NVDA2016.1 questions

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

Hi,
I have a few questions regarding NVDA 2016.1 and NVDA in particular.
1. NVDA 201.1 is freezing up a lot when I atempt to use iTunes. It's getting to the point that I am switching to another screen reader to use iTunes. Is there a fix for this issue?
2. When using a portable copy of NVDA, is there a way to set it to star automatically as soon as you plug it into your computer?
Thanks
Chris

Roger Stewart

Can't answer the first one, but I used to run a portable nvda on my netbook and I got it to start automatically by placing a shortcut to it's .exe file in the startup folder of Windows.

Roger

On 3/4/2016 11:51 AM, Chris Shook wrote:
Hi,
I have a few questions regarding NVDA 2016.1 and NVDA in particular.
1. NVDA 201.1 is freezing up a lot when I atempt to use iTunes. It's getting to the point that I am switching to another screen reader to use iTunes. Is there a fix for this issue?
2. When using a portable copy of NVDA, is there a way to set it to star automatically as soon as you plug it into your computer?
Thanks
Chris

Rob

Chris Shook <chris0309@samobile.net> wrote:

2. When using a portable copy of NVDA, is there a way to set it to star automatically as soon as you plug it into your computer?
You need to make an autorun file and put it on your flash drive. Keep in mind this will only work if you have autoplay turned on. It's a security feature.

juan gonzalez <jgonzalezh614@...>

I haven't used iTunes in a while so couldn't tell you what is happening,
but the last time i used it. it worked well with NVDA 15.4 and iTunes 12
or whatever the latest one was. It would be nice to have an auto run
feature for the portable copy of NVDA. I tried creating one and it would
only auto run in windows vista. Next project maybe would be to create an
NVDA stick that you can carry with you and it can just start talking as
soon as it is plugged in.

On 3/4/2016 12:03 PM, Roger Stewart wrote:
Can't answer the first one, but I used to run a portable nvda on my
netbook and I got it to start automatically by placing a shortcut to
it's .exe file in the startup folder of Windows.

Roger

On 3/4/2016 11:51 AM, Chris Shook wrote:
Hi,
I have a few questions regarding NVDA 2016.1 and NVDA in particular.
1. NVDA 201.1 is freezing up a lot when I atempt to use iTunes. It's
getting to the point that I am switching to another screen reader to
use iTunes. Is there a fix for this issue?
2. When using a portable copy of NVDA, is there a way to set it to
star automatically as soon as you plug it into your computer?
Thanks
Chris

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

Yeah, 15.4 worked good with iTunes, so I don't know if is iTunes or 2016.1.
I wonder if there's any chance of a fix before 2016.2 comes out.

Dan Kerstetter

Honestly, I don't know of any screen reader that works particularly well
with iTunes. So far NVDA seems to be the best of the three that I have. I
hope someone might be able to write an ad-on for it someday. (smile)

Just my two cents worth.

Dan

[...]

Hey Dan,
What other screen readers do you have? I have NVDA and System Access installed on my computer. I could install JAWS, but I wasn't sure how much better it would work with iTunes.
Of the two, NVDA is more reliable. I just tried to use System Access a few minutes ago and it cut out after only a few minutes.
Thanks
Chris

Liel Ben Simon ליאל בן סימון <liel580@...>

Hi Chris and all.regarding to NVDA i didn't try to work with iTunes and i don't know how NVDA behave with this.
unfurtunatly it' isn't imposable to activate automaticaly whenNVDA has bin insstaledon your hard drive.

Sent from  my iphone

‫ב-4 במרץ 2016, בשעה 19:51, ‏‏Chris Shook ‏<chris0309@...> כתב/ה:‬

Hi,
I have a few questions regarding NVDA 2016.1 and NVDA in particular.
1. NVDA 201.1 is freezing up a lot when I atempt to use iTunes. It's getting to the point that I am switching to another screen reader to use iTunes. Is there a fix for this issue?
2. When using a portable copy of NVDA, is there a way to set it to star automatically as soon as you plug it into your computer?
Thanks
Chris

Gene NZ <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

If you mean you want nvda to start on startup when windows does and you are using a installed version have a look under the general settings part of NVDA.

Just in cast you don't know how to start NVDA when it is not running use the CTRL + ALT + the letter N
To get into the preferences part of NVDA where you can makie changes etc use the NVDA key + the letter N
To quit your copy of NVDA use the NVDA key + the letter Q

Where I refer to the NVDA key this is a modifier key and can be either the insert key, the extended insert key or the capslock key, so one of these keys will be used say to turn off NVDA for example insert key + the letter Q

If you go into the preferences section of NVDA, to get there use the NVDA key + the letter N. You may have to arrow down for it to say prefences , thenyou will have to arrow right to general settings, press the enter key. Inside of there will be where you find it. Make sure it is checked to start nVDA when windows does, plus and the one below it should be checked as well.

Hope this helps.

Gene nz

On 05-Mar-16 9:21 AM, Liel Ben Simon ליאל בן סימון wrote:
[...]

A while ago I put together different ways on how to start NVDA with a USB stick and or a CD version.
Any files that were needed are there as well.

A few years back Microsoft disabled the autoplay menu so the way it used to be started like that will not do it, because the autoplay menu was disabled. You have to enable the autoplay menu for it to work.

I know it works on the CD version but ca not remember for the USB version, I would have to check. I will have a look later on today on my windows 10 machine and see if it still works with the autoplay menu when the USB stick is plugged in.

Any how there are other ways of starting NVDA up there if you want to check them out. The link to this page is http://accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20audio%20tutorials.html
You can jump down quickly to the section by using the letter H in NVDA. Look for the section to do with USB stick and CD.

Hope this helps.

Gene nz

On 05-Mar-16 7:32 AM, juan gonzalez wrote:
[...]

Lino Morales

Chris I think you are referring to the freezing of iTunes 12.03 when you are looking around in the store and Apple Music? I am still dealing with that here in 2016.1. I thought this was resolved, but it is not.

On 3/4/2016 1:32 PM, juan gonzalez wrote:
[...]

Dan it doesn't need an add-on. JFW and System Access works fine with it. The only thing that bothered me and is now fixed is the refreshing in the iTunes Store and Apple Music. Now for NVDA to quit freezing out of nowhere in said areas would be great and Michael and James to get on it before 2016.2 comes would be awesome!

On 3/4/2016 1:59 PM, Dan Kerstetter wrote:
[...]

Lino,
That is exactly what I'm referring to. I think I'll download JAWS and give it a spin with iTunes if you say it does good with NVDA.