emphasis, etc.
5. Web browsing: single letter navigation (basics etc.)
6. Speech on or off, sleep on or off (what's the difference?)
7. Configuration profiles (benefits, warnings)
8. Keyboard layouts (differences, etc.)
9. Installing NVDA by one's self...how to (also update)
10. User guide popular applications and tricks (like Skype, MS
Word/Excel/PowerPoint)

or sending an email to nvda+owner@groups.io <mailto:nvda+owner@groups.io>
[...]

Chris Mullins

Having moved to NVDA from Jaws I found the concepts of Object, Document and Screen review, Navigator Object and review and Browse cursors particularly confusing as I couldn't find documentation that explained what they were and in what circumstances they are used.

Cheers
Chris

nvda+owner@groups.io <mailto:nvda+owner@groups.io> with the subject
[...]

Gene NZ <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

A while ago i started putting together a blindness related website and parts of it cover stuff to do with NVDA. They are done from a blind users prospective using a desktop pc at that time. The operating system was windows 7 and different versions of NVDA were used as they came out. Not every thing in each release was put up there but enough to get a person up and running with NVDA.

I am always adding to it both on blindness related stuff as well as NVDA.

I was reading some of your ideas some I did not think of and made sence, so if you wanted to, I could put more of the basic stuff up there. For example turning off the verbos of nvda saying link, heading etc and where to look.

The website if you want to have a look is at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

The pages have a lot of information and are long.

They can also be found under the guide section.
It does not have laptop commands as I don't use a laptop on those pages.

Hopefully the pages cover a fair bit of material.

Gene nz

On 04-Mar-16 5:56 AM, Andre Fisher wrote:
[...]

I would suggest how to put NVDA in a portable flash drive and let it run automatically when plugin to new computers

Joseph Lee 於 4/3/2016 0:31 寫道:

[...]

Aravind R

yes. even after creating portable copy, we have to use naratter in
unknown computers, go into pendrive and run nvda.exe file from
portable folder

On 3/4/16, Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William <@WilliamWai> wrote:
[...]

r. aravind,

Assistant manager
Department of sales
mobile no: +91 9940369593, 9710945613.
email id : aravind_069@..., aravind.andhrabank@....

Pete <emac00@...>

hi
if one does an autorun.inf to start nvda on u s b drive user account control pops up and asks to continue. Not sure either alt + y or may be alt + r to allow nvda to run is needed, and that's if autorun is not disabled. Same thing for a cd rom.
Pete