Topics

Issue switching between browse & focus mode with NVDA+Spacebar

Danni

somehow I changed a setting so when I hit space bar and insert key at the same time it switches from brouse mode to focus and I can't figure out how to make it stop?

i don't think you changed anything. It is supposed to do this.

On 3/2/2020 12:49 AM, Danni wrote:
somehow I changed a setting so when I hit space bar and insert key at the same time it switches from brouse mode to focus and I can't figure out how to make it stop?

Quentin Christensen

Hi Danni,

As mentioned, that's the expected behaviour - it forces NVDA to change modes even when it doesn't want to automatically (on the web it also keeps NVDA in the new mode even if you do something that would otherwise change modes, eg moving onto an edit box - that can be useful for a form which jumps between controls and instructions and otherwise jumps between modes constantly.  

What are you trying to do (with NVDA+spacebar) otherwise?

Regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 4:54 PM Danni <luv2ride67@...> wrote:

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Gene

It is supposed to do that.  it is a toggle that switches between the two modes, that is, browse mode on and browse mode off.  You can't turn it off.  Maybe you can reassign the command to different keys, but you clearly didn't because the command is working. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2020 11:49 PM
Subject: [nvda] Uhhh

Gene

Also, your subject line tells us absulutely nothing.  Uhhh is not even remotely a subject line.  A sample subject line for your mnessage might be something like, turning browse mode on.  If you use such completely uncommunicative subject lines, many people will just skip your message and you will not have as good a chance of getting help.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2020 11:49 PM
Subject: [nvda] Uhhh

Rosemarie Chavarria

That's what it's supposed to do.

On 3/1/2020 9:49 PM, Danni wrote:

Danni

well that sucks it's annoying! and never did it before but oh well why not another annoyance?

and thanks for the criticism by gene it's not apreciated!

Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2020 10:34 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Uhhh

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 10:46 AM, Danni wrote:
But it's correct.   There is a very good reason that the group rules include the following, which was just sent to the membership in the Monthly Group Rules Reminder for the NVDA Group (nvda@nvda.groups.io):

4.  Think very carefully about the title you are going to give any topic you post.  The topic is the first (and, sometimes, only) thing a member sees and that may be how they decide if they’re going to look further.   Generic titles, such as “Help Me!,” are not helpful because they give no idea about what.  Compare that to something like, “NVDA not reading Excel cell contents,” or, “NVDA setting for pronouncing numbers,” where the exact issue where help is needed is front and center.   Even something like, “Need help with the following . . .,” lets the reader know that you are going to present a list of issues.

The use of meaningless topic titles serves absolutely no one, and they should be avoided.  Topic has now been changed to, "Issue switching between browse & focus mode with NVDA+Spacebar," which is actually descriptive.

Please make any follow-ups to this topic.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

~ Madonna

Gene

Its unfortunate that some people can't distinguish between constructive and destructive criticism.  I hope that this message will allow you to see that this is constructive criticism. 

I'm pointing out that your subject line tells us nothing and that many people will just skip messages with such subject lines.  If you don't take what I wrote in the spirit of me presenting useful information that will benefit you and other list members that is unfortunate.  Subject lines such as a question, curious, and so on, tell us nothing useful.  the subject line is called that because it tells us the subject of what a message deals with, such as, can't open the NvDA menu, or Chrome browser doesn't behave properly when filling out forms, or Winamp no longer plays MP3 files, etc. 

Many people decide whether to read messages based on the subject line.  If you want to consider what I wrote as negative criticism, that's unfortunate.

Gene

Sent: Monday, March 02, 2020 9:42 AM

well that sucks it's annoying! and never did it before but oh well why not another annoyance?

Quentin Christensen

It's definitely been the standard behaviour for... a very long time.  If not to force changing between browse and focus modes, why ARE you pressing NVDA+spacebar then and what do you expect to happen?

Quentin.

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 2:46 AM Danni <luv2ride67@...> wrote:

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager